TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My charge rate (MPH) at 40A and 238V

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Maximapolak, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

I installed my HPWC finally and at first I was getting around 26mph but after 30 minutes I checked on the car and saw 30mph.

Is this right?

Attached Files:

2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Yup, that's what I'd expect.

3. EVChAmp

EVChAmp Member

If you had an older Model S with the 80 amp onboard charger, the HPWC would give you double that at 59/60 mph. Too bad the current High Amperage Charger Upgrade only provides a 72 amp onboard charger, thus limiting home charging to a max of 52 mph.

4. immolated

immolated Member

Why buy a HPWC without the dual charger option?

5. EVChAmp

EVChAmp Member

There are other possible reasons, but as a "built-in", the HPWC looks much nicer than probably any J1772 options out there.

6. Yinn

Yinn Member

We see 29-30mph on our NEMA 14-50. It tops out at 40amp.
    We see 34-36mph on our HPWC. Which allows us to go to 48amp.

When I'm at a low SOC or if it's really cold, I notice it takes some time to ramp up the charge rate. I got home one day with 4mi range left, it wouldn't charge at more than single digit mph for the first 15min. Numbers above are for a car in a garage, reading an interior temp of ~40-45 degrees.

The first time I used my HPWC, it defaulted to 40amp. I had to change it on the in car screen to turn it up to 48amp.

Tesla's calculator here: Home Charging Calculator

The HPWC also allows us to load balance two Teslas..if I ever get another as well as being a cleaner installation with less cables to deal with.

Oh...and mice. They like running up the UMC cord, finding their way in by the charge port door and saying hello. Our HPWC is shorter, so it doesn't touch the floor. Haven't had mice since, although I'm sure if they're determined they could still find their way in.

• Like x 1
  7. jldf310

jldf310 Member

Why not? They are the same price as a spare UMC cord. Also, technically it does let you charge faster than a UMC - 48a vs 40a.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Is your HPWC only installed on a 50 amp breaker and configured to provide 40 amps? If so, then you are charging at 40 out of 40 amps. If you have at least a 60 amp breaker installed, you should be able to configure it to provide 48 amps to your car (or possibly more, depending on the size of the breaker).

9. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

This I know, but I was asking if the mph is right for amperage and voltage.

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

You can calculate by multiplying volts * amps / 320.

• Like x 1
  11. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

It fluctuates on the same charger, based on temperature. I have a few more volts at home and I routinely see 30. At work I only have about 212 volts and I see 25-26.