Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was "keyed" :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivin,

I have seen it, but it still saddens me.
I'm definitely not a Titan of industry, just a hard working guy.

My car was parked far from the entrance of my work, and I am pretty lame so it has a front plate and nothing else aftermarket. There were other nice cars in the lot, some more expensive than mine. I think the "tesla" brand is a part of it, which is really unfortunate. To me it represents technology and the future of transport, not luxury. But clearly, others don't view it that way.

Not clear it is the brand as much of how some people perceive the owners.
The same thing happened in the early days of the Prius - or as some people called them, the "Pious" - with the water cooler preaching of saving the environment, etc.

Oh, so pious, Prius drivers / Smugness drifts over the warming Earth -- is that a bad thing?

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Not clear it is the brand as much of how some people perceive the owners.
The same thing happened in the early days of the Prius - or as some people called them, the "Pious" - with the water cooler preaching of saving the environment, etc.

I have experienced this resentment first hand. When I first bought my Leaf an acquaintance in my neighborhood went out of his way to call me a deluded tree-hugger. Went on to explain what a fool I was because climate change was a hoax.

i tried to explain that even if you didn't buy into climate change that the performance of an EV was far superior to an ICE but I think some folks just feel threatened by change.

I am already getting backhanded comments just by checking into Facebook to a Tesla center within a mall.

Everyone assumes I am rich, misinformed, and an elitist.

With just that action of checking in for my excitement of finally driving one of these cars, I quickly made the decision I will not be telling anyone unless asked as I really do not want to deal with it.

I have experienced this resentment first hand. When I first bought my Leaf an acquaintance in my neighborhood went out of his way to call me a deluded tree-hugger. Went on to explain what a fool I was because climate change was a hoax.

i tried to explain that even if you didn't buy into climate change that the performance of an EV was far superior to an ICE but I think some folks just feel threatened by change.

I think people react more to how the actual "deluded tree-huggers" co-opted a good initiative (reusable energy) through a more negative approach of shaming and denigrating people who aren't as dedicated as they are. You see a lot of that on this forum too - iceholes, etc.

When I got solar panels 10 years ago, the reaction from people was positive/neutral - nothing negative - things just seem very different now.

• Informative
I lost an old college friend over the Prius hate. I bought one about three years ago, and posted a little note to Facebook about how cool it was to be getting 50MPH and the wonders of modern technology. He replied with a rant full of bogus claims, like that I'd have to spend $10,000 every five years replacing the battery. When I replied with a completely calm explanation of what he got wrong, he called me "smug" and that was the end of that. Sad.

I wonder what he'd say about my owning a Tesla now. Probably more of the same. Would be fun to just challenge him to a drag race as a response....

I have a dual channel blackVue and I doubt it would help here also. Maybe the person drove by and maybe it caught a plate, but more likely it was just some looser walking by who keyed you out of jealousy. The camera would have caught them walking by but wouldn't have caught the event itself due to the side angle. Even if you had video of the person it would be impossible to track them down and get justice.

On the bright side, whoever did this is a moron and life will eventually get back to them, and it probably already has. This poor soul is probably broke, has no life, and is probably only a warrant or two away from jail time. Do bad things enough and eventually you reap the consequences of stupidity. This dudes best day probably still isn't as good as your worst. Pity him.

Some dashcams use only the accelerometers to determine motion to record while parked, but others also do motion detection within the visual field. The BlackVue will do this, and if the perpetrator had been in front of or behind the car, it would have recorded.

Definitely go get the dashcam ... best investment you can make.
Yes, for example the Blackvue 650-2CH (2 cameras, front/rear) uses X,Y,Z accelerometers In addition to visual motion detection to trigger recordings in parking mode. You can adjust the sensitivity threshold for all 4 inputs

• Informative
I have a dual channel blackVue and I doubt it would help here also. Maybe the person drove by and maybe it caught a plate, but more likely it was just some looser walking by who keyed you out of jealousy. The camera would have caught them walking by but wouldn't have caught the event itself due to the side angle. Even if you had video of the person it would be impossible to track them down and get justice.

Unless he was wearing a ski mask, the video could lead to a positive ID if shown to law enforcement. They might know the guy.

I am having security pull the video footage today. Apparently, there is a surveillance camera where my car was parked.

I work in Healthcare, so we have people coming and going all the time who don't work here. It was likely someone visiting. I don't think I have anyone at work that dislikes me that much, plus almost no one knows that the Tesla is my car :)

Thanks again for the comments and kind wishes. I truly appreciate the sentiments expressed here.

I am having security pull the video footage today. Apparently, there is a surveillance camera where my car was parked.

I work in Healthcare, so we have people coming and going all the time who don't work here. It was likely someone visiting. I don't think I have anyone at work that dislikes me that much, plus almost no one knows that the Tesla is my car :)

Thanks again for the comments and kind wishes. I truly appreciate the sentiments expressed here.

I work in healthcare as well, just ordered last night, and already having hives about parking in the garage within my system. :)

I hope you get some resolution!

Sometimes you just can't understand some people's motives. Could be jealousy, could be that they were dropped once to many times as a kid, could be totally random.