Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since others are joining with their timelines, I figured I'd add mine also. I took the CPO plunge after sitting in the sideline for years.

5/19 - ordered CPO (2016 90D, SAS, PUP, pano)
5/19 - heard from CPO Advisor confirming he'd received the order (he and I had already been in contact so we had a cadence established). He gave me the 4-6 week timeline, but since the car is in CA and I'm in GA, said it could be a little longer. I knew this going in, so no surprises.
5/25 - Advisor lets me know the inspection is done in CA and car is ready to send (it only had 5,700 miles so sounds like not much was needed). Said it could be another week or two before it gets loaded on a truck.
5/26 - Advisor texts me pics of car - looks great - and lets me know the car is being loaded the next day (5/27). He cautioned that it is still coming cross country and he's not sure of the route, but the fact that it was only one week from order to being in the truck is pretty great. He still doesn't have the list of what was fixed, though.

And now, as a wise man once said, the waiting is the hardest part.

5/30 - Holy bleep! Just got a text from my advisor that the car arrived in Decatur today! That's 11 days (including two weekends and Memorial Day) from clicking "BUY" on the website to the car traveling 2,100 miles across the country and arriving at the SC here in metro Atlanta. I asked the CPO Advisor if that's a record and he said "sometimes we get lucky."

It still has to go through the local inspection as well, but I need to get the electrician to my house ASAP to install the wall charger. I thought I had weeks to get this done!

5/30 - Holy bleep! Just got a text from my advisor that the car arrived in Decatur today! That's 11 days (including two weekends and Memorial Day) from clicking "BUY" on the website to the car traveling 2,100 miles across the country and arriving at the SC here in metro Atlanta. I asked the CPO Advisor if that's a record and he said "sometimes we get lucky."

It still has to go through the local inspection as well, but I need to get the electrician to my house ASAP to install the wall charger. I thought I had weeks to get this done!

WHOA!!! That's awesome. Congrats!! Not sure if I would ride that good fortune and buy some lottery tickets too :)

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Hello guys, will on 5/18 I too place my deposit down on a gorgeous 2013 P85 practically loaded. I didn't know what to expect but I too got the 4-6 weeks talk. It took a few days to find the car I wanted so actually the process began on 5/16. Communication has gone good, I was sent a loan application on 5/19 via email but I had a bright idea and decided the following week to hand deliver it and ask to see my car.
On 5/26 I drive to Tesla location and put a face to who I was corresponding to via email. After about 15 mins they walked me outside advised me that my car was still in not the condition I would need picking it up but walked me to the parking lot and I got to see my car after 1 week in this process. They tell me once in the process will go quicker but depending on what's needed to do on the car. I know that scrape on the front fender needs fixing and possible new Michelin's Pilot Sports. After catching my breathe and taking one last look I shook hands and said how top see you guys soon.
5/30 I receive an email from Tesla Credit in California with good news that my loan app was accepted (with my trade and alot on money I kinda knew I would be).
So now I guess like all of you guys I must sit and wait and wait for that day p/u my Model S.
Thanks for reading my very long first post on TMC .

I heard from the delivery team today in Decatur as well!! They estimated I would be picking it up on Wednesday.

5/30 17:00EDT - messaged DS regarding how my final payment will look like and for update on when and what refurbishment parts are needed
5/30 18:00EDT - received message from DS that those details will be received after refurbishment completion by an SC an hour away from my pickup SC

Hello guys, will on 5/18 I too place my deposit down on a gorgeous 2013 P85 practically loaded. I didn't know what to expect but I too got the 4-6 weeks talk. It took a few days to find the car I wanted so actually the process began on 5/16. Communication has gone good, I was sent a loan application on 5/19 via email but I had a bright idea and decided the following week to hand deliver it and ask to see my car.
On 5/26 I drive to Tesla location and put a face to who I was corresponding to via email. After about 15 mins they walked me outside advised me that my car was still in not the condition I would need picking it up but walked me to the parking lot and I got to see my car after 1 week in this process. They tell me once in the process will go quicker but depending on what's needed to do on the car. I know that scrape on the front fender needs fixing and possible new Michelin's Pilot Sports. After catching my breathe and taking one last look I shook hands and said how top see you guys soon.
5/30 I receive an email from Tesla Credit in California with good news that my loan app was accepted (with my trade and alot on money I kinda knew I would be).
So now I guess like all of you guys I must sit and wait and wait for that day p/u my Model S.
Thanks for reading my very long first post on TMC .

