Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CPO program worked really well for me. I got a nice discount on the price and a very good 2012 model S. Please note that very good is not the same as perfect.

You need to consider though, if your expectation is an absolutely perfect car, maybe you should be buying a new car instead of a used car.

Hi everyone,

I ordered a P85+ CPO car from the SF bay area and it was shipped to my local service center, Costa Mesa, for prep and delivery. Like many of you, I started reading this forum while waiting for delivery (delivery this Wednesday..can't wait!). The 2 or 3 CPO paint issue threads on this forum has me concerned even though the carfax and autocheck are clean. I spoke to the DS today asking if I can get a PPI at a body shop nearby and she said that they do not allow the cars to leave the premises before delivery for PPIs or anything else. She tried to reassure me that they do not allow any cars with major body work, major paintwork, etc. into the program nor has she ever heard of instances where CPO customers had any paint issues. Thanks to this forum, I provided her with some examples.
Bottom line: She's checking with her manager whether I can have someone come on premises to inspect it instead (and hopefully be able to have it raised on a lift too), but it might be tough for me to find someone to come to their service center. I also stated that if they don't CPO cars with any major paintwork, body work, etc., they should have no problem noting it on the due bill as a condition of sale. She's checking into that as well.

Has anyone been able to get a PPI for their CPO car at a body shop? If so, what was the procedure? I'm hoping my DS is wrong about the offsite PPI policy.

I hope you have luck in getting this done. One option would be to take a "test drive" with the car and you pick the route, which just so happens having you step out to look around the car at your PPI's shop! I do note that she is correct that anything noted on the due bill will get fixed. I would be thorough and make sure it all gets notated. What cars are allowed into the CPO program likely has evolved since it started. When my car was released, I believe the rule was "no airbag deployment". It could be more stringent now and likely is given cars like mine requiring a decent number of repairs (even if they are all "warranty"-type repairs).

Please note that very good is not the same as perfect. You need to consider though, if your expectation is an absolutely perfect car, maybe you should be buying a new car instead of a used car.

I agree with you. There are a few rock chips in my car, dings in the aluminum color trim around the 17" and door pulls, a scuff in the headliner that didn't come out, and a small tear/surface shear in the leather - none of which I made any gripe about nor asked to be replaced. These were "very good" items vs. perfect items in my book. The state my vehicle was in though (IMO) was not "very good".

Adding to this discussion late, but, I was heartsick to hear about Cyclone's disaster . Someone wrote that if you don't want a used car, buy new. To be clear, CPO cars in the industry are not just detailed used cars. They are supposed to represent the elite of used cars. That means going over them with a fine tooth comb before they are selected as being sold as CPO cars. That would include looking for previous paint work of any kind, and if found, rejected (this is easily done with paint meters). If selected, then they go through a complete reconditioning to make them look like brand new. All fluids are changed so that they start out from their resale date as new in that regard. Brake pads are automatically replaced regardless of wear so that again, the vehicle is as new as can be made from their resale date. Rusty rotors on a CPO vehicle is unheard of. New tires, wipers blades, mats should be standard operating practice on a CPO. Dealers charge a huge premium for CPO's verses their regular used cars - it's supposed to be for a reason. If Tesla doesn't get with the industry program, then their CPO program will fail, and rightfully so. Here's hoping that Cyclone has found some peace and happiness after such mistreatment.

Adding to this discussion late, but, I was heartsick to hear about Cyclone's disaster . Someone wrote that if you don't want a used car, buy new. To be clear, CPO cars in the industry are not just detailed used cars. They are supposed to represent the elite of used cars. That means going over them with a fine tooth comb before they are selected as being sold as CPO cars. That would include looking for previous paint work of any kind, and if found, rejected (this is easily done with paint meters). If selected, then they go through a complete reconditioning to make them look like brand new. All fluids are changed so that they start out from their resale date as new in that regard. Brake pads are automatically replaced regardless of wear so that again, the vehicle is as new as can be made from their resale date. Rusty rotors on a CPO vehicle is unheard of. New tires, wipers blades, mats should be standard operating practice on a CPO. Dealers charge a huge premium for CPO's verses their regular used cars - it's supposed to be for a reason. If Tesla doesn't get with the industry program, then their CPO program will fail, and rightfully so. Here's hoping that Cyclone has found some peace and happiness after such mistreatment.

