Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My "commute" is exactly 300 miles each way - will a 90D save me time vs 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDIT: Oops, I put this in the wrong forum - mods please move to the Model S forum. Sorry!

I make a 600 mile r/t drive between So Cal and Mammoth approximately 12-14 times per year. Any current Tesla is going to require supercharging unless I drive slowly enough to make the entire 300 mile trip in an 85 or 90D - which I can't bring myself to do. My typical cruising speed on rural freeways is around 80 mph (which I've found CHP tolerates).

There are two superchargers on my route between my home and Mammoth - the first about 100 miles into the drive and the second at the 200 mile mark.

Is there any time savings from having the increased range of the 90D? Or can I just split my supercharging between the two chargers - say stop for a 10 minute juice up at the first one, and then another 10 minute charge at the second one? I don't care if I arrive in Mammoth close to the end of my charge because my condo complex has Tesla chargers in the parking lot.

I only plan to keep my Model S 5 years or less because I assume that we are in for major range upgrades in the next few years and also increased autonomous driving capabilities. I also have a sports car for my real "spirited driving" so the wimpy 70D motor doesn't concern me (although lack of passing power does).

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I make a 600 mile r/t drive between So Cal and Mammoth approximately 12-14 times per year. Any current Tesla is going to require supercharging unless I drive slowly enough to make the entire 300 mile trip in an 85 or 90D - which I can't bring myself to do. My typical cruising speed on rural freeways is around 80 mph (which I've found CHP tolerates).

There are two superchargers on my route between my home and Mammoth - the first about 100 miles into the drive and the second at the 200 mile mark.

Is there any time savings from having the increased range of the 90D? Or can I just split my supercharging between the two chargers - say stop for a 10 minute juice up at the first one, and then another 10 minute charge at the second one? I don't care if I arrive in Mammoth close to the end of my charge because my condo complex has Tesla chargers in the parking lot.

I only plan to keep my Model S 5 years or less because I assume that we are in for major range upgrades in the next few years and also increased autonomous driving capabilities. I also have a sports car for my real "spirited driving" so the wimpy 70D motor doesn't concern me (although lack of passing power does).

Thanks for any advice!

You get more range and faster Supercharging charging with the 90D.

Yeah that's my question basically - I realize I get more range of course with the 90D - but I'm trying to figure out whether, if I have to stop to charge at some point even in the 90D - if there is any actual time savings from its increased range (given that the total trip distance is too long for even the 90D, especially when cruising at 80mph instead of 65 mph).

I didn't realize that the supercharging is faster on the 90D though - thanks for that info.

I would only stop at the second sc each way. A 200m leg is easy if it's your first leg with a 90% charge on an 85d or 90d.

Not sure if it's possible with a 70d.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize the elevation changes in your neck of the woods. Skipping a SC @ 80 mph may not be possible.

Last edited:
Use evtripplaner.com Mammoth is a lot of elevation change. You're going to want the superchargers along the way up for sure.

I'd get the 90. After 5 years of electric car driving, get the biggest battery you can, and the fastest charging you can, for the most range you can get. 0-60 is fun once in a while. Range you use everyday.

My guess is there will be only a small difference in time savings between 90 and 70 with both making 2 stops. If you skip a charge stop in the 85 or 90 you may not make the 200 mile distance reliably at 80-85 mph. By skipping the first stop you should be able to reduce the charge stops to one 10-15 minute stop.
Our nearest SC in route Billings is 220 miles and we can easily reach in both directions at 70-75 MPH, in P85D, in good weather, in poor conditions or cold we must slow down. By doing the 200 miles first you would be able to adjust you speed to make the SC and you would not need to wait 1hour for full charge to continue.

Yeah that's my question basically - I realize I get more range of course with the 90D - but I'm trying to figure out whether, if I have to stop to charge at some point even in the 90D - if there is any actual time savings from its increased range (given that the total trip distance is too long for even the 90D, especially when cruising at 80mph instead of 65 mph).

I didn't realize that the supercharging is faster on the 90D though - thanks for that info.

It has more range, for that 300 miles you would need fewer miles of Supercharging in the 90D.
It charges faster (90D battery is a bit different, but you can think of it as 90/70 faster Supercharging at any given state-of-charge) at a better ratio than the ratio of range.
Therefore you need fewer miles and you get those miles faster.

But, it's not as simple as saying you reduction charging time by (<70D miles needed> - <90D miles needed> x 70/90) x 100% charging time, since in a 70D you'd arrive at a Supercharger with a lower state of charge, and therefore the "extra" miles needed would be at a faster rate.

Algebra says that you _would_ save time, but due to charging speed depending on state of charge, calculus would be needed to say _how much_ time you'd save.

Unless your sports car is very high end, you probably not want to drive it much after drive a 90D or P90D, which are very good at "spirited" driving. A P90D could be both your fun car and your commute car.

I wouldn't base a purchasing decision on this one edge case. Any of the S models will work well for this trip; the time differences are likely marginal under most conditions. You'll drive the car every day: which model makes the most sense when you factor in everything else?