Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My concerns about the Audi É-Tron (Quebec)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me of the story about Nissan's first attempt to break into the North American market. Supposedly, they decided to consult with the Germans to help them choose a name for their cars. "Certainly, we can help", said the German consultants. "How soon do you need the name?" "Next week", said Nissan. "Dat soon?", replied the Germans.
And that's how the Datsun marque was born. :)
Are you kidding me?

Reminds me of the story about Nissan's first attempt to break into the North American market. Supposedly, they decided to consult with the Germans to help them choose a name for their cars. "Certainly, we can help", said the German consultants. "How soon do you need the name?" "Next week", said Nissan. "Dat soon?", replied the Germans.
And that's how the Datsun marque was born. :)

Are you kidding me?

Maybe makes for a fun joke, but not the real story behind the name (former Datsun 510 driver here...)
BTW the DAT Motors name which eventually became Datsun predated their ‘58 N.American market entry by decades
Datsun - Wikipedia

Someone spotted the new Audi Turdmobile charging at VW’s Headquarters in Ajax Ontario. Photo by IoniqEV on PlugShare.
B66441CA-026F-4EEF-8457-13347DAD0D96.jpeg

The Audi E-Tron is coming out in dealers soon and I can’t not wait to see it on the roads. This thread is less so about the car itself, but its’ unfortunate name and connotation in Quebec as well as in France.

The name E-Tron, I guess means, Elec-Tronic or something of the sort. In french: Élec-Tronique. During the Super Bowl LII, there was an ad on the Audi E-Tron, in french, and presented as the Audi Étron! In french, the word “étron” means fecal matter, in other words: a piece of *sugar*! which isn’t what I would want my car to be called.

I wonder if Audi is looking to change the name of the car for frenchies to avoid the negative connotation. Anyway, I’ll definitely have a laugh about this!
They won't.

This reminds me, my wife told me that the Honda Fit in Sweden was called the Fitta which means a lady private part.

They scrambled to change the name when it was pointed out.

This is from my wife, so the source can sometimes be questionable

This reminds me, my wife told me that the Honda Fit in Sweden was called the Fitta which means a lady private part.

They scrambled to change the name when it was pointed out.

This is from my wife, so the source can sometimes be questionable
Almost. check out post 11 in this thread

Attachments

• 69EC5344-BCE3-4835-808E-C68D7CA0C961.jpeg
    69EC5344-BCE3-4835-808E-C68D7CA0C961.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 60
Now, I know E-Tron is funny, but this thing beats the E-Tron’s funniness on every ****ing level, literally.

Meet the new Subaru ****S Edition!!!

I mean, at some point, I get that Audi didn’t do great for the french language barrier, but ENGLISH??? What were they thinking?!

(****: f.u.c.k.)
AF165030-7D54-46E4-8FB3-C2EB61757211.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: