Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i pick up my phone to make a call, and I realize that i can't hear anything. I check my audio connection and it showed bluetooth active. I check which device it is and it say it's my Tesla. Well ok what they hell, because it's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 hours. I go out to the car, and it's on. Center screen is on, driver display is on, AC is on, music is playing, etc. The car was even unlocked.

I call Support. I get the stellar answer of "that's the preconditioning". Um no, i have that disabled, and even if it was on, it doesn't explain the music and screens being on, and the car unlocking itself. I'm told "we'll pull some logs and get back to you".

Hopefully I don't wake up with a car that's auto-initiated summon into my street :/

(PS - no, i didn't leave a key in the car)

That's weird, I just noticed my was on as well. Normally, I don't check the garage after I park it and walk away. Tonight I went to the garage and the fan was going and the screen was on, mirrors out etc. I turned it off with the key fob. Strange

I noticed that the fan was running a lot while charging for about 30 mins in my garage tonight, so went to check. The fan often runs intermittently while charging, but never constantly.

MS was unlocked, screens. A/c, and sound we're all on. Double checked no key either inside or nearby...

Concerning, to say the least...

We experienced the same thing on our 75D from time to time. It's a long story how I finally figured it out, but this basically happens whenever the car occupancy algorithm gets confused. Btw, when the car stays on like that, it is possible to put it in drive without a key - it will re-detect for key when you put it back in park. One thing that tends to confuse the occupancy algorithm is opening the front passenger door and putting something heavy, like a duffle bag, on the passenger seat, drive, then at the destination get out and take the bag from the seat through the driver's door. Unfortunately this does not guarantee a repro, but not doing that reduced the problem occurrence from 2+ times a week to once in the last 6 months (about a month ago). In our case it wasn't a duffle bag btw, it was my 11 year old gymnast daughter who preferred not to exit the car on the driveway, but while in the garage the car is parked very close to the wall, so she would just climb out over the console and through the driver's door.

I had a similar situation on Monday.

I had parked the car in a parking lot for the weekend.
On Monday morning, went to the car.
Opened up the trunk, placed a bag in there.
Walked over to the driver's door. Handlebar didn't pop out but I didn't think too much of it.
Pressed on the handlebar and opened the door...
and suddenly realized I don't have the keyfob with me...

So basically, the car sat unlocked in a crowded parking lot for a few days.
This was certainly concerning to me and I'll be manually pressing lock on the keyfob from now on.

I had a similar situation on Monday.

I had parked the car in a parking lot for the weekend.
On Monday morning, went to the car.
Opened up the trunk, placed a bag in there.
Walked over to the driver's door. Handlebar didn't pop out but I didn't think too much of it.
Pressed on the handlebar and opened the door...
and suddenly realized I don't have the keyfob with me...

So basically, the car sat unlocked in a crowded parking lot for a few days.
This was certainly concerning to me and I'll be manually pressing lock on the keyfob from now on.
I did similar, but realized I'd left the fob (and my wallet!) in the car all day.

I have a theory:

Tesla is preparing bluetooth unlocking for Model S and X, the way it is with the Model 3.
You may be on to something there. I usually don't have Bluetooth enabled on my phone but did do a long road trip yesterday and had Bluetooth turned on. Two hours after we got home, I went into the garage and found my car was still on. Opening and closing a couple doors put it to sleep. I think I had already turned off Bluetooth on my phone but don't remember.

I did receive a firmware update notification this morning and will install it shortly.

Last edited: