Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car needs to go home to CA - How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Later this summer, we will be moving from FL to Los Angeles. The long threatened cross-country, all-electric road trip taking in national parks along the way may not be feasible, both for timing, and because 5 or 6 hours a day in the car, different hotel every night, restaurant food for 2 weeks, and disruption of her exercise routine is not my wife's idea of an adventure:-(

Has anyone had experience shipping a Model S cross country? Suggestions please.

Later this summer, we will be moving from FL to Los Angeles. The long threatened cross-country, all-electric road trip taking in national parks along the way may not be feasible, both for timing, and because 5 or 6 hours a day in the car, different hotel every night, restaurant food for 2 weeks, and disruption of her exercise routine is not my wife's idea of an adventure:-(

Has anyone had experience shipping a Model S cross country? Suggestions please.

Sure, use Yelp or a similar site to compare shipping companies. I'd say a good flatbed truck to ship your car point to point should be around $1K-2K depending on if you want it covered or not, etc. Just find a reputable company that is well insured, etc. (thus using a review site).

Have her fly and you meet her 3 weeks from now. Win win.
Seriously. We drove Rt66 cross-country when we moved here from Chicago (pre-Tesla) and it was absolutely fantastic. So much beautiful stuff in this country. I can't even fathom missing out on that because it interrupts my workout routine.

Doing it yourself sounds like a good compromise. If it at all interests you, I'd highly recommend it.

I've driven across country 10 times, but not recently. I floated the idea of going from Silicon Valley to Disney World and Miami, and my wife and daughter's vetoed, even though I've got a P85D and it's a fun car to drive. Like mentioned above, maybe you can persuade a buddy to go with you and have the wife fly out.

Or, you leave a few days early. Pack up your wife's travel necessities in the Tesla. Your wife agrees to fly to a mid-point of her choosing. She can bypass all the airport hassle as her luggage and personal effects are in the Tesla. Then you pick her up at the airport and resume your journey, taking as much (or as little) time as you two feel is right. Stay at hotels with workout facilities. It may not be a perfect answer, but it might be turn out to be a fun journey!

I just got a quote of $2000 to move my P85D from San Francisco to Boston in an enclosed container. I would not move the car cross country in an exposed transport but you may be willing to do so in which case it will probably save about $500. If you are moving and the van line is willing and you have the space, you can have it put into the 18 wheeler. You will need a flat bed at each end to move it in and out of the 18 wheeler.

I just got a quote of $2000 to move my P85D from San Francisco to Boston in an enclosed container. I would not move the car cross country in an exposed transport but you may be willing to do so in which case it will probably save about $500.
OP
I'm pretty sure you don't want to risk drama for $500.
I'm judging by what you've already spent to protect.
85kWh | Pearl White | Grey Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Xpel Ultimate | Spectra PhotoSync |

I agree -- it doesn't need to take that long. I drive the 2500 miles from San Antonio to Seattle twice a year in 4 days and my wife won't drive my Insight, so that is with one driver. I stop every 2 hours for 15-30 minutes in the ICE. The 3100 miles "as the supercharger flies" in a Tesla should be easy in 5 days, especially with two drivers.

As was mentioned, stay in hotels with fitness facilities. Not ideal, but it's only 4 nights.

As a retiree, I tend to think of how much any money saved would work out to, if that were my job. In this case, the $1500 or so you would save, extrapolated to an annual salary, works out to getting paid $78,000 a year to drive a Tesla. Few here would pass up that "job".