Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I can add some speculation.

Tesla is testing ways to discourage locals from "abusing" Superchargers...My last 3 visits to SpC in Los Angeles I have witnessed cars being dropped off to charge & the owner leaving in another car

If someone is dropping off their car for any length of time, lowering the rate to 60 kW doesn't impact them, indeed they may never notice. I saw this once, at Truckee, and with 6/8 stalls open the person chose one that was paired with one already in use.

- - - Updated - - -

What?! 120 kW at 40% SOC? That's unheard of. The taper point for 120 kW is usually somewhere right around 20% IIRC. Are you sure about that?

Some people report tapering starts later for E packs.

What?! 120 kW at 40% SOC? That's unheard of. The taper point for 120 kW is usually somewhere right around 20% IIRC. Are you sure about that?

Well, all I can say for sure is that when the charge session starts and the power ramps up, I wait until it peaks before I walk away. Maybe it settles back in short order to something lower; that's plausible because by the time I check the app a few minutes in, it's usually down under 100kW.

Today's charging at Normal, IL. Infrequent supercharger, 160 mi from me. 116 kW. D pack.

9ebd397c09ba74674ff03a2417bf6b63.jpg

Well, all I can say for sure is that when the charge session starts and the power ramps up, I wait until it peaks before I walk away. Maybe it settles back in short order to something lower; that's plausible because by the time I check the app a few minutes in, it's usually down under 100kW.
40 pct SOC will be about 95 kW based on my past measurements, B+ 85 pack.

Tonl, thanks for your data!

I don't think I'm abusing! I use 2 superchargers on my weekly trip from DC to NJ. On my way to NJ, I charge for ~20 min in DE supercharger and then at Edison, NJ supercharger for some local driving for abt 20-30 min. On my way back, I charge up to 150 miles rated in Edison and then in Delaware upto 80%

Do 240V breakers take up more room in a panel than 120V?

"Yes"
Actually it's amperage that matters (because of physical attributes of the wire, mostly diameter), but to build a 240V circuit you need to pair 2 120V circuit hots (in opposite phases), and the way to do that is to pick 2 adjacent slots in the breaker box (because of the way they are designed: each slot and the next are in opposite phases). The breakers are physically tied to each other by some kind of "bridge" so you can only operate them in unison (and that's what you call a "240V breaker")

-- Greg

If someone is dropping off their car for any length of time, lowering the rate to 60 kW doesn't impact them, indeed they may never notice. I saw this once, at Truckee, and with 6/8 stalls open the person chose one that was paired with one already in use.

It would impact everyone at the busy superchargers, though. It would be absolutely insane to implement this policy at San Juan Capistrano, for instance. It's already often difficult to get a stall, there.

Here is a pic to show what i am getting. I had not been driving fast or hard and it was only 78 outView attachment 74771

- - - Updated - - -

And, seriously Tesla, IF this is true, why would they not have an announcement BEFORE implementing it? Why allow your customer and your service centers waste their time trying to figure out what is going on?

Same here for me at Montréal SuperCharger... rate of charge is 58-59 kw...

Was getting the full power at the opening at the end of january but not anymore...

Based on the data I've compiled for 32 supercharging events since November, I definitely get slower charging locally. As shown below, my charging spirals into two distinct funnels: the higher one is almost exclusively non local "road trip" charging (Harris/Atascadero and south), and the lower is almost all Gilroy and Fremont. The only OOF data points are one Fremont event in the upper funnel (which was back in November) and one Buellton event in the lower funnel (from this past weekend). For the record I live within ~35 miles of both Fremont and Gilroy.

Whether or not this is intentional clipping or just coincidence, I do not know, but after a road trip down south this past weekend I came to that conclusion [as a possible explanation] independent of this thread.

Also, charge rates probably look low to most of you because I have a 60.

Charging.jpg

PunchIT, I need to do the same trip next weekend. How are the speeds of the DE and Edison chargers? Are the new chargers on the Turnpike open yet?

Patrick

I'm limited to 60kW at both locations! I'll try the Hamilton Marketplace supercharger tomorrow.

The turnpike supercharger in East Brunswick started construction earlier this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone who is experiencing the 60kW limit "near home" try to change their home location in the navigation system and try again?

My home location in the nav system is ~200 miles from the Edison NJ and ~100 miles from Delaware superchargers! I use these two exclusively. So frequency could be a factor!

I decided to drive over to the Denver SpC, which is my 'local' at 30/20 road miles/as the crow flies. Arrived with 42% SOC, plugged in and ramped up immediately to 116kw; three minutes in, at 45% SOC, the charge rate had fallen to 98kW.

I've only charged here one other time, and that was with my S85, so frequency does not come into play.