Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now we need a Bluetooth cage for the car as well as a Faraday cage for the fobs? Brother... as I said in another thread, my 2009 BMW does this well, it knows when the fob is inside the car and when it isn't...

(And before someone says turn BT off on the phone, that means no Apple Watch, or Airpods, or... :D )

Same here around 11 pm last night with the phone Bluetooth connecting to the car. I didn't bother to go down to garage to check on car though, just turned Bluetooth off. Happened once before few days ago but at that time I found out that the driver's door was not shut all the way. This time I checked through the app and all doors were closed.

Do you know the location of both keys? Were either of them close enough to the car to wake it up? Any pets who could have gotten to one of them? Old batteries in the fob?
Yes
No
No
No

and considering how many other people have chimed in on this thread and said it also happened to them last night, I'd have a very hard time believing it was something specific to my car/keys/etc

and considering how many other people have chimed in on this thread and said it also happened to them last night, I'd have a very hard time believing it was something specific to my car/keys/etc
+1

Did you by chance have a software update available this morning? As I mentioned above, I experienced the same issue as you last night and then noticed a firmware update was available this morning. I don't know if it is related or not.

So now we need a Bluetooth cage for the car as well as a Faraday cage for the fobs? Brother... as I said in another thread, my 2009 BMW does this well, it knows when the fob is inside the car and when it isn't...

(And before someone says turn BT off on the phone, that means no Apple Watch, or Airpods, or... :D )

Ya there are exactly zero acceptable reasons for a car unlocking itself when the key is not close (further than 20 feet away). I don't care what software bug, or update, or whatever someone wants to call it is eventually found to be the root cause, it's indefensible. Sure, the AC, screens and music turning on is annoying, and possibly problematic if the car is parked somewhere that it's not plugged in, but the unlocking bit has me downright pissed off.

Have any of you guys with cars found "on" offered up your myTesla login credentials to any 3rd party App?

In your position, I'd be changing myTesla password anyways.

I have never used a 3rd party app for any reason. Also, even *if* someone had hijacked my credentials and unlocked the car, that doesn't explain why it fully turned on and subsequently stayed on (and another commenter said he could put the car IN DRIVE without the key). It should have re-locked after a few minutes.

That's weird, I just noticed my was on as well. Normally, I don't check the garage after I park it and walk away. Tonight I went to the garage and the fan was going and the screen was on, mirrors out etc. I turned it off with the key fob. Strange
Mine did the exact same thing last night. Went to the garage to make sure everything was locked up before going to bed and heard the fan on. Looked inside and the whole car was on but the key was in the house.

Mine did the exact same thing last night. Went to the garage to make sure everything was locked up before going to bed and heard the fan on. Looked inside and the whole car was on but the key was in the house.

I noticed this yesterday and thought it was a random occurrence but now I'm thinking maybe there is more to it. I went back into the garage after coming home, key well out of radius and the cars A/C was running. Looking inside the displays were on as well. All the doors were properly closed shut. But the handles stayed inside, pressing them however opened the car. Closed the drivers door again and everything shutdown and powered off...

Reactions: energy7
Adding my experience to this thread too. I had the same thing happen. I noticed the HVAC was on in the app, but I hadn't driven the car in several hours. When I went to my garage to check, both screens were on. Really weird. We need a response from Tesla asap.

I hope everyone that has experienced this has reported this to Tesla as the OP has?
If they only get one report, this may not be at the top of the priority list. If they have a lot of people with the same issue they will have a lot more people working on it.