Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car pickup is in three hours!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah!!! Can't post more right now. Too busy having fun
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360286227.320815.jpg

Picked up my car yesterday. The experience was painless.

Showed up at the delivery center on time but had to wait for another party. In all, there were three parties picking up cars and one "tour only" party. I had read that tours were limited to parties of four and also read "12 and older". However, since I never received any instructions to this effect. I showed up with five guests, including my 10 year old. No problems.

Signed in and were offered pretzels, soda and bottled water. Then we got on an electric tram and took a 45 minute tour of the factory. We first saw the aluminum stamping equipment including HUGE dies (30-40 tons!) and rolls of aluminum in various thicknesses. These machines were idle as they can stamp out parts quicker than the rest of the assembly process. We did see some rear hatches being stamped out.

We then drove past the upholstery section and saw rows and rows of seats in various colors.

Then we moved onto the robotic assembly area. This was the treat of the tour as we got to stand on a catwalk overlooking the assembly line. The "skateboard" of lower frame and batteries would come under the catwalk where two men would inspect robotic welds and do some hand welding. There was a countdown clock of 8 minutes for each chassis. Then the frame would move downstream and robotic arms would put the sides of the car on. This was amazingly cool. The sides were put on and then crossbeams for the roof were attached and suddenly the skateboard began looking like a car! The robots would change arms to various clamp like devices and pinch the frame to put the car together. We then went to the indoor track where completed cars are driven over various surfaces for a literal "shake down" cruise. There was also a chamber where the water tightness of the car was tested.

We didn't get to see the plastics shop and this bummed me out since I was hoping to get the plastic Tesla shell for my 10 year old.

From there we proceeded to payment and paperwork, car inspection and then the drive home.

Picked up my car yesterday. The experience was painless.

Then we got on an electric tram and took a 45 minute tour of the factory. We first saw the aluminum stamping equipment including HUGE dies (30-40 tons!) and rolls of aluminum in various thicknesses.

Then we moved onto the robotic assembly area. This was the treat of the tour as we got to stand on a catwalk overlooking the assembly line.

Fascinating. You had quite a different tour than we did. We walked, no little cart. Didn't see anything actually being stamped and no catwalk.

Now, I'd actually like to go on another tour! :biggrin:

You might need a time machine for that :) ... afaik, those were only handed out at a Model S factory event before production had started.
Not true ..
When I got my car on Dec 1st the earlier groups had gotten a tour of the plastics and got little sig red cars. I still have a few from the factory event so I wasn't too bummed that we didn't get to see that part of the factory again + get another car ( the color was a little different than my red RC car S, darker some)

there was one that an earlier customer had left behind and the DS (from Canda) was hoping to snag it ;>

I can't wait to go back for a 'cart tour' Cool.