What you describe is indeed how other premium car manufacturers implement their CPO programs.

It seems Tesla has implemented some changes since this thread was started and I remember a couple of months ago, for the very first time, someone mentioned being offered a "used" Model S by Tesla that they were not going to CPO for whatever reason. If true, this would be a good policy as only the finest used Model S vehicles (based on mileage, repair/issue history, paint condition, past accident damage) should qualify for CPO status and the rest should be sold as used cars. This is what the rest of the industry does and IMHO this is the minimum that Tesla should do when they sell a CPO car.

If paint work is done at shops that don't deal with car-fax, then car-fax can't report it. People get their cars painted all the time without going through insurance - they don't want their rates to go up. On the other hand, someone may have their fender painted for a scratch, and if done with a car-fax registered shop, it will show up as an accident. This happened to my wife's car. People need to stop treating car-fax and other reporting services as the bible. Every dealer has a hand held electronic paint meter which instantly tells them if the part they place it on has had previous repaint work. That should be an instant warning for CPO vehicles, because they don't know the nature of the repair - scratch or something more severe like a twisted unibody. While they can try to inspect further to guess at the nature of the prior damage, this should disqualify them for a CPO program. If Tesla states that they won't use vehicles for the CPO program with "major" damage, who's to determine what a subjective term like "major" is? Upon further inspection they may feel confident that the particular vehicle is sound, but it could then be sold as a used vehicle, not a CPO vehicle.

Sorry to report, CPO program is a major disappointment for us. I wish I read this thread before we pulled the trigger. I've been through the new model S experience before, and decided to go the CPO route for our second one. We picked up a 2013 P85 last weekend at the mothership in Fremont, and waited nearly two months and paid $3000 for shipping for the car since it was being shipped from Hawaii back to ca. Why did we do something that sounds so silly? It had the right color, options, and price that my wife wanted and it was the only one on the market at that time that fit the bill. This was an early anniversary gift (which is now unfortunately a huge letdown). I was very wary as anyone would be since I couldn't see the car in person, and I was about to pay thousands to have it shipped. But I was promised by sales that the car was perfect, and that it would be made 'immaculate' when we received it. I asked for lots of pictures and they Sent us pictures. I was told the car was perfect, don't worry we stand by our cars. We ordered it and paid the shipping. We took a test drive at the factory in another P85, and were given positive updates all along the way about how great the car was.

Since we picked it up last weekend on Saturday, nothing but problems. The first thing I noticed was that it was dirty, debris In the carpet, and smudges on the leather. It even had the registration sticker from the previous owner on the bumper. I had to ask them to take it off for us. They told me numerous times that they had done a thorough inspection, driven by several test drivers. I made the huge mistake of assuming this was true and could be taken for face value. I asked if the center armrests could be replaced due to discoloration, they said that was normal wear and tear. However, they did notice there was this issue with the glass they had never seen before, but the service center would take care of it. It looked like permanent raindrops on all the glass and the B pillars. The worst was the rear Window and passenger side. My fault for believing them and ignoring my own common sense to check the vehicle more thoroughly and reject it outright. Since it was a gift for my wife, i didn't want to make a big deal about everything and I let her drive home. I was trying not to ruin the experience that day since we had waited so long for the car. Once we got home, I cleaned the car and it actually looked much better, all the dirt in the leather surprisingly came out. The discoloration on the armrests just turned out to be grime and dirt anyone could have gotten out with a washcloth.

Next day (Sunday), really drove the car for some distance on the highway and noticed the alignment of the car was way off, the car going straight had a steering wheel pointed to the passenger side about 10-15 degrees. Then, we also noticed significant wind noise from the panoramic roof. Drove to the service center later and they noticed the seal of the panoramic roof were broken and some areas had sunken in. The service manager was great, took time to immediately check out the problems on the car. He said he would order the glass, fix the alignment, and deal with the roof. Once we started to drive at night, the drops on all the windows became magnified, and significantly impaired vision out the back window as well as the passenger side.

