Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car thinks I'm Spanish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I do a Google search, using the car's browser, the results come back in Spanish. What's that all about !

As a recent CPO purchase I "don't know where the car's been" ... but it was first registered in the UK (in Feb 2016) and it's in the UK now !

More to the point, how can I get English results ?

When I do a Google search, using the car's browser, the results come back in Spanish. What's that all about !

As a recent CPO purchase I "don't know where the car's been" ... but it was first registered in the UK (in Feb 2016) and it's in the UK now !

It’s because the car has a Spanish SIM card with a roaming Tesla paid for data connection. Nothing unusual, many others, mine included have a Dutch SIM. I think if you go to the settings within the browser you can update the location to the U.K.

Yes this is normal, mine apparently has a Spanish SIM too. The browser can be updated to display in English/UK results but one other drawback is some of the Internet radio stations (BBC 5 Live, Scala) won't stream because you don't appear to be listening from the UK :(

OK.

So I managed to find the language option in the browser preferences.

Changing it wasn't easy though. The dialog box list of languages kept disappearing before I could find and press "English". At one point I stubbed an Arabic language by mistake and fell into a world of pain populated by nothing other than squiggles ! Fortunately the "back" button was discernible and I was (eventually) able to convince my browser that I preferred English.

Still, it's odd that Tesla couldn't arrange for this UK car to be English-oriented (and that several previous owners seem to have put up with this inconvenience).

Reactions: Fellsteruk
The CPO 70D I have just gone for was registered only a month later than yours (I guess yours is a 65 while mine's a 16?) I don't have the car yet but Tesla say it's an LTE/4G model - is yours 3G or LTE/4G out of curiosity?

The CPO 70D I have just gone for was registered only a month later than yours (I guess yours is a 65 while mine's a 16?) I don't have the car yet but Tesla say it's an LTE/4G model - is yours 3G or LTE/4G out of curiosity?

Yes, mine's a 65. I guess it was assembled in Nov/Dec 2015.

It displays "3G" at the top of the MCU.

When I'm at home, on the house WiFi, I get an "English browser". When I'm out and about, on 3G, I get Spanish Google results. I guess Americans think that "Europe is Europe" and don't think about regionalising the cars any more than that.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
Thanks for that - looks like I was very lucky to get 4G (though I won't believe it until I see it!

It's a shame you can't run apps on the Tesla; a VPN would do nicely!

I'm going to fit a front/rear dashcam that has wifi capability for smartphone app monitoring even when the car is unattended, but as the car can't offer a hotspot connection I might invest in a cheap sim card and a mobile personal hotspot.

Yes, mine's a 65. I guess it was assembled in Nov/Dec 2015.

It displays "3G" at the top of the MCU.

When I'm at home, on the house WiFi, I get an "English browser". When I'm out and about, on 3G, I get Spanish Google results. I guess Americans think that "Europe is Europe" and don't think about regionalising the cars any more than that.

What is the benefit of this ? How difficult is it to do and what sort of cost are we talking about ?

The benefit is 4G is much better than 3G, so all the connectivity functions the car uses work better/faster - the map being the obvious one. As far as cost I’m not sure, I think it was a few hundred pounds. You’d have to ask a SC, I don’t know if they even still do it.