Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My charging failure saga has finally been resolved after over a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that suffers a similar issue here is my story.
Over a month ago after about 3000 miles my M3 started having issues charging. repeatedly said "charging interrupted" at home. Car still ran and charged OK for the most part. The warnings increased in frequency until car stopped charging altogether at home. Finally more warnings started appearing and finally the car stopped being able to drive at all. Car went to Van Nuys in a flat bed and they replaced a few obvious things, 12V battery, High Voltage controller and returned the car. A week later, car started throwing the same errors. I returned the car on a flatbed again and they took another look. They replaced a bunch of other things including the charge port door (which used to fit perfectly but now is all winky). The day after they returned the car, the same errors appeared. The tricky part in all this is that I was moving across country from LA to New York and planning a road trip. In desperation with just a couple of days before I had to leave I took the car to Burbank and they immediately took the car in and started work on it. I had great service from both centers but Burbank really went above and beyond staying in constant communication through personal cell phones, calls, and text messages. They replaced a bunch of things but couldn't resolve the issue in time. We agreed that I would try and get a loaner on the East coast and they would ship the car to my closest East coast dealer.
The SC in Mt. Kisco offered me a loaner ICE car. A Nissan Altima 2019, kind of junky to drive but adequate (amusingly every valet in NYC stopped and admired the Nissan and were super impressed with it, I didn't realise it was such a big deal in the valet community!). This is a huge benefit of Tesla being a single company rather than competing dealers. If needed they can work together as a single team and the customer can really benefit.
Finally after a couple more weeks and some extensive testing they found the issue (as I had suspected all along) to be a bad connector in the wiring harness. After another week the car arrived at my local SC though they were rather confused as there was no documentation about it. Sadly they noted that the rear glass window was damaged in transit. They replaced the glass for another week. I tried to explain that I wanted them to make sure to use the same "orange" solar tinting as my roof glass, but either they didn't understand or it doesn't exist any more (I suspect the latter). So now I have two tone glass, not terrible but not as cool as before.
Now after over a month I have the car back here in it's new home on the East coast where i get to experience new things like cold, ice, snow, heated seats. Oh and it wouldn't be New York without random people screaming at me things like "go back to f***ing California" as I sit in traffic...
All credit to the service centers for doing their best with my car. Main criticism is just the looong waits on hold on the phone. I think a bit more human to human communication between service center staff would help rather than just relying on computer notes and logs. I tried to explain several times that it would be most effective if they picked up the phone and called the other SC to discuss work that had already been done... they didn't and wasted a bit of time repeating the same failed steps.

Thanks for breaking down your M3 issues and explaining your story in detail. I am sure there will be others that benefit from this information. Hopefully as they continue to produce these vehicles and years pass they will get better with maintenance and communication to both the costumer and each other. Glad you have your M3 back although it has been not so great driving on the ice here in Colorado, it is probably not much better in NY.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Paragraphs are your friend :)

Over a month ago after about 3000 miles my M3 started having issues charging. repeatedly said "charging interrupted" at home. Car still ran and charged OK for the most part.

The warnings increased in frequency until car stopped charging altogether at home. Finally more warnings started appearing and finally the car stopped being able to drive at all.

Car went to Van Nuys in a flat bed and they replaced a few obvious things, 12V battery, High Voltage controller and returned the car.

A week later, car started throwing the same errors. I returned the car on a flatbed again and they took another look. They replaced a bunch of other things including the charge port door (which used to fit perfectly but now is all winky).

The day after they returned the car, the same errors appeared.

The tricky part in all this is that I was moving across country from LA to New York and planning a road trip. In desperation with just a couple of days before I had to leave I took the car to Burbank and they immediately took the car in and started work on it. I had great service from both centers but Burbank really went above and beyond staying in constant communication through personal cell phones, calls, and text messages. They replaced a bunch of things but couldn't resolve the issue in time. We agreed that I would try and get a loaner on the East coast and they would ship the car to my closest East coast dealer.

The SC in Mt. Kisco offered me a loaner ICE car. A Nissan Altima 2019, kind of junky to drive but adequate (amusingly every valet in NYC stopped and admired the Nissan and were super impressed with it, I didn't realise it was such a big deal in the valet community!). This is a huge benefit of Tesla being a single company rather than competing dealers. If needed they can work together as a single team and the customer can really benefit.

Finally after a couple more weeks and some extensive testing they found the issue (as I had suspected all along) to be a bad connector in the wiring harness. After another week the car arrived at my local SC though they were rather confused as there was no documentation about it.

Sadly they noted that the rear glass window was damaged in transit. They replaced the glass for another week. I tried to explain that I wanted them to make sure to use the same "orange" solar tinting as my roof glass, but either they didn't understand or it doesn't exist any more (I suspect the latter). So now I have two tone glass, not terrible but not as cool as before.

Now after over a month I have the car back here in it's new home on the East coast where i get to experience new things like cold, ice, snow, heated seats. Oh and it wouldn't be New York without random people screaming at me things like "go back to f***ing California" as I sit in traffic...

All credit to the service centers for doing their best with my car. Main criticism is just the looong waits on hold on the phone. I think a bit more human to human communication between service center staff would help rather than just relying on computer notes and logs. I tried to explain several times that it would be most effective if they picked up the phone and called the other SC to discuss work that had already been done... they didn't and wasted a bit of time repeating the same failed steps.

FTFYAEEWLP. :p

Over a month ago after about 3000 miles my M3 started having issues charging. repeatedly said "charging interrupted" at home. Car still ran and charged OK for the most part. The warnings increased in frequency until car stopped charging altogether at home. Finally more warnings started appearing and finally the car stopped being able to drive at all. Car went to Van Nuys in a flat bed and they replaced a few obvious things, 12V battery, High Voltage controller and returned the car. A week later, car started throwing the same errors. I returned the car on a flatbed again and they took another look. They replaced a bunch of other things including the charge port door (which used to fit perfectly but now is all winky). The day after they returned the car, the same errors appeared. The tricky part in all this is that I was moving across country from LA to New York and planning a road trip. In desperation with just a couple of days before I had to leave I took the car to Burbank and they immediately took the car in and started work on it. I had great service from both centers but Burbank really went above and beyond staying in constant communication through personal cell phones, calls, and text messages. They replaced a bunch of things but couldn't resolve the issue in time. We agreed that I would try and get a loaner on the East coast and they would ship the car to my closest East coast dealer.
Finally after a couple more weeks and some extensive testing they found the issue (as I had suspected all along) to be a bad connector in the wiring harness. After another week the car arrived at my local SC though they were rather confused as there was no documentation about it. Sadly they noted that the rear glass window was damaged in transit. They replaced the glass for another week. I tried to explain that I wanted them to make sure to use the same "orange" solar tinting as my roof glass, but either they didn't understand or it doesn't exist any more (I suspect the latter). So now I have two tone glass, not terrible but not as cool as before.
I would hazard a guess that the wiring harness is quite substantial, maybe a hint at where this loose connector was located?

I wish I knew the point of failure in the worryi. They weren't very forthcoming about the details of the problem. It sounded like a bent pin on a connector maybe, probably during manufacture, or a connector that wasn't properly locked during manufacture and came loose. Either way the only solution is for them to go through all the connectors until they find the problem, but they won't do that until they have exhausted all the usual suspects.

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar
My car had a charging issue related to a stuck safety pin. Tesla towed the car 400 miles to a SC, replaced the entire external charge port in two days, and returned the car to me the following day. They were this fast despite having to ship the part from CA to Colorado.