Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My charge port won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simplest solution for opening your charge port: ball your fist and pound lightly with the soft part of your hand on the pivot of the charge port door. It might take a couple of tries but it will pop open.

This is a handy trick if ice gets into the cracks (this is rare but it does happen).

Simplest solution for opening your charge port: ball your fist and pound lightly with the soft part of your hand on the pivot of the charge port door. It might take a couple of tries but it will pop open.

This is a handy trick if ice gets into the cracks (this is rare but it does happen).

Doug, My charge port would not open today with the connector or by tapping Open Charge Port on the screen. Did not want to pry it open and break something. I used your suggestion and it worked. This was not due to cold weather. It is 50 degrees here.

Thank You.

I had a similar problem after having my charge port door replaced (I walked into it breaking the reflector - oops). Tesla came back and fixed it by putting some "shims" in the assemble (washers I believe). It has worked perfectly since the fix. The Ranger was aware that differences in manufacturing tolerances could cause this issue...

Had my first experience with the chargeport door not opening. I opened the door earlier (via control panel) to show people and when I returned home to charge the door did not open. I tried the charger button and control panel and I was getting the 5 or 6 clicking sounds each time. Nothing happened UNTIL I pressed on the hinge part of the door with my thumb and then used the charger button and it popped open. Not sure what the problem is but Tesla needs to find a solution.

Had my first experience with the chargeport door not opening. I opened the door earlier (via control panel) to show people and when I returned home to charge the door did not open. I tried the charger button and control panel and I was getting the 5 or 6 clicking sounds each time. Nothing happened UNTIL I pressed on the hinge part of the door with my thumb and then used the charger button and it popped open. Not sure what the problem is but Tesla needs to find a solution.

This is strange indeed, I've been getting the EXACT same problem the last 2 days. Gently hitting the door with the soft part of the fist near the hinge worked and it popped right open. I called Tesla today and was told to just clean the contacts on the charge port door. I don't think this is the problem but I'll humor them and see what comes of this. I'm thinking this is related somehow to the 4.3 update, didn't have any issues before that were similar.

I've had this issue since the day I got my car. I'm pretty sure it is not temperature related, but it is annoying. I usually just keep trying and it works. Sometimes I press on it like Doug suggested, and sometimes I pry it. Given that it looks like it is nothing but an electrified magnet holding it shut, I assume it must just be overactive or sticky on new cars. It has really wrecked my 'just watch me do this' mojo a few times when trying to show new people how cool the car is...'damn thing won't open'! :)

Good, i'm not alone

First episode of charge port stuck yesterday. I charged with a J1772 charger in the afternoon. came back home. Wanted to try charging from a 110V source. Charge port wouldn't want to open. I heard 5-6 clicks all the times but no luck. I took the car for a ride, parked in my garage, used the UMC on 240V and then it popped open....

Hope that won't happen when my wife charges it or too often

I had an odd thing happen yesterday: I opened the charge port from the touchscreen, but didn't get out of the car right away. A minute or so after I had opened the port, I heard a clunk from the back of the car. When I got out, the ring around the port was dark, and the cable could not be inserted. I closed the flap, got back in the car and opened it again, and all was well. At first I thought maybe the car had locked (locking the port in the process), but then I realized I was still sitting in the car (not moving), so the car should not have locked.

I had an odd thing happen yesterday: I opened the charge port from the touchscreen, but didn't get out of the car right away. A minute or so after I had opened the port, I heard a clunk from the back of the car. When I got out, the ring around the port was dark, and the cable could not be inserted. I closed the flap, got back in the car and opened it again, and all was well. At first I thought maybe the car had locked (locking the port in the process), but then I realized I was still sitting in the car (not moving), so the car should not have locked.

That's normal. After a minute or so the port will lock up so you can't plug anything into it - I believe this is done so that you might drive if you accidentally leave your "fuel door" open.

For about the last month I have had the problem with the charge port door not opening. It makes a click when I use the charging cable button but doesn't open. I have begun using the control screen on the 17" touchscreen. Often times that will click several times in a row, "click, click, click, click, click" and then will open sometimes and others I will have to hit it again a few times before it pops open. I called service on Monday and I haven't heard back from Tesla yet.

Yesterday I used my J1772 adapter to connect and charge my car while I was shopping. When I returned to the car, removed the power, and immediately tried to remove the adapter, it would not release. I reconnected the power and then removed it a second time and still could not remove the adapter. I went to the control screen and hit the "Charge Port" button, but still could not remove the adapter. Finally, I drove home with the charge port door open and the adapter stuck in the port, and used my 14-50 adapter button to release the J1772.

I understand that there is a time limit for removing the J1772 after power is removed, after which the adapter is locked. I also believe that hitting the charge port icon (button) on the control screen should release the adapter, but this did not happen in this case. I have Software version 4.4 and have not experienced any other problems in the two months I since it took delivery. Love the Model S. Any comments or suggestions?

I've actually been having this problem with the new software update too. The charge port would not automatically pop open. I've taken it to the service center they fixed it. Then I get home and I'm having the weirdest experience. When I take a drive and then try to open the charge port via app, touchscreen or cord and the charge port opens sometimes yes sometimes no. Trying to call the service center in Rockville for another appointment.

My charge port would only open every 10th time... I was going mad... but then I sticked on a thin felt protective pad on the ports metal plate... now it opens like a charm first time / every time... guess the magnet is too strong.

IMG_4432.JPG