Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was "keyed" :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this thread title pop up again and thought oh no. Vern so sorry to see your damage, looks extensive and deep. As someone who had our car's rear window broken into by a vandal looking for anything of value in our hatch area (had our parcel shelf installed), I completely understand the anger. We had nothing back there to take so he walked away with nothing. Somehow that hurt even more as it was pointless.

FWIW we had our Blackvue 650S-2 ch running in parking mode and caught it on video. Unlike Ruddy (Nice going! One for our side! Sadly too few of those) the cops didn't care about the video since the sun was shining directly into our rear camera and aside from watching the guy come to the car and smash the window, walk past the liftgate empty handed and on to his next target--saw him in profile--there was no readible license plate of the car he came in or way to ID him. Parked right behind us too, our luck, bad time of day. Expensive repair. Anyway still a proponent for dashcams but people shouldn't always think they will "get the guy" in these situations. More times probably not from the stories I've read on here. A better use for recording car accidents really.

As for your damage Vern, check out a really good detailer in your area. If you were up here I would refer you to our guys that did our car wrap. Sent a guy to him when his kid used a stone to draw on the side of his car and they did a fabulous job. Wouldn't even know, just like Reddy's experience. Speaking of wraps, we spent the extra bucks and did a full body wrap on our car and can't say if it would have helped in your particular case but it does help protect from car door dings, shopping carts, etc. Not sure about your car insurance but don't believe vandalism will count against you when you file a claim for the repair. A good detailer who's worked on a lot of Teslas might even be less expensive than a Tesla partnered body shop. I personally couldn't live with our baby scratched up but that's me. Better to see it "disappear" and the experience and feelings dissipate.

And FWIW the most expensive car we've owned between the two of us was our fully loaded 2001 Avalon, think we paid $34-36 maybe. We also keep our cars for a long time so decided the Expel ultimate was a good investment long term. Do think it protected our paint from the broken glass during the breakin. When we were waiting for our car delivery I routinely looked at the TMC production/delivery spreadsheet and was surprised at how many orders were from people like us going from a car like a Honda or Toyota at trade in for their new Tesla. Probably a good indication at least among members what they were driving before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brando
I admit, when you own one car for decades, your concern for the finish diminishes. I did wash often and waxed 2 or 3 times a year as proud owner of a one year old used Saab. Now washing 2 maybe 3 times per year and wax once a year. You can see from the photo of my Saab the dents in the roof from a tree and the front driver side fender crushed by parking garage pillar. One person in the last 7 years did comment on my front fender, but who but me cares about the panels on 1989 car?

So if I did buy a Tesla, I'd be trying for the million miles.

PS- Reminds me I really like the "no jerks allowed policy". How can I implement it in my world??

Last edited:
There has been a political climate over the last 10 years or so that has bred envy and resentment towards anybody perceived as "wealthy". A Tesla fits that bill. You're perceived as "rich", which makes others not as fortunate think that you've stolen, manipulated, conned, and/or lied from the less fortunate to be able to achieve Tesla ownership, and they feel justified in destroying your property. It's the world we live in, unfortunately.

I hope the day comes back where owning a Tesla sparks inspiration, not envy.
When the income gap closes back to earlier days, it will be so. Until then, not so much. IMHO.

Similar stuff happened to me, but it was a mark of someone rubbing their cigarette on my Model S' paint. Fortunately it is not very noticeable unless I take a closer look. I think a group of young guys around my office did it while I am not present. I definitely draw a lot of jealousy from people because I am a young Tesla owner and furthermore people always think I am 10 years younger than I actually am. Heck, some people think I am a rich high school kid who got birthday present from parents. They don't know how hard I work everyday and I bought these without any assistance. 100% my toil and investment.

Although I am dissed, I decided to forget it but I became vigilant where to park. So far so good.

Very sorry to hear of this kind of trouble with your cars. Just wondering, did your car that was damaged have vanity plates on either front or rear? I seem to see quite a few Teslas with them. When I get my M3 I'm putting state standard plates on it, as in "nothing to see here".

Just wondering, did your car that was damaged have vanity plates on either front or rear? I seem to see quite a few Teslas with them. When I get my M3 I'm putting state standard plates on it, as in "nothing to see here".

As you can tell from my photo, I do have personalized plates.

I've had the same plate since 1981, and it was initially on a Ford Fairmont.

FWIW, the person who keyed my car was known to me, and the personalized plate had nothing to do with it.

I was at a Supercharger the other day and some guy (looked pissed off) parks his crappy car in a charging spot. He even parked like a moron. There were more than plenty of spots of open. When he comes back out of the grocery store, he gets in his car, I look at him, and he gives me the finger. It's these types of people I can see keying cars. This guy looked like Drew Peterson in fact - go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_141801.jpg
    IMG_20171231_141801.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 66