Come Wednesday, my wife drives to work and she calls me to tell me that the steering and suspension are now making strange creaking noises, and it happens when accelerating, braking, or going over bumps. At this point, we both lost confidence in the car. I drove to our local service center to confirm they had a loaner. We just sold her Mercedes, the day before, so I cancel my workday, drive an hour to her work through traffic, picked up the car, left her my car, and drove to FREMONT. The assistant manager of delivery, who was very nice, came out & sat with me in the car and was able to see all of the issues Herself

I dropped the car off and picked up the loaner. All in all, I'm told that it will take at least a week in repairs. This has been a huge letdown and disappointment for us since we were expecting a CPO process that was similar to a Mercedes experience, since the salespeople at tesla communicate that it will be similar to a new car experience. It's hard to imagine that one experience can be so good(new car delivery), and the other one so bad(CPO). If I had known that the all the glass on the car had a major issue, that the alignment was off, the roof had broken down, and the steering had a problem, I never would have agreed to pay thousands to ship a car. It was misrepresented to us and I majorly regret having gone down this CPO path because it is not the same CPO that you get from other manufacturers. Taking this risk cost us more time, anguish, and energy than any other car we have purchased. This is a car that grossly misrepresented and I feel somewhat duped. It should have never been delivered and it would have taken anyone paying attention for 5 minutes to figure that out. Even the service center manger thought the car should not have been delivered in its state of condition, particularly given the visual impairment.

I actually asked the assistant manager of the delivery team in Fremont if she could please help us find another car and restore our faith in their process. She directed me to the original salesperson who would contact me, but I have not heard from them yet. Hope that they stand by that although after reading this forum I'm not at all hopeful.

At this point, I'm even thinking about getting rid of my stock in the company since this has soured our whole perspective of Tesla as a company. Who in their right mind sets an expectation for their customers with words like immaculate, and goes on to grossly underachieve reaching that goal. It makes me feel like the company is loosely run and that it's still amateur hour in some areas. I get that the CPO portion is relatively new, but watching the competition (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi) means you have a standard and don't need to reinvent the wheel. No luxury dealership would think about letting a CPO car leave their lot in the condition that our model S was in. CPO is where you prove your cars and your service together are lasting components. This is horrible service and QC with a mid range volume of cars. Can't imagine what will happen when they have to deliver on many more cars like the model 3.

Will update this post when I get a real response. Trying to stay positive. Hopefully they will agree in getting us something that doesn't feel like a lemon

Sorry to report, CPO program is a major disappointment for us. I wish I read this thread before we pulled the trigger....

Will update this post when I get a real response. Trying to stay positive. Hopefully they will agree in getting us something that doesn't feel like a lemon

I can't overstate the importance of being prepared to REFUSE DELIVERY on a CPO. Refuse delivery until they make it right and if it cannot be made right be ready to write off the $1000 deposit, if it comes to that.

Reactions: KZKZ and KJD
Update: our CPO car as I described above had so many issues in the first couple days, tesla decided to take the car back and help us find another one! They bend over backwards and really do try to help make you happy. I really applaud them for that. Please keep in mind, I am close to the mothership in fremont so I communicated directly and quickly to the upper management. They were actually very nice and quite understanding.

Please don't make the mistake I did. I would have never done this with any other used car but assumed (my fault) CPO at Tesla means something. Put unnecessary blind faith in a CPO program that probably takes more time to mature and delivering CPO's is probably not jobs 1, 2, or 3. My observation is that it's a different animal than what most other mature CPO programs are. Tesla employees I can tell are working hard and are juggling a lot of responsibilities with new deliveries as well, which I'm sure is the priority (not an excuse). Spend A LOT of time checking out the car in person before delivery day, and drive it up to highway speeds. I agree AP with Drucifer, be prepared to turn down the car if you are not happy. Don't get caught up in the excitement of delivery day. Don't ignore the little voice in your head that says that's not cool.....if you let them know, the tesla staff one way or another will make it right for you. You can bet I'll be examining the next CPO 3 if not 4 times over in person before taking delivery.

Can't say enough about how attentive and supportive our local Dublin SC is. They are great and I'm glad that they are there. They are loaning me a car since I sold our other one when we picked up on delivery day. Solid on their part.

