TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jddssc121, Aug 21, 2017.

1. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

So i pick up my phone to make a call, and I realize that i can't hear anything. I check my audio connection and it showed bluetooth active. I check which device it is and it say it's my Tesla. Well ok what they hell, because it's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 hours. I go out to the car, and it's on. Center screen is on, driver display is on, AC is on, music is playing, etc. The car was even unlocked.

I call Support. I get the stellar answer of "that's the preconditioning". Um no, i have that disabled, and even if it was on, it doesn't explain the music and screens being on, and the car unlocking itself. I'm told "we'll pull some logs and get back to you".

Hopefully I don't wake up with a car that's auto-initiated summon into my street :/

(PS - no, i didn't leave a key in the car)

2. mp0i

mp0i Member

That's weird, I just noticed my was on as well. Normally, I don't check the garage after I park it and walk away. Tonight I went to the garage and the fan was going and the screen was on, mirrors out etc. I turned it off with the key fob. Strange

3. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

Obviously the most concerning part is the car was unlocked. Sure, it was parked in a garage, but what if i was at the store, or movies, or whatever? If i can't even trust my car to stay locked, then I seriously question if I should keep it.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Mine did this today too.

5. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Yup, happened to me tonight as well. What is going on?
    Did Elon Musk accidentally press the universal on button? Hopefully there isnt a kill switch

6. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

"Christine" by Stephen King, anyone?

Nice (not really) knowing you, man :)

• Funny x 1
  7. conman

conman Member

I better go check my car...

8. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

Damn, I was in bed thinking there was some punk bumping his car stereo out front. Now I think it may have been my car in the garage lol.

• Funny x 2
  9. PoppyNF

PoppyNF New Member

I noticed that the fan was running a lot while charging for about 30 mins in my garage tonight, so went to check. The fan often runs intermittently while charging, but never constantly.

MS was unlocked, screens. A/c, and sound we're all on. Double checked no key either inside or nearby...

Concerning, to say the least...

10. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Seeing all these "me too" posts got me to go downstairs and check on my car. But it was off, and dark.

This sounds almost like an update got pushed. Are you still on the same firmware version?

11. whitex

whitex Active Member

We experienced the same thing on our 75D from time to time. It's a long story how I finally figured it out, but this basically happens whenever the car occupancy algorithm gets confused. Btw, when the car stays on like that, it is possible to put it in drive without a key - it will re-detect for key when you put it back in park. One thing that tends to confuse the occupancy algorithm is opening the front passenger door and putting something heavy, like a duffle bag, on the passenger seat, drive, then at the destination get out and take the bag from the seat through the driver's door. Unfortunately this does not guarantee a repro, but not doing that reduced the problem occurrence from 2+ times a week to once in the last 6 months (about a month ago). In our case it wasn't a duffle bag btw, it was my 11 year old gymnast daughter who preferred not to exit the car on the driveway, but while in the garage the car is parked very close to the wall, so she would just climb out over the console and through the driver's door.

• Informative x 2
  12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I have a theory:

Tesla is preparing bluetooth unlocking for Model S and X, the way it is with the Model 3.

13. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Mine didn't. But I also have a motion sensor in the garage. The only activity I notice is that every now and then the charging ring comes on.

14. ricebucket

ricebucket Member

I had a similar situation on Monday.

I had parked the car in a parking lot for the weekend.
    On Monday morning, went to the car.
    Opened up the trunk, placed a bag in there.
    Walked over to the driver's door. Handlebar didn't pop out but I didn't think too much of it.
    Pressed on the handlebar and opened the door...
    and suddenly realized I don't have the keyfob with me...

So basically, the car sat unlocked in a crowded parking lot for a few days.
    This was certainly concerning to me and I'll be manually pressing lock on the keyfob from now on.

15. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I did similar, but realized I'd left the fob (and my wallet!) in the car all day.

16. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

@JonMc - What the heck is going on?

17. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Could it have been rebooting after a software update?

18. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

I still have the same software version installed. And even if it did reboot that does not explain nor excuse the car staying unlocked.

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

#19 MorrisonHiker, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    You may be on to something there. I usually don't have Bluetooth enabled on my phone but did do a long road trip yesterday and had Bluetooth turned on. Two hours after we got home, I went into the garage and found my car was still on. Opening and closing a couple doors put it to sleep. I think I had already turned off Bluetooth on my phone but don't remember.

I did receive a firmware update notification this morning and will install it shortly.

20. rpm001

rpm001 Member

This is definitely not good. I'm hoping we get a real response from Tesla on this one. I will watch mine too... Is this something specific to a particular fw level or after a certain level?