Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car randomly turned itself on. WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me on saturday. The mirrors were folded out already, thought it was a weird glitch. I get in the car and press the brakes, and no start up chime. Must've been on the whole time, luckily just a few hours outside. I checked if anything was missing cause it was unlocked.

Weird events. Weird speculation:

Tesla has access and control over network for all cars they have made. Each car must have unique ID in the network. If somebody hacks into that network and tries to steal a car, but does not know the ID, he ends up waking up wrong car. Perhaps car tells its location after waking up...

I'm probably incorrect, but you should report all weird events to Tesla.

So i pick up my phone to make a call, and I realize that i can't hear anything. I check my audio connection and it showed bluetooth active. I check which device it is and it say it's my Tesla. Well ok what they hell, because it's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 hours. I go out to the car, and it's on. Center screen is on, driver display is on, AC is on, music is playing, etc. The car was even unlocked.

I call Support. I get the stellar answer of "that's the preconditioning". Um no, i have that disabled, and even if it was on, it doesn't explain the music and screens being on, and the car unlocking itself. I'm told "we'll pull some logs and get back to you".

Hopefully I don't wake up with a car that's auto-initiated summon into my street :/

(PS - no, i didn't leave a key in the car)
I think the car has become sentient.
Face it, we are no longer in control.

You all got me so paranoid I pulled up the app to see if my car was on in the parking lot. It wouldn't update and told me there was a server error. I never get that so now I am extra paranoid, but not sure if it is worth walking out the parking lot to check.

My S did that started itself in the garage also. They checked it from Ca. and it said yes it was running at that time but was OK . However we have a locked garage , what if it happens while I am at a store or a hotel in an open parking lot?

I used BlueTooth during a road trip and returned home around 8:15 pm. We found the car was still on 2 hours later but I believe I'd already turned BlueTooth off some time between 8:15 and 10:15 pm.
I haven't experienced the issue being described, and did a test without my fob but with my cellphone present. No doors opened, so the BT theory seems disproven.

A real puzzlement.