Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car is trying to run its battery out, stuck on in neutral.

demundus

Jul 5, 2015
Oceanside, CA
Some of you know i've had my fair share of issues with this thing but this one takes the cake:

I am on a work trip and took the wife's SUV. left her with the model S for the week. First day, she goes to get in and drive and the car gives her a parking brake failure, the car is stuck in neutral and she cant get it to do anything at all. The car wont reset using normal methods. Web browser wont connect to any webpages (which means i cant get to root console using WK's dashboard). The car wont allow her to open the frunk, its grey'd out. She left the car there and took a lyft. Got home that night the lights are all on and the car is just sitting there on. She was able to turn the lights off but now its just sitting on.

What actually blows me away is it wont restart using any of the normal methods!

Basically, the car is just on, no way to turn it off. Slowly leaking battery till i can get home later this week and try to unlatch the front truck manually and disconnect the 12v.

This is probably the worst thing that i've had happen and by far the most annoying. Based on my research i likely need to yank the parking brake modules off and replace them as its probably stuck.

Thanks for letting me vent.

kdday

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
What happens when she tries to go to the Car Menu (bottom left on MCU) and clicks Safety & Security > Power Off

kdday

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
I’m in my car now to play with my MCU. Your car must think it’s not in Park (thus the parking break error) so it won’t let it shut itself down.
Can she try changing gears again or putting it into park by pushing the button?

depending upon how handy she is, she can remove the cubby under the MCU and reach underneath and remove the three large wiring harnesses which will disconnect power.

CyberGus

Not Just a Member
May 5, 2020
Austin, TX
The Delorean uses a manual cable release to open the frunk. If the cable comes loose or breaks, then getting into the frunk becomes a significant challenge.

Big deal, right? Sure, except the fuel-filler is inside the frunk. So you have exactly 1 tank of gas to solve this problem, lol. The hood originally had a little door for accessing the gas cap, but stamping it out of stainless was causing too many hoods to be scrapped due to cracking.

As a result, many DMC owners have a secondary wire or string tied to the frunk latch, threaded through the firewall and just hanging under the dash for emergencies. I wonder if it would be possible to accomplish something similar for the Tesla frunk?

f205v

May 12, 2018
Tessin, Switzerland
Alternatively, if she can open the frunk, she can pull the security power loop.
This will disconnect the main battery form the car.
Once re-plugged the security loop, the car should reset.

demundus

Jul 5, 2015
Oceanside, CA
well she cant get in the frunk otherwise this woulda been very easy. ill know more tomorrow when i get home. funny every phone call she gets the car tries to "take" since its on... and sitting there.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC