Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My cpo 11/2015 P90DL, should I refuse delivery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my car a week ago and have a delivery date of 4/17-4/18. I have been so excited about getting my P90DL but after searching and reading this forum, I am almost to the point where I want to just cancel it due to the battery crap I've been reading. If the car has a V1 battery should I just say the hell with it and refuse delivery? I am spending quite a bit of money on this car and feel like I'm getting a known lemon that won't perform like it's supposed to. I actually spent a little more for the 90 over the 85 because I drive a lot and wanted a little extra range plus I thought the ludicrous package would be fun to have.

When I get to Atlanta this week, the first thing I'm going to do is check the battery sticker and find out what battery Version I have. I am super new to Tesla so would someone that really knows the truth on this tell me what I should do if I find I have a V1 battery?

Sorry but I made some sacrifices to buy this car and I'm just sick after reading what I have.

Sounds like you got the car you wanted. Why stress yourself about minor aspects? Worst case scenario it's a v1 90kWh battery & craps out next month. Tesla replaces it free under warranty. They're not making v1 batteries anymore. You get a free upgrade to a new v3 90kWh battery pack. Christmas in May.

Seriously, don't stress. Put 4/17-4/18 on the calendar & then do your best to forget about it. Some people on this forum WAY overanalyze things.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got the car you wanted. Why stress yourself about minor aspects? Worst case scenario itsi a v1 90kWh battery & craps out next month. Tesla replaces it free under warranty. They're not making v1 batteries anymore. You get a free upgrade to a new v3 90kWh battery pack. Christmas in May.

Seriously, don't stress. Put 4/17-4/18 on the calendar & then do your best to forget about it. Some people on this forum WAY overanalyze things.

This. Best advice ever.

Sounds like you got the car you wanted. Why stress yourself about minor aspects? Worst case scenario it's a v1 90kWh battery & craps out next month. Tesla replaces it free under warranty. They're not making v1 batteries anymore. You get a free upgrade to a new v3 90kWh battery pack. Christmas in May.

That's all fun and games, but I think you're also oversimplifying the situation a bit. The incompetence and carelessness I've witnessed from my local SC is not something I want to have to go through again. So if I know the car has higher chances of needing service, I won't buy it. Never again.

Having to wait weeks on the new battery and hope they will do it right takes a lot of fun out of a $60k car. If I were the OP, I would reject it.

• Love
Reactions: croman and P85_DA
I would at least see what version you are getting before you reject it. I think you have a good chance at getting a V2. You also have quite a bit of time to cover any issues even if you do get a V1. It really comes down to what kind of a deal you got and how comfortable you feel taking the chance.

FWIW my 85L failed three months after delivery. Long story but after two one week visits to the service center and two pack swaps I did get a V3 90kw replacement. According to the part # and CAN BUS data I also don’t believe it is a refurb, but a new battery. If you’re happy with the car after seeing it (that is it’s own issue...) I think all will work out in the end.

Ordered my car a week ago and have a delivery date of 4/17-4/18. I have been so excited about getting my P90DL but after searching and reading this forum, I am almost to the point where I want to just cancel it due to the battery crap I've been reading. If the car has a V1 battery should I just say the hell with it and refuse delivery? I am spending quite a bit of money on this car and feel like I'm getting a known lemon that won't perform like it's supposed to. I actually spent a little more for the 90 over the 85 because I drive a lot and wanted a little extra range plus I thought the ludicrous package would be fun to have.

When I get to Atlanta this week, the first thing I'm going to do is check the battery sticker and find out what battery Version I have. I am super new to Tesla so would someone that really knows the truth on this tell me what I should do if I find I have a V1 battery?

Sorry but I made some sacrifices to buy this car and I'm just sick after reading what I have.

I think you should stop reading what makes you sick, congratulate yourself on buying a Tesla and enjoy your car.

Why on earth would you worry yourself before you even know there is a problem? Have you seen photos of the car? If the photos look good, you should stop most of your worrying as from what I can tell Tesla has made improvements to the used car sale process over the last few months. Many of the photos of cars I am seeing now are clean.

Also any issues with the car will be covered by your 2 or 4 year warranty. Don't let all this worrying ruin your dream!

If they do deliver a car with issues, ask them to make things right, or look for another car. Just give Tesla the chance to deliver the car you ordered before you get all worried and worked up.

You live in Mobile right? I guess, based solely on darxsys's post, I would just not go to the Seattle SC. You will be fine.

I think this is part of my anxiety. I live 350 miles from the closest SC and I don’t have time to deal with error messages and taking the car to Atlanta. Guess I’ll just plow through it and see what happens.

Note to self. Don’t search forums, rather use free time drag racing punk kids

I think this is part of my anxiety. I live 350 miles from the closest SC and I don’t have time to deal with error messages and taking the car to Atlanta. Guess I’ll just plow through it and see what happens.

All of my issues we able to be fixed by mobile, or was towed to the SC at Tesla’s expense (~200 miles.)

Well, good luck.

Just remember, everyone here saying it’s going to be fine won’t be around when some issue does happen and you’re stuck for weeks without the car.

• Love
Reactions: croman and P85_DA
Some people will complain about everything they've had. Others treat small glitches as just that, small glitches that are part of life. In this case you are buying a high tech, high performance, unique car that does have limited support options because it is not a traditional car maker with a large dealer network. That didn't change between the time you ordered and now. My experience is that the car has only gone to the service center for the annual maintenance (which is now optional, but that's another story). Many glitches are resolved over the air or with a reset of the car or with mobile service. Sweating what battery pack you got would be waay down near the bottom of my list for a CPO car because you have the warranty and are fully protected. Should (and that is a "should" not "when") you have an issue where the car is at the service center for an extended period of time, they will give you a loaner or a rental free of charge so you will still have a car.

Ask people on this forum who live a long distance from a service center. They can give you a better read on what life is like in that situation.

As a side note, I thought your post was funny in that you said you got the P90 because you wanted more range when in face a 90 has significantly more range than a P90 at the expense of the ludicrous acceleration (although the 90 is pretty damn sporty compared to any ICE car...).

Bottom line -- sounds like you are getting a great car you will love. Enjoy it and don't sweat this stuff...

Reactions: bmah and Akikiki