Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Car (non tesla) Got stolen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my car got stolen while it was running at my front door. It was raining so I went to take my two infants inside and when I came back out to move my car it was gone. It happened in Aurora, Co and I have to say the police response left a lot to be desired. I was able to track them to an apartment building a few blocks away using Google (it was an android phone). Called the police and waited for them arrive. They did approached the vehicle and it was empty. There were two apartments about 20 feet from my stolen car. After about 10 minutes of watching them do nothing I knocked and some doors and asked some questions. That night I got a horrible stomach bug of some sort and I was asleep for most of the day. Today when I woke up I went back to where my car ended up and asked some questions and offered a reward for my phone/keys and a larger award if the theif goes to jail.

tomorrow morning I am going to look into hiring a private investigator. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have never used a PI but figure since there is a client they are responsible too they might actually do some work. Thanks for reading my rant.

Sorry to hear that. I use PI's in my business and it all depends on the person you use. Many are lousy and only few are good. If you do use one, I would get a referral from an insurance defence law firm. They will know who is good for that kind of task. But I strongly recommend against it and suggest that you just move on. You'll spend a lot more than your phone is worth although I know you're probably wanting to do this more as a point of principle than for recovering what you lost. (Your phone has probably been sold for drugs by now). Even if you find the culprit(s), the police will likely say it's too long after the fact to get a conviction, unless they lifted prints from your car and get a match but that seems unlikely. And even if the police do recommend charges, the prosecutor's office may not agree.

It sucks but on the bright side you got your car back and you and your family are safe. I'd recommend you count your blessings and chalk this up as just part of life, and put it behind you.

If your house keys were with your car keys, I'd suggest getting your locks changed (even if you get your keys back - copies can be made).

And I'm sorry. Truly a disruption. I'm glad the important stuff was out of the car. That's what matters at the end of the day.