Just FYI this is the first list of things that required SC work on the CPO P85 we were delivered (based on service list in the window on the dash):

- replace B pillars
- replace B pillar appliqués
- replace both right lower control arms and bolts
- replace left lower aft arm
- perform bulletin SB 15-31-004 bolts front suspension then road test
- alignment along with center steering wheel
- replace all moving door glass 4 doors
- replace roof fixed glass
- replace both quarter glass
- perform pano roof wind noise SB 13-24-006
- perform bulletin SB 15-11-002

• Informative
Reactions: MsElectric
Update: our CPO car as I described above had so many issues in the first couple days, tesla decided to take the car back and help us find another one! They bend over backwards and really do try to help make you happy. I really applaud them for that. Please keep in mind, I am close to the mothership in fremont so I communicated directly and quickly to the upper management. They were actually very nice and quite understanding.

Please don't make the mistake I did. I would have never done this with any other used car but assumed (my fault) CPO at Tesla means something. Put unnecessary blind faith in a CPO program that probably takes more time to mature and delivering CPO's is probably not jobs 1, 2, or 3. My observation is that it's a different animal than what most other mature CPO programs are. Tesla employees I can tell are working hard and are juggling a lot of responsibilities with new deliveries as well, which I'm sure is the priority (not an excuse). Spend A LOT of time checking out the car in person before delivery day, and drive it up to highway speeds. I agree AP with Drucifer, be prepared to turn down the car if you are not happy. Don't get caught up in the excitement of delivery day. Don't ignore the little voice in your head that says that's not cool.....if you let them know, the tesla staff one way or another will make it right for you. You can bet I'll be examining the next CPO 3 if not 4 times over in person before taking delivery.

Can't say enough about how attentive and supportive our local Dublin SC is. They are great and I'm glad that they are there. They are loaning me a car since I sold our other one when we picked up on delivery day. Solid on their part.

Just FYI this is the first list of things that required SC work on the CPO P85 we were delivered (based on service list in the window on the dash):

- replace B pillars
- replace B pillar appliqués
- replace both right lower control arms and bolts
- replace left lower aft arm
- perform bulletin SB 15-31-004 bolts front suspension then road test
- alignment along with center steering wheel
- replace all moving door glass 4 doors
- replace roof fixed glass
- replace both quarter glass
- perform pano roof wind noise SB 13-24-006
- perform bulletin SB 15-11-002
Sounds like that car should have never been considered for CPO to begin with that sort of repairs needed. No way could they have made any money with that extensive of replacement parts.

Glad they are making things right, but entire situation should not have even happened to begin with. "CPO" program is going on over a year now. Surely enough time to mature in my opinion, but clearly not.

Reactions: davidc18
I can't overstate the importance of being prepared to REFUSE DELIVERY on a CPO. Refuse delivery until they make it right and if it cannot be made right be ready to write off the $1000 deposit, if it comes to that.
If they cannot make it right, you are entitled to that deposit back. Tesla cannot be unjustly enriched by keeping your deposit when they failed to perform their obligation.

If they cannot make it right, you are entitled to that deposit back. Tesla cannot be unjustly enriched by keeping your deposit when they failed to perform their obligation.

It depends on the circumstances. If you are picky and there you don't like the normal wear and tear on the car, you give up the deposit. If it goes beyond normal wear and tear, Tesla would have to take care of it or return the deposit. That's because with a CPO you agree it will have normal wear and tear (in line with its respective age and mileage).

It depends on the circumstances. If you are picky and there you don't like the normal wear and tear on the car, you give up the deposit. If it goes beyond normal wear and tear, Tesla would have to take care of it or return the deposit. That's because with a CPO you agree it will have normal wear and tear (in line with its respective age and mileage).

Right, but the term "CPO" in common use has come to mean cars that are in the top 1/3 of condition for age and mileage BEFORE the refurb/cleaning/whatever starts. It shouldn't take even an hour of inspection to figure out if a car is crap and needs to go to auction and never be a CPO. So, normal wear and tear for a vehicle in Good-Excellent condition. Fair and Poor condition vehicles need not apply.

Hi there,

Oh god, I wish I would have seen this thread before I signed up for my CPO S85. I took delivery on last Saturday and I was so excited, I assumed the 3 months they spent with "refurbishing" (the car was local to Fremont) would have done the job. It was late in the evening, I didn't even inspect the interior of the car. It's dirty.. not just a little, but omg. I have had and sold cars over 90k miles, they were all in better condition. The cover for the B pillar have a hole in it and there is dried up coffee chunks all around, the trunk have dog hair and huge coffee stains in there and I found the previous owner's name tag (he is a doctor), not mentioning the stains all around. I mean.. at least vacuum it properly... But that's just a $100 detailing job, whatever, right?

But accelerating over 65, you start noticing a relatively loud noise and accelerating over 75, a vibration and a really loud noise comes in. So loud that after driving for two hours, my ear hurts. And I'm not even going to mention the squeaking panels, the noisy brake pedal.

Since it was Sunday, I emailed my delivery specialist in a not really friendly manner, since he supposed to "review the conditioning" personally... I hate being lied to. If I can, now I just want my money back, I don't want to go through a months long loaner given journey of misery when I can just by a CPO Mercedes or even a new Porsche Macan for that much money..

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

@ipodor , I am sorry you are going through this. It sounds apparent that the inside of the car indeed wasn't cleaned nor particularly checked. Likely someone noticed it and thought someone else was doing and that other person thought the first was doing it.

I have continued to have problems with my car and have had it in for service multiple times and many more parts replaced since I last updated this thread. However, it has overall been a great experience and I would be open to trading in to an AP 2.0 car if my trade in value wasn't so low.

The only real downside I have right now is Tesla still refuses to disclose the service history on my vehicle. I keep thinking I'll get over it, but it still bothers me after all these months and I still ask about it every 2-3 months!

@ipodor , I am sorry you are going through this. It sounds apparent that the inside of the car indeed wasn't cleaned nor particularly checked. Likely someone noticed it and thought someone else was doing and that other person thought the first was doing it.

I have continued to have problems with my car and have had it in for service multiple times and many more parts replaced since I last updated this thread. However, it has overall been a great experience and I would be open to trading in to an AP 2.0 car if my trade in value wasn't so low.

The only real downside I have right now is Tesla still refuses to disclose the service history on my vehicle. I keep thinking I'll get over it, but it still bothers me after all these months and I still ask about it every 2-3 months!

It's a shame. The car is like magic! :) I calmed down since and I hope I will have it easier. I really want it to work. :)

Got my CPO S60 in June this yr with 52k miles. Since then I've had the AC blowing hot air issue, rear drive unit replaced and vehicle in now for a door handle. Love the car, love the CPO price, love the carpool sticker, hope by the end of the 4 yrs warranty all weak parts have been replaced.

The bathtub curve can't keep falling after 7 years right? Sooner or later it gas to stabilize.

And there is the other CPO experience, where after getting the first round of problems straightened out, I only had problems that are common on low VIN Model S. Otherwise, my car is essentially perfect.

The problem is, that CPO is supposed to be a GUARANTEE that you are getting a 'very good' to 'excellent' example of a 2-3 year old vehicle. CPO is supposed to help the buyer avoid the "crap shoot". And even now 18 months post-inception of the Tesla CPO program, that isn't the case.

Hi there,

Oh god, I wish I would have seen this thread before I signed up for my CPO S85. I took delivery on last Saturday and I was so excited, I assumed the 3 months they spent with "refurbishing" (the car was local to Fremont) would have done the job. It was late in the evening, I didn't even inspect the interior of the car. It's dirty.. not just a little, but omg. I have had and sold cars over 90k miles, they were all in better condition. The cover for the B pillar have a hole in it and there is dried up coffee chunks all around, the trunk have dog hair and huge coffee stains in there and I found the previous owner's name tag (he is a doctor), not mentioning the stains all around. I mean.. at least vacuum it properly... But that's just a $100 detailing job, whatever, right?

But accelerating over 65, you start noticing a relatively loud noise and accelerating over 75, a vibration and a really loud noise comes in. So loud that after driving for two hours, my ear hurts. And I'm not even going to mention the squeaking panels, the noisy brake pedal.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

To update he thread and people who are reading this: I got a few calls from different Tesla personal and everybody seems to be truly surprised and also ashamed a little of the delivery quality. I think this was a one time issue and it's getting fixed as we speak.

Reactions: ModelX and Cyclone