Wow, congrats! So you found a car that was at your local SC? As for the refurbishment going quickly, it's conditioned by it depends, but mine has been in refurbishment for 3 weeks now since I received initial notification from my DS.

Congrats. We ordered ours on May 12 and even though we chose local car to expedite the process, they haven't been able to get it in to do the inspection @ Dedham service center. I've kept asking for updates from the CPO and delivery contacts but so far no new news. Really need the extra car now that kids getting out of school and starting summer jobs.

Wow, good to hear about people finding stuff at their local SC. That should really cut some time down. Let's see some pics of people's "new" Tesla's when they take delivery!
Good to know the CPO experience is going well for lots of people!

I picked one that was listed as being in LA and live about 30 mins from the Fremont factory. I placed the order on 5/15 and they have had the car there for a while now, but are still quoting 8-11 weeks for delivery. The car is sitting in a parking lot in Fremont right now. While I guess there is some added benefit to getting it serviced at the factory, not sure it is worth an extra 4-5 weeks, since others appear to be getting theirs in closer to the 4-6 weeks I was originally quoted. From talking to the SA, it sounds like they are just way over capacity in Fremont right now.

I even offered to go do to LA to pick it up, but that wasn't an option for whatever reason. Fortunately I was able to extend the lease on my current car and outside of not having HOV access, I am not too upset about it.

Congrats. We ordered ours on May 12 and even though we chose local car to expedite the process, they haven't been able to get it in to do the inspection @ Dedham service center. I've kept asking for updates from the CPO and delivery contacts but so far no new news. Really need the extra car now that kids getting out of school and starting summer jobs.

What did tell you for a delivery timeline? Considering you placed your order 3 days before me, it wouldn't surprise me if you are on a similar timeline, which would be late July to early August.

Reactions: raphy3
I picked one that was listed as being in LA and live about 30 mins from the Fremont factory. I placed the order on 5/15 and they have had the car there for a while now, but are still quoting 8-11 weeks for delivery. The car is sitting in a parking lot in Fremont right now. While I guess there is some added benefit to getting it serviced at the factory, not sure it is worth an extra 4-5 weeks, since others appear to be getting theirs in closer to the 4-6 weeks I was originally quoted. From talking to the SA, it sounds like they are just way over capacity in Fremont right now.

I even offered to go do to LA to pick it up, but that wasn't an option for whatever reason. Fortunately I was able to extend the lease on my current car and outside of not having HOV access, I am not too upset about it.

Wonder if it's the ramp and tooling for the M3 and all hands on deck at the factory. But wow...8-11 week estimate. Not sure if I could be that patient.

I got an update that my delivery is at least a couple weeks out. It was delivered to my local shop a couple weeks ago. Couple aesthetic fixes apparently.

I see it as we go though Tesla's CPO for the warranty and reconditioning so your car is almost brand new as used can be, so the time it takes for that is understandable. You pay for it essentially. We just aren't used to waiting to buy a cad once you decide.

I'm one of the most impatient people. I research things for ages, but once my mind is made it I want to do it right then. So this is new for me.

I more worry about the loan application expiring. I don't want to run my credit again. I would have waited had I known it had a deadline (I was told no at first from my CU)

I got an update that my delivery is at least a couple weeks out. It was delivered to my local shop a couple weeks ago. Couple aesthetic fixes apparently.

I see it as we go though Tesla's CPO for the warranty and reconditioning so your car is almost brand new as used can be, so the time it takes for that is understandable. You pay for it essentially. We just aren't used to waiting to buy a cad once you decide.

I'm one of the most impatient people. I research things for ages, but once my mind is made it I want to do it right then. So this is new for me.

I more worry about the loan application expiring. I don't want to run my credit again. I would have waited had I known it had a deadline (I was told no at first from my CU)

I had worried about the loan expiring as well. I know for sure my car has been into Tesla since early this week to begin this CPO process but other than that no clue. I filled out all my trade forms and sent all kinds of pictures of my car so hopefully that helps at the end to get me into my S soon. I don't know how I'm going to do it just waiting for some kind of contact that's it's ready.

My Sales Rep specifically told me to hold off on applying for financing cause it would only be good for 30 days and the wasn't in the expected delivery window.

My car is at the Factory and has been since before or slightly after I purchased it. They apparently started working on it this week, but still looking at the same timeline.