Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Car is on a Diet.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am fairly certain I adamantly stated that I was NOT going to do this...and well, here we are. So if you are like me, and feel that all of those fancy parts that came with the car that you paid for must be removed and weighed, please - join the aid group.

Without ado, I present you with weights!

Front Seats: 55lbs (each)
Rear 40 Seat: 13lbs
Rear 60 Seat: 24lbs
Rear Bottom Seat: 15lbs
Rear Bolsters: 2.5lbs (each)
Rear Load Floor Supports: 11oz (each)
Trunk Carpet (Full): 12.5lbs (Note: 2019+ are a two-piece design)
Trunk Load Floor: 3.5lbs
Rear Door Panels: 7lbs (each)
Subwoofer/Amplifier Assembly: 8.5lbs (Primarily in the Subwoofer)
Rear Seatbelt Retractors: 2.6lbs (each)
Front Trunk Storage Compartment: 15lbs (w/ hardware)

And weights graciously provided by others:

Windshield: 38lbs
Roof/Top Glass: 27.4lbs
Front Door Glass (Single Pane): 9.5lbs (Each)
Rear Door Glass: 7.6lbs (Each)
Trunk (Steel): 26.9lbs
12V Battery: 30lbs

By my calculations, by removing the 2nd row and trunk interior trim, the frunk, replacing the 12V battery with a lithium unit, replacing the top glass with lexan/polycarbonate, and replacing the front seats with some lightweight fixed-back seats, you can easily drop more than 200lbs.

Not to mention, there are gains to be had from lightweight rotors and suspension components, though a lot/all of that I have gained back with cooling components. More to come!

:D

If you have weights please add them!
My wife just read this and said, "Why would I go to all that effort when I can save even more weight by leaving you at home." I can't argue with that.

Down to 3,880lbs! I removed 228lbs, which means I've added back in roughly 50-60lbs of cooling modifications (including fluids which are pretty heavy), including a few other small add-ons (MPP Brace, CPC, Party Box, MoTeC Dash, Front Lip Spoiler, etc).

At this point, I still see the trunk and the top glass as the best opportunities to drop weight. Should be able to close in on 3,850 which I would be pretty happy with - about a 200lb drop from stock.

PXL_20210316_121320014.jpg

In collaboration with MPP, we've got some OMP fixed-back seats going in using some custom brackets that adapt to the OE sliders!

View attachment 653433

Also picked up a set of Titanium Lug Nuts from hyevolt.com - less than 50% of the weight of OEM, these save 1.2 pounds of rotational mass at an affordable price!

View attachment 653434
Cool.
So you can use it to adjust front-back and seat angle? How much higher it is vs stock? And how do you plan to use 3pt belt, I don't get it?

So, I am fairly certain I adamantly stated that I was NOT going to do this...and well, here we are. So if you are like me, and feel that all of those fancy parts that came with the car that you paid for must be removed and weighed, please - join the aid group.

Without ado, I present you with weights!

Front Seats: 55lbs (each)
Rear 40 Seat: 13lbs
Rear 60 Seat: 24lbs
Rear Bottom Seat: 15lbs
Rear Bolsters: 2.5lbs (each)
Rear Load Floor Supports: 11oz (each)
Trunk Carpet (Full): 12.5lbs (Note: 2019+ are a two-piece design)
Trunk Load Floor: 3.5lbs
Rear Door Panels: 7lbs (each)
Subwoofer/Amplifier Assembly: 8.5lbs (Primarily in the Subwoofer)
Rear Seatbelt Retractors: 2.6lbs (each)
Front Trunk Storage Compartment: 15lbs (w/ hardware)

And weights graciously provided by others:

Windshield: 38lbs
Roof/Top Glass: 27.4lbs
Front Door Glass (Single Pane): 9.5lbs (Each)
Rear Door Glass: 7.6lbs (Each)
Trunk (Steel): 26.9lbs
12V Battery: 30lbs

By my calculations, by removing the 2nd row and trunk interior trim, the frunk, replacing the 12V battery with a lithium unit, replacing the top glass with lexan/polycarbonate, and replacing the front seats with some lightweight fixed-back seats, you can easily drop more than 200lbs.

Not to mention, there are gains to be had from lightweight rotors and suspension components, though a lot/all of that I have gained back with cooling components. More to come!

:D

If you have weights please add them!
how much does this improve 0 to 60 mph out of interest.

Iono...maybe it’s the view but the launch at 2:57 mark looks pretty fast. Stripped down UP pikes peak car. If you’re not rocking the cage then it’s more savings.
For the record, the UP PP car weighed in at 3999lbs with randy in it. I would say an estimate of 600-700lbs of OE components were removed but the full cage and other misc items brought the curb weight back up. All windows are also lexan except the back window.

Last edited: