TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My car tried to eat me today!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ryan Webb, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ryan Webb

Ryan Webb Member

I went out this morning to pick up a cake for my daughters birthday, when I got to the cake lady's house I needed to move a few things in the trunk. Opened the lift gate and started moving things around...I was leaning inside the car, and it started beeping at me. It didn't immediately click in my head what the beeping was for, until I realized the door was closing on me. I managed to get out of the way in time, but I couldn't stop the door from closing...tried to press the button on the lift gate, but it didn't do any good, and the door completed the close process. Now, I imagine that if it had manged to hit me as it was closing it would have stopped - but it still scared the crap out of me. I had to wait for the door to completely close and lock before it would allow me to open it back again. When I was done loading the car, got back in to leave and the car told me it wouldn't start because the FOB wasn't present (it was in my pocket). I clicked the top button on the fob a couple times and then it was recognized. I'm sure I was never in danger, but it didn't seem that way at the time! Maybe the S was just hungry :)

2. BertL

BertL Active Member

#2 BertL, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    I had my Frunk and Trunk seemingly open itself multiple times after I first took delivery. I thought I had a problem with my best toy, but figured out it sometimes happened only as I got in and out of my MS. I ultimately tracked it down to a too-tight leather Abstract-Ocean FOB Case that when it was in my front pants pocket and I'd lean a certain way, just enough pressure was being applied to Different FOB buttons. I replaced the fancy FOB case with a silicon version, and ensure nothing else like change ever makes its way into my same front pocket with the FOB, and have never had a problem since.

Could something in your tight pants pocket have pressed the FOB trunk button? ;)

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Ha ha! Wearing those tight pants again, are we? Jimmy Fallon would be proud.

And yes, it stops with very little resistance.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

To the OP: when you were moving things around in the trunk, and presumably leaning into the trunk, and you realized the trunk lid was starting to close, did you try reaching up and stopping it with your hand? In my experience it stops with very little pressure. I've tried doing that just out of curiosity. It's easy to stop.
    As to why your trunk lid spontaneously started closing on you, @BertL' s scenario is a possible explanation.

5. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

it takes very little manual pressure to override the trunk in either direction

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

also, up and and down the sides of the hatch lid are thin rubber tube-like strips

these are anti-pinch strips... if you had a finger in there and hatch closes on it, you will trigger the anti-pinch and it stops and relaxes the hatch closing

7. green1

green1 Active Member

Had a similar experience yesterday. I was on a long road trip on slush covered roads. At the end of the trip there was over an inch of snow/ice buildup on the back of the car. When I opened the trunk it went up 3/4 of the way, beeped, and closed again (most likely due to the extra weight on the trunk) what surprised me was how strongly it was trying to close, it was not easy to push against it, it was quite determined to close.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about this? I'm less convinced, I know the sunroof is done that way, but I've seen nothing to suggest that is the case with the hatch, seems to entirely be based on resistance to closing.

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

FWIW the leather fob wallets break in with a little use. My fob slid in and out with little effort after a weeks use, as opposed to being almost stuck in there when I first got it.

9. BertL

BertL Active Member

Yes, I gave mine a try for more than a month, and tried physically stretching it to no avail. IMHO, it would be perfect if it has softer and less-think leather.

10. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I once had a latex balloon filled with helium fly into the hinge right as I closed the hatch. The car sensed the obstruction and reversed the action before popping the balloon! So never fear, you shouldn't come to any injury if you do get caught.

11. Ryan Webb

Ryan Webb Member

haha! Yeah, this is most likely what happened. I don't think the pants were too tight (I could upload pics if everyone wants to see! :) ) Could have been the key fob cover, other keys in my pockets....who knows.

No, I didn't think that coherently...I just panicked and got out from under the door. The only thing I tried was pressing the button on the trunk lid. I'm sure I would have been just fine if it had happened to hit my back.

Strange that the car didn't recognize I had the fob with me though when I got back in a few minutes later.

12. Caligula

Caligula Member

Out of curiosity which color/style did you get?

13. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Very observant, when you frolic in the trunk the camera is right on your xxx.

14. BertL

BertL Active Member

Had a black Abstract Ocean silicon sleeve, but it collected too must lint from my jeans pockets (guess that says something about my lack-of laundering technique). Anyway, have a white one to match my pearl white MS for the last couple of months and it's doing just fine. It's with me for the duration, I suspect.

15. Caligula

Caligula Member

Oh, sorry. I meant of the leather variety.

16. XxCyberHackerxX

If your Model S eats you does that mean I get the car? Lol all jokes aside that is a odd issue