Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 10 years of car seats and the very heavy steel frame Radians, paying for a good covers is a must! All my cars survived without damage because of them. These are by far the thickest ones I've used!
Amazon.com: Car Seat Protector with Thickest Padding - Featuring XL Size (Best Coverage Available), Durable, Waterproof 600D Fabric, PVC Leather Reinforced Corners & 2 Large Pockets for Handy Storage: Baby

I made a post about kids and my Tesla too for other tips:
MS and kids...

Thanks for the link!

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Update: my MS is already in the shop... On my way to get my kids, pouring down rain, the drivers side wiper snaps and stays upright. Had to drive about 12 miles to the service center pouring down rain in rush hour, no wipers. Drove only when the rain would trickle down and rainex would clear the rain for visibility.

SC quickly reviewed, tried to fix it right then, couldn't. Part on order, new MS as a loaner. So for an unfortunate event, at least the want to fix is there. Loaner has AP and parking sensors. But to be honest, my classic actually feels bigger/roomier and way more back window visibility. The new one just feels new. Like a pair of new shoes, crisp and tight, but your fav pair of sneakers fit better but may not be as flashy.

Attachments

• IMG_20170630_172903.jpg
    IMG_20170630_172903.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 77
Small status update:

6/14 - Placed deposit and given the 4-6 week estimate. Brent told me to contact him directly if I don't hear anything after a week
6/14 - Brent connected me with local Columbus DS Scott with a summary of my order
6/18 - Received email from [email protected] stating that my car was In Transit with links to confirm my payment. Forwarded to DS asking if there is anything else I need to do (showing 5/5 on my tesla status for the car).
6/19 - DS got back to me to confirm my payment method. Confirmed the car had arrived at the Indianapolis service center and was being worked on today
6/21 - Received another email from delivery@tesla that said 'We noticed that you still have yet to enter your payment method...'. Forwarded to DS and asked if I needed to do anything.
6/23 - DS wrote back and said everything looks in order for payment. Updated status to say that the car is waiting on a drive motor from Fremont that they decided to replace due to noise. After it is replaced they will ship the car to Columbus.
6/29 - Received an email from Tesla stating that my Final Price Sheet is available and now I have the option to fully pay for the car on the website. Forwarded it to DS in Columbus to see if this meant there was a status update on the car. He did not respond (suspect they are busy with end of quarter squeeze...)

After 10 years of car seats and the very heavy steel frame Radians, paying for a good covers is a must! All my cars survived without damage because of them. These are by far the thickest ones I've used!
Amazon.com: Car Seat Protector with Thickest Padding - Featuring XL Size (Best Coverage Available), Durable, Waterproof 600D Fabric, PVC Leather Reinforced Corners & 2 Large Pockets for Handy Storage: Baby

Awesome, thanks....bought a set for the car. Got family with kids coming into town. This looks much nicer than throwing towels down.

thanks raphy. Being a data nerd, do you have any input/thoughts on your first month of ownership?
Yeah I am busy gathering data on my car from the CANtact. I seem to be getting power within spec, but it is not as powerful as a brand new P85 would have been. Seems that tesla built degradation into their early specs, but for some reason they don't do that anymore. My initial thoughts were that I might be below spec, but I think my butt dyno was spoiled by my previous car. In my MS I get 476hp and 4.1s 0-60. I cannot really complain.

The car is extremely fun to drive. It's so smooth, quiet, and fast, sometimes it feels like you're gliding over the road. I'm looking for excuses all the time. Keep asking my wife if I can go to the store for her. It's so fun to rocket past everyone at all the lights.

I thought I would hate the empty center space, but I really like it. I put my charger adapter in there and hat for when the roof is open. I may buy the evanenex one eventually for comfort on long trips though.

I get free L2 charging at work (14-15mph, so not as good as the nema14-50), so I haven't got around to installing my outlet at home yet. So far have only supercharged twice, just because it's fun and the charger is in the shopping center right near my house. First SC gave 112kw. Next time only got like 52kw, but had 60%SOC already and used a different charger.

The lacewood looks amazing in person. It does not take photos well due to the texture. I was genuinely surprised when I went to pick up the car about how awesome it looks.

sun roof is awesome. blocks the sun when closed, feels like a convertible when opened (I don't miss my last car)!
not an ounce of range anxiety yet. First drive with the car was a 195 mile trip straight out of the SC.

I got the brica seat guardian from babies r us for my 2YO. so far, no indentions. I actually disconnect y=my car seat every day and let the leather breath overnight. I jsut move the car seat with the guardian underneath it over to the next seat. I did put a towel under it to avoid the rubber pads on the seat protector from putting indentions in themselves. overall its about a 30 second process to hook and unhook the car seat, tighten it, and wiggle it to make sure it's secure (I bought this car seat because I knew it would be fast). It feels very secure. Also, he'll be moving to a booster in not to long, so that makes things much easier.

I bought Norm's cubby. I highly recommend it. BEfore, I was having things (work badge, sunglasses) fly all the way into the back seat sometimes when moving away from a light. With the cubby, everything stays planted. I put my sunglasses in their, so it serves as sort of a proxy for a sunglass holder in the car (which I miss from some of my previous cars).

All in all incredible! I don't regret not waiting for a Bolt or a model 3. i 4-5 years I will upgrade and get full AP. My wife is sold on model Y and we don't even know what it is yet. :)

Yeah I am busy gathering data on my car from the CANtact. I seem to be getting power within spec, but it is not as powerful as a brand new P85 would have been. Seems that tesla built degradation into their early specs, but for some reason they don't do that anymore. My initial thoughts were that I might be below spec, but I think my butt dyno was spoiled by my previous car. In my MS I get 476hp and 4.1s 0-60. I cannot really complain.

The car is extremely fun to drive. It's so smooth, quiet, and fast, sometimes it feels like you're gliding over the road. I'm looking for excuses all the time. Keep asking my wife if I can go to the store for her. It's so fun to rocket past everyone at all the lights.

I thought I would hate the empty center space, but I really like it. I put my charger adapter in there and hat for when the roof is open. I may buy the evanenex one eventually for comfort on long trips though.

I get free L2 charging at work (14-15mph, so not as good as the nema14-50), so I haven't got around to installing my outlet at home yet. So far have only supercharged twice, just because it's fun and the charger is in the shopping center right near my house. First SC gave 112kw. Next time only got like 52kw, but had 60%SOC already and used a different charger.

The lacewood looks amazing in person. It does not take photos well due to the texture. I was genuinely surprised when I went to pick up the car about how awesome it looks.

sun roof is awesome. blocks the sun when closed, feels like a convertible when opened (I don't miss my last car)!
not an ounce of range anxiety yet. First drive with the car was a 195 mile trip straight out of the SC.

I got the brica seat guardian from babies r us for my 2YO. so far, no indentions. I actually disconnect y=my car seat every day and let the leather breath overnight. I jsut move the car seat with the guardian underneath it over to the next seat. I did put a towel under it to avoid the rubber pads on the seat protector from putting indentions in themselves. overall its about a 30 second process to hook and unhook the car seat, tighten it, and wiggle it to make sure it's secure (I bought this car seat because I knew it would be fast). It feels very secure. Also, he'll be moving to a booster in not to long, so that makes things much easier.

I bought Norm's cubby. I highly recommend it. BEfore, I was having things (work badge, sunglasses) fly all the way into the back seat sometimes when moving away from a light. With the cubby, everything stays planted. I put my sunglasses in their, so it serves as sort of a proxy for a sunglass holder in the car (which I miss from some of my previous cars).

All in all incredible! I don't regret not waiting for a Bolt or a model 3. i 4-5 years I will upgrade and get full AP. My wife is sold on model Y and we don't even know what it is yet. :)
Great overview. I am a week away from locking up my p85! Can hardly wait. Quick question. Can you explain what the CANtact is exactly? Looks like it is recording your 0-60 times somehow? Thanks in advance for the info!

Reactions: raphy3
TeslaFi is what I've been using for data tracking and its really awesome. Being a data analyst, having that information to look at just because its there is entertaining.

I have a 75D as a loaner and its certainly more efficient than my P85. The average energy use is 50+ Wh/mile less. 21" tires may add to the lower efficiency in mine, and of course classic over new.

The supercharges charge higher at a lower %. Like cell phones with fast charge capabilities.

I'm surprised your stuff falld it of the cubby, and others I've read. Nothing has flown out of mine, but I'm also not doing 0-60 tests which would be different.

With that seat protector, no need to let the leather breathe. I had some of the heaviest car seats made on leather seats and they only left some indents with cheaper protectors. Once u got decent ones no dents, and that brica one i s one of the best. I would gave gotten it if it came in red/black.

Reactions: raphy3
The supercharges charge higher at a lower %. Like cell phones with fast charge capabilities.

I'm surprised your stuff falld it of the cubby, and others I've read. Nothing has flown out of mine, but I'm also not doing 0-60 tests which would be different.

With that seat protector, no need to let the leather breathe. I had some of the heaviest car seats made on leather seats and they only left some indents with cheaper protectors. Once u got decent ones no dents, and that brica one i s one of the best. I would gave gotten it if it came in red/black.
Heck, stuff really consistently flew out of the cubby, probably about 75% of the time, even when I wasn't trying to test 0-60 :p
Just gun it at the next light. Credit card or sunglasses, will probably tumble out.
I was really surprised when my badge ended up in the back seat one time, rofl. My wife claims that she has to use the headrest or it hurts her neck under acceleration, due to her needing to stiffen her neck muscles to avoid having her head thrown back. I never notice this, but i think that's because as the driver you know it's coming.

Great overview. I am a week away from locking up my p85! Can hardly wait. Quick question. Can you explain what the CANtact is exactly? Looks like it is recording your 0-60 times somehow? Thanks in advance for the info!
Sure thing. CANtact connects to the CAN bus. You can read all the data being passed arounf on the bus with one of these. You can also go another route and use a ELM transmitter, like a bluetooth OBD2 reader and use an app called TMspy to read it. I like getting more into the details and understanding things so decided to go the CANtact route and use python to read and decode the data, plotting with matplotlib.
The CANtact is here: CANtact - The Open-Source Car Tool
The info on where to find the CAN bus reader (under the cubby) is here: Exploring the Tesla Model S CAN Bus: 9 Steps

Note that the cantact site links to its github page where you'll find software for capturing. For decoding, I'd be happy to give you my script for the drivetrain. I will add in other CAN IDs later, but for now I am most interested in voltage and current :)
A TMC member here, wk07, has a site where he has published some of the CAN bus decoding. I experimented with some of the suggestions there to find the right decoding. Another member, llavalle is who suggested the CANtact in one of my threads. I had already found the instructable site and read about the CANtact there, so figured if another TMC member endoresed it, it's worth a shot. llavalle sent me a capture script (modified from CANtact) also sent me a C# script with his version of decoding; I took some inspiration from that to make my python version to decode. It was a lot of fun to set up. If you're interested in doing this on windows I can write up a tutorial (also note cantact works in OSX and Linux). Otherwise, there is the bluetooth/wifi + android app route.
cheers!

Sure thing. CANtact connects to the CAN bus. You can read all the data being passed arounf on the bus with one of these. You can also go another route and use a ELM transmitter, like a bluetooth OBD2 reader and use an app called TMspy to read it. I like getting more into the details and understanding things so decided to go the CANtact route and use python to read and decode the data, plotting with matplotlib.
The CANtact is here: CANtact - The Open-Source Car Tool
The info on where to find the CAN bus reader (under the cubby) is here: Exploring the Tesla Model S CAN Bus: 9 Steps

Note that the cantact site links to its github page where you'll find software for capturing. For decoding, I'd be happy to give you my script for the drivetrain. I will add in other CAN IDs later, but for now I am most interested in voltage and current :)
A TMC member here, wk07, has a site where he has published some of the CAN bus decoding. I experimented with some of the suggestions there to find the right decoding. Another member, llavalle is who suggested the CANtact in one of my threads. I had already found the instructable site and read about the CANtact there, so figured if another TMC member endoresed it, it's worth a shot. llavalle sent me a capture script (modified from CANtact) also sent me a C# script with his version of decoding; I took some inspiration from that to make my python version to decode. It was a lot of fun to set up. If you're interested in doing this on windows I can write up a tutorial (also note cantact works in OSX and Linux). Otherwise, there is the bluetooth/wifi + android app route.
cheers!
Thanks for all the detail! Enjoy your car!!!

Question: when you open your charge port and it switches to the blue ready, does it do a very loud "click/clunk"? Almost like flipping a large breaker loud.

The new 2017 loaner I gave is very mild, like a light switch click. Just wondering if its a classic vs new difference of how loud it is.

Question: when you open your charge port and it switches to the blue ready, does it do a very loud "click/clunk"? Almost like flipping a large breaker loud.

The new 2017 loaner I gave is very mild, like a light switch click. Just wondering if its a classic vs new difference of how loud it is.
mine is sort of in between, like a loud light switch, so some might think it's a breaker. I hear the click and I believe it's the lock engaging / disengaing.