Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Color and Delivery Date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post (go easy on me, and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere before, I couldn't find it) and looking forward to becoming a Tesla Model Y owner!

I'm looking to order a MY LR, so I scanned the awesome order tracking sheet (thank you Troy!). From the stats, Red and Black are not ordered nearly as often as Blue, Silver, and White. I get why White is frequent (cheaper), and Red is less common (more expensive). But why is Black almost as uncommon as Red? Does it take longer to get delivery for the less common colors? And if you had buyer's remorse, what color did you go with versus what color do you think you would have liked to order instead?

Thanks in advance from a new member here - I just can't decided on the color the more I look at all these posts. All the colors look great to me!

Reactions: JAM3S
I love black, but after having several black cars over the years I am no longer interested in the maintenance to keep it looking sharp.

I would pick your favorite color and go with it. My first Tesla was black, my second was blue, and I just ordered my 3rd which will also be blue. I thought about red, but in person I prefer the Tesla blue over the current Tesla red.

John

Reactions: Jemblue7my
I love black, but after having several black cars over the years I am no longer interested in the maintenance to keep it looking sharp.

I would pick your favorite color and go with it. My first Tesla was black, my second was blue, and I just ordered my 3rd which will also be blue. I thought about red, but in person I prefer the Tesla blue over the current Tesla red.

John
Tesla Blue was my first choice! But I kept looking at the different colors and noticing elements I liked about each one - do you think the clear coat on the Teslas help with keeping them looking clean? I saw in other posts that some folks recommend getting a protecting coating right away. Also wondering if the car color makes any difference on the temperature inside the car....

Tesla Blue was my first choice! But I kept looking at the different colors and noticing elements I liked about each one - do you think the clear coat on the Teslas help with keeping them looking clean? I saw in other posts that some folks recommend getting a protecting coating right away. Also wondering if the car color makes any difference on the temperature inside the car....

I'm really not sure. I typically get PPF on the front of every car I buy because rock chips are an issue where I drive most of the time. Opinions are mixed on ceramic coating. One could always try the DIY kits.

Here is a picture of my two previous Tesla's looking clean and sharp with just normal wax coatings.

94C8AD5F-B203-48C8-B17D-F488549E57F5.jpeg
FAC7D4B5-2B73-4A68-9236-C4C40FC0A41A.jpeg

I'm really not sure. I typically get PPF on the front of every car I buy because rock chips are an issue where I drive most of the time. Opinions are mixed on ceramic coating. One could always try the DIY kits.

Here is a picture of my two previous Tesla's looking clean and sharp with just normal wax coatings.

View attachment 637116 View attachment 637117
Wow look at the shine on those cars!! Blue and Black both look amazing. Making it harder to decide ;)

Reactions: Justicepool
I was in a parking lot the other day that had 5 MYs, in all the different colors. Seriously like a showroom. White, black. blue, red, MSM. I was kinda torn between blue and red, car colors which I've never had, but seeing it in person in sun made the red a no brainer for me. Which is good because that's what's on order!

Reactions: Justicepool
I was in a parking lot the other day that had 5 MYs, in all the different colors. Seriously like a showroom. White, black. blue, red, MSM. I was kinda torn between blue and red, car colors which I've never had, but seeing it in person in sun made the red a no brainer for me. Which is good because that's what's on order!
Nice! Red is a great color - just watch out for those pesky speed traps!

I just bought White One since it is "free". I will do a car wrap for about 1500$-1800$ which will be way better than any color Tesla has and provide protection for the oringinal paint.
They're doing that in China through Tesla - I wonder if US Tesla will start offering wrap services? Are the Tesla paint jobs really not so great? I have owned several German cars and they all had some minor issue here or there, or got pitted like normal on the front. As long as these card don't start peeling like some of the cheaper Japanese cars from a decade ago, I'd be happy with Tesla's colors. They really look slick as is.

Colours are a subjective thing. Red for me is too boy racer. After having a black car and as like others, I'll never buy black again. The upkeep is just too much work. As for white, I am not a fan of white at all and seeing a vast number of non-Tesla vehicles here in California with peeling paint, I'd never personally go with it. The blue looks good but both the wife and I liked the MSM, so that is what we ordered. Go for whatever colour makes you happy.

Interesting .. my SA bets new headlights and updated consoles are only for Model 3, he says they have not gotten any official communication from corporate regarding this.

Btw, I ordered MY 7 seater - SR on Feb8th (Texas). ETA was Feb 16th to March 7th and it changed to Feb 23 - March 23.

I just bought White One since it is "free". I will do a car wrap for about 1500$-1800$ which will be way better than any color Tesla has and provide protection for the oringinal paint.

I initially thought I'd get while because I plan on wrapping, however, you have to pay extra to wrap interior parts (like the inside of the door) So if you have a while car and get a dark wrap, you will see while when you open.

So I opted for Gray as my wrap is grey-sh that way when the wrap starts to go bad (since it's not forever) I have the option to not do wrap again and still like the color

Colours are a subjective thing. Red for me is too boy racer. After having a black car and as like others, I'll never buy black again. The upkeep is just too much work. As for white, I am not a fan of white at all and seeing a vast number of non-Tesla vehicles here in California with peeling paint, I'd never personally go with it. The blue looks good but both the wife and I liked the MSM, so that is what we ordered. Go for whatever colour makes you happy.
MSM is really nice under the lighting I saw it in (was the test drive vehicle, and it was in a garage so at first I didn’t like it, felt it was too plain, but then when I pulled it out into sunshine it really looked great). Well, this is making it harder to pick! But thanks for the suggestions, I agree it’s personal choice...

Red isn't as common probably because of the higher price, and some people may associate a red car with a cop-magnet. It's a great looking color on the Model Y, but it's a bit too flashy looking for my tastes.

I see tons of white and MSM Model Y's on the road around the Los Angeles area, more white than MSM. I see a fair share of black Y's on the road, and then blue & red. I really haven't seen too many blue Y's on the road, but I'm sure they're out there.

I just sold my MSM Model 3, and I really liked the color and it looked good on a Model 3. But for whatever reason (at least to me), something looks a bit off on a MSM Model Y, and maybe that's because I was used to my Model 3 in that color and in that chassis design. But alas, we ordered a white Model Y because I liked the color, my wife didn't want another MSM Tesla (or black), and she said red would be too feminine looking for me when I drive the car :p.

I've owned a black car, I would never again want to deal with that.

I've also owned a white car, grey, silver and red (and now Blue). Black is by far the most unforgiving color. It will show every imperfection, finger print, watermark, scratch, swirl, etc. and starts looking dirty almost immediately after it's been washed. If you plan on keeping it in a garage and you don't mind having to invest a lot of your time worrying about how it is being maintained, washed, etc. You will have some hope of being able to actually keep it looking good while also maintaining your sanity. I would absolutely not recommend it without a garage.

The other factor likely deterring people is that you actually now have to pay for black (flat, non-metallic, paint) while multi-coat pearl white is free. These days, you really really have to love black to get a black Tesla.

Though it's my first blue car, I'm really happy with the Deep Blue we ended up going with on our Model Y.