Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My charge rate (MPH) at 40A and 238V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed my HPWC finally and at first I was getting around 26mph but after 30 minutes I checked on the car and saw 30mph.

Is this right?

Attachments

• IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 97
I installed my HPWC finally and at first I was getting around 26mph but after 30 minutes I checked on the car and saw 30mph. Is this right?

We see 29-30mph on our NEMA 14-50. It tops out at 40amp.
We see 34-36mph on our HPWC. Which allows us to go to 48amp.

When I'm at a low SOC or if it's really cold, I notice it takes some time to ramp up the charge rate. I got home one day with 4mi range left, it wouldn't charge at more than single digit mph for the first 15min. Numbers above are for a car in a garage, reading an interior temp of ~40-45 degrees.

The first time I used my HPWC, it defaulted to 40amp. I had to change it on the in car screen to turn it up to 48amp.

Tesla's calculator here: Home Charging Calculator

Why buy a HPWC without the dual charger option?
The HPWC also allows us to load balance two Teslas..if I ever get another as well as being a cleaner installation with less cables to deal with.

Oh...and mice. They like running up the UMC cord, finding their way in by the charge port door and saying hello. Our HPWC is shorter, so it doesn't touch the floor. Haven't had mice since, although I'm sure if they're determined they could still find their way in.

Reactions: Maximapolak
I installed my HPWC finally and at first I was getting around 26mph but after 30 minutes I checked on the car and saw 30mph.

Is this right?
Is your HPWC only installed on a 50 amp breaker and configured to provide 40 amps? If so, then you are charging at 40 out of 40 amps. If you have at least a 60 amp breaker installed, you should be able to configure it to provide 48 amps to your car (or possibly more, depending on the size of the breaker).

Is your HPWC only installed on a 50 amp breaker and configured to provide 40 amps? If so, then you are charging at 40 out of 40 amps. If you have at least a 60 amp breaker installed, you should be able to configure it to provide 48 amps to your car (or possibly more, depending on the size of the breaker).
This I know, but I was asking if the mph is right for amperage and voltage.