Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Confirmation Story - A different kind of religious experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After over 6 weeks of serious Tesla OCD, we put in our order on October 12. Though we still had some unanswered config questions, it was time to put up or shut up.

Our prior test drive was way back on Labor Day and was before we knew anything about the cars really. Unfortunately in Austin you can only get test drives during their periodic Test Drive Events and due to our travel schedule, today was the first day we could get back in the gallery to test drive again. Unanswered questions were mostly around color/finishes, Pano or Panot, and most importantly, to P or not to P.

This morning, ahead of the test drive, I contacted Alliant and they took our application over the phone. About 30 minutes before we left for the gallery, they called back with the news that the loan is approved: 90k for 72 mo at 1.49%. That is practically free money. A good sign! We drove to the gallery somewhat nervous and assuming that all the test cars would be P85+ and the performance question would be difficult to gauge. We immediately ran into Jason who took us on our first test drive way back then and remembered us. And, lo and behold, they had a S60 with pano, textile seats, and regular sound and a P85 with leather seats, no pano, and upgraded sound. We had already decided on upgraded sound but were a little unsure based on all the threads on the topic. So, we both got to drive both cars and everything came clear. While the S60 was quick, the P is just breathtaking. The wife's comment was that the performance response made the car feel smaller. No contest on the stereo, the upgrade sounds way better and I am not up for an after market audio experience, which has never gone well for me in the past. We decided to pass on the pano; it was the one thing she felt strongly about and the truth is our cars have always had sun/moon roofs and living in the Texas heat, we almost never opened them. The plain white/tan leather/obeche matte looked really good to us.

We went back into the store and brought up our config on their very nice Mac, made the choices, and then I hovered the pointer over the confirm link. The air crackled between the two of us, and I pushed the link, and it was done! Wow. This is over twice what we have ever paid for a car before, and it feels both exciting and dangerous in a way. But it also feels right. Plus, they gave us free mugs for confirming in the store.

Now the waiting begins.

PS, the tech package upgrade with power folding mirrors came in between order and confirmation and my config still showed the old tech config. I emailed my guy in Denver and he says they will get that updated for us.

PPS, Jason said we should see the car in early December.

PPPS, I don't expect any birthday or Christmas presents from my wife for the foreseeable future! No problem.

Last edited:
First of all, Congratulations!! It's definitely an new and pleasant way to purchase a car. It reminded me of purchasing something in an Apple Store. The fact that there's no numbers game made me feel comfortable and non pressured. However, In about 30minutes, you will get a pleasant introduction to Texex. So, just go back into your config and add the +. He will talk you into it! No, I'm just kidding, your choices are great. I was contemplating the roof as well since Florida is similar to Texas in heat and humidity. We decided to get it after someone recommended a ceramic clear tint that will reduce the uv light penetrating the sunroof. The P is an eye opener that makes it practically impossible to resist. I started with an S and upgraded in a day. You'll probably change your minds a few times. Ask many questions on the forum, everyone is super nice and helpful. I actually get mine tomorrow! enjoy the experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at that! 30 minutes or less! he got to you WHILE I was writing my response!!

OK, well I forgot to proactively tell Tex to forget it. + is totally out of the question.

Also, I tried to post a picture of my full config but I can't figure it out.

So, it's performance/white/tan/obeche matte/19 in primacy/HPWC/parcel shelf/lighting/air suspension/tech/sound/parking sensors

Congrats!

Any reason for applying for the loan so far in advance? That's a wasted credit inquiry that will hurt your score for when you actually need it in December.

My policy on a large purchase is to know where the money is coming from before I do it. Got bitten on that once. I'm not concerned about the extra inquiry at this point and neither was the Alliant guy. All good.

Great story, really nice selection of finishes and Options.
(Wish I could have ordered parking sensors and folding mirrors, and perhaps the P but such is life.)

Good to know you have already confirmed, and your car should arrive before Christmas.
Ho, ho, ho!

Made a slight variation to the config. I just kept getting the feeling that this car should have the pano roof, so I deleted the premium lighting and added the pano roof. This is the only option that the wife and I disagree on, but I'm 6'2" and like the headroom. Plus I remember sitting in the back seat of the demo without pano and hitting my head on the roof. I'm a little nervous about the issues I read about on the forums (creaking and wind noise) but I'm just going with the notion that whatever happens Tesla will make it right.

Made a slight variation to the config. I just kept getting the feeling that this car should have the pano roof, so I deleted the premium lighting and added the pano roof. This is the only option that the wife and I disagree on, but I'm 6'2" and like the headroom. Plus I remember sitting in the back seat of the demo without pano and hitting my head on the roof. I'm a little nervous about the issues I read about on the forums (creaking and wind noise) but I'm just going with the notion that whatever happens Tesla will make it right.
Makes a whole lot of sense. You will get so much more utility and fun from the pano roof. And Tesla is dedicated to the best customer service, so you should be golden.

There are plenty of cars with pano that don't have wind or creaking. Mine is one of them. Over 7,500 miles and not a single issue. So sit back, enjoy the wait and no worries! Congrats!

?..so I deleted the premium lighting and added the pano roof. This is the only option that the wife and I disagree on, but I'm 6'2" and like the headroom. Plus I remember sitting in the back seat of the demo without pano and hitting my head on the roof.
I'm the same height but didn't get the pano roof. I have no interest in ever sitting in the back seat of my S. I always want to be holding the steering wheel...