Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the advice. I'll pass that along to the kids.
Good lesson in international business.
Any idea how the tariffs are going to affect this project?
CJ
No clue. I've only learned what I know with regards to Chinese manufacturing vicariously through others (kickstarter'd projects, various maker youtube channels, projects I've seen mentioned on hackaday.com ... ). Though I'd assume the tariffs are on products not services, and usually when it comes to getting parts made via molds, the expensive part is getting the mold made (which hopefully won't be covered by tariff), not the per unit part cost (probably covered by tariff, if one applies), so I imagine it won't hurt too bad.

From what I've heard/read/seen, getting the molds made can often cost 100's - 1000's of dollars, but then the actual parts may be pennies or at most dollars each after the mold is made. So the setup cost is high compared to the cost of the parts produced, but if you're making enough of them then it easily pays for itself. The mold for your parts may not be too expensive, they should be fairly straightforward to make, so hopefully it's on the low end of the cost spectrum.

Reactions: chojn1
Hi @jellis03 ,

The kids are still cranking them out as fast as they could. They did make a bunch this past thanksgiving break.
Unfortunately, their production capacity is still too low relative to the demand.
The list is growing longer rather than shorter.

In the last "company meeting" (a.k.a. thanksgiving dinner) it was decided that they would explore alternate production source at least for some of the items. Talks with local manufacturers early on was not very fruitful. Cost was just too high here for what we are selling.

So, the kids have contacted a Chinese injection molding company and should hear back shortly about costs of the items. If reasonable, they will take a chance and reinvest some of the earnings for the tooling cost. Hopefully they can fill everyone's order by the end of the year.

I am not quite sure how I feel about the direction this is leading.
But, they have made good decisions thus far, so I will hold my misgivings and let them run the company as they see fit.

CJ

Awesome, thank you for the update! Hopefully everything will work out for them in the end. :) Thanks to you and your kids again for doing this for us!

Merry Christmas everybody!

Just an update on the kiddos' project.
They have just surpassed their goal of $10k raised for their charity.
Needless to say, we are pretty happy and proud of their work.
Thank you for all the support.

Going forward, they have finalized contract with an injection molding Chinese firm to manufacture the tray.
That will offload some of the work so they can concentrate on catching up on the backlog of the other items.

Also, we have just commissioned our fourth printer.
This will give me a free printer to get back to my prototypes of the other projects.

Thanks again for all the supports on this project.
Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season.

CJ

Merry Christmas everybody!

Just an update on the kiddos' project.
They have just surpassed their goal of $10k raised for their charity.
Needless to say, we are pretty happy and proud of their work.
Thank you for all the support.

Going forward, they have finalized contract with an injection molding Chinese firm to manufacture the tray.
That will offload some of the work so they can concentrate on catching up on the backlog of the other items.

Also, we have just commissioned our fourth printer.
This will give me a free printer to get back to my prototypes of the other projects.

Thanks again for all the supports on this project.
Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season.

CJ

@chojn1,

Great to hear and Congrats to the kids on their first 10K for their charity! I’m proud to have been one of the early adopters of one of everything they made! Loving it all and so glad I could contribute!
Best of luck to you and them in the New Year and 2019!
Happy New Year!

Ski

• Love
@chojn1 Super news on the kids' fundraising status and happy to have added to the total. Looks like their business is taking off and sure they are learning alot about entrepreneurship. Congrats to them reaching that goal. I love my items and use them every day and often think of them. The cup rings especially! So nice to have the cups securely in them and not moving around at all. And because of our Starbuck orders (usually short and tall) we use both sizes all the time. I have referred people to your thread when they are looking for console items although I know there's a waiting list but I'm sure with the additional equipment and the new manufacturer for the tray they will be able to fulfill orders quicker. Best wishes for the holidays and 2019! Regards to the kids.

BTW any updates on the console LEDs?

• Love
It appears that a lot of hassle, effort and confusion could be eliminated (for you, the boys, and those of us who wish to be customers) if there were at least a list for those of us who should be *on* the list. Emailing into a void is troubling. And when I see personal online responses to individuals who ask "am I on the list?" I can't help but wonder if I'm on the list as well. So then I, like so many others, am tempted to make yet another post on this enormous thread to ask the same question.

If I'm not mistaken, there are now three different ways to get on the list for these great products:
Post here
PM you
Send an email to Colby

And I can barely imagine the confusion and redundancy that this must cause as names/emails/screen names are all cross referenced to filter out duplicates and to determine time stamps. (I lied... I CAN imagine it because I used to sell hand-made items this same way, and it about did me in).

The web page is *awesome.* I can't help but think that a proper list added to that site would save a tremendous amount of time and frustration.

And after all that... am I on the list? :)

Cheers,

It appears that a lot of hassle, effort and confusion could be eliminated (for you, the boys, and those of us who wish to be customers) if there were at least a list for those of us who should be *on* the list. Emailing into a void is troubling. And when I see personal online responses to individuals who ask "am I on the list?" I can't help but wonder if I'm on the list as well. So then I, like so many others, am tempted to make yet another post on this enormous thread to ask the same question.

If I'm not mistaken, there are now three different ways to get on the list for these great products:
Post here
PM you
Send an email to Colby

And I can barely imagine the confusion and redundancy that this must cause as names/emails/screen names are all cross referenced to filter out duplicates and to determine time stamps. (I lied... I CAN imagine it because I used to sell hand-made items this same way, and it about did me in).

The web page is *awesome.* I can't help but think that a proper list added to that site would save a tremendous amount of time and frustration.

And after all that... am I on the list? :)

Cheers,

Hi @EVnut,

You are probably right about posting the list, but we do have a little privacy issue we have to deal with.
While most people posted their request on the forums, a number did private message or emailed us directly.
Some of those may not want their email or user name posted.
Since we do not have permission to post anyone's username or email we decided to keep all private.

The kids are finishing up with September requests.
Sorry about the wait. They do have a plan in place to clear the log jam.
Thanks for your understanding.

CJ

Hi @EVnut,

You are probably right about posting the list, but we do have a little privacy issue we have to deal with.
While most people posted their request on the forums, a number did private message or emailed us directly.
Since we do not have permission to post anyone's username or email we decided to keep all private.

CJ
Thanks, CJ. I do understand, of course. To protect privacy and reduce concern, confusion and redundancy, it may be best to have somebody zip off a single confirmation of order receipt. I've sent my email to Colby, and I still don't know if it was received.

Cheers. Really looking forward to these great upgrades.

Reactions: preilly44
Hi @EVnut,

CJ

how would you like a new customer to order to get on the list?