Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@chojn1
Just stumbled on this thread--awesome ideas and execution. I sent an email via the website contact email, but in case I need to add here too...please add me to the list for the full sized sunglass insert, two cup holder inserts, and a bin. Looks like some great progress getting made towards the goal!

Reactions: chojn1
Hi @chojn1

Any updates on this? It has been over 4 months and I haven't heard anything. Are your kids still producing these?

Thank you! :)

Hi @jellis03 ,

The kids are still cranking them out as fast as they could. They did make a bunch this past thanksgiving break.
Unfortunately, their production capacity is still too low relative to the demand.
The list is growing longer rather than shorter.

In the last "company meeting" (a.k.a. thanksgiving dinner) it was decided that they would explore alternate production source at least for some of the items. Talks with local manufacturers early on was not very fruitful. Cost was just too high here for what we are selling.

So, the kids have contacted a Chinese injection molding company and should hear back shortly about costs of the items. If reasonable, they will take a chance and reinvest some of the earnings for the tooling cost. Hopefully they can fill everyone's order by the end of the year.

I am not quite sure how I feel about the direction this is leading.
But, they have made good decisions thus far, so I will hold my misgivings and let them run the company as they see fit.

CJ

I would be surprised if they can get injection molded parts back by the end of the year, with only a few weeks left, even if the first batch is perfect. But a batch or two should do to catch up with the waiting list, I'm sure.

Be careful when trying to negotiate prices down when working with Chinese manufacturers - they tend to cut costs (and thus quality) instead of profits, leading to worse parts. Not that I blame them for not wanting to reduce their margins. It's a part of the perception that Chinese manufacturing is inferior (when clearly it's not, most of our highest end stuff is built there too - like phones), because in the west we haggle prices down and cut into the supplier's margin, in China they seem to be more capitalistic and only give you what you pay for, so when the west haggles with the east, they get what they consider inferior parts (vs what they paid for - when in fact they got what their paid for, usually). There might be some wiggle room, but if you get too aggressive, don't be surprised if the parts don't quite fit right ...

Hi @jellis03 ,

The kids are still cranking them out as fast as they could. They did make a bunch this past thanksgiving break.
Unfortunately, their production capacity is still too low relative to the demand.
The list is growing longer rather than shorter.

In the last "company meeting" (a.k.a. thanksgiving dinner) it was decided that they would explore alternate production source at least for some of the items. Talks with local manufacturers early on was not very fruitful. Cost was just too high here for what we are selling.

So, the kids have contacted a Chinese injection molding company and should hear back shortly about costs of the items. If reasonable, they will take a chance and reinvest some of the earnings for the tooling cost. Hopefully they can fill everyone's order by the end of the year.

I am not quite sure how I feel about the direction this is leading.
But, they have made good decisions thus far, so I will hold my misgivings and let them run the company as they see fit.

CJ

Does it make sense for them to invest in additional equipment to increase production? Good lessons they are learning on manufacturing!

I would be surprised if they can get injection molded parts back by the end of the year, with only a few weeks left, even if the first batch is perfect. But a batch or two should do to catch up with the waiting list, I'm sure.

Be careful when trying to negotiate prices down when working with Chinese manufacturers - they tend to cut costs (and thus quality) instead of profits, leading to worse parts. Not that I blame them for not wanting to reduce their margins. It's a part of the perception that Chinese manufacturing is inferior (when clearly it's not, most of our highest end stuff is built there too - like phones), because in the west we haggle prices down and cut into the supplier's margin, in China they seem to be more capitalistic and only give you what you pay for, so when the west haggles with the east, they get what they consider inferior parts (vs what they paid for - when in fact they got what their paid for, usually). There might be some wiggle room, but if you get too aggressive, don't be surprised if the parts don't quite fit right ...

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass that along to the kids.
Good lesson in international business.
Any idea how the tariffs are going to affect this project?
CJ