Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery update and copied from my other post in the Sig thread: Ordered 6/6, Delivered 7/12 - I just picked up the 2012 Signature p85 and the condition was 10/10, even the advisors were surprised by the condition of the car. The DA stated a few items were addressed proactively prior to delivery by the service team: new drive unit, new rims, new 2 rear tires, new AC pump, and refurbished battery. The car drives amazing and super quiet, even more so then the new Mx which I had an overnight test drive. The acceleration is scary fast, I'm in love!

View attachment 235382
Wow, new DU and newish battery, that is a major score. It's like getting a used ICE with a brand new motor and transmission.

6/14 - Placed deposit and given the 4-6 week estimate. Brent told me to contact him directly if I don't hear anything after a week
6/14 - Brent connected me with local Columbus DS Scott with a summary of my order
6/18 - Received email from [email protected] stating that my car was In Transit with links to confirm my payment. Forwarded to DS asking if there is anything else I need to do (showing 5/5 on my tesla status for the car).
6/19 - DS got back to me to confirm my payment method. Confirmed the car had arrived at the Indianapolis service center and was being worked on today
6/21 - Received another email from delivery@tesla that said 'We noticed that you still have yet to enter your payment method...'. Forwarded to DS and asked if I needed to do anything.
6/23 - DS wrote back and said everything looks in order for payment. Updated status to say that the car is waiting on a drive motor from Fremont that they decided to replace due to noise. After it is replaced they will ship the car to Columbus.
6/29 - Received an email from Tesla stating that my Final Price Sheet is available and now I have the option to fully pay for the car on the website. Forwarded it to DS in Columbus to see if this meant there was a status update on the car. He did not respond (suspect they are busy with end of quarter squeeze...)
7/7 - DS contacted me to say that the car had completed the CPO inspection process and was ready to be shipped to Columbus from Indianapolis. He said this can take up to a week.

Still nothing on the shipment. News the car was finished with the inspection got my hopes up... was really hoping to get lucky this week and see the car in Columbus early in the week but now I'm just hoping 1 week doesn't turn into 2 weeks. Still no report on what was fixed on the car and still no pictures

Spoke to our DS (Carlos) yesterday who confirmed with the Dallas SC we should be good to go for delivery late the week of the 24th. We are hoping that pans out as we have to be in Dallas the 28-30th for a wedding and picking up the 28th would work out perfectly.

If delivery ends up being the 28th, that would be exactly 6 weeks from purchase date. (6-8 week estimate originally given)

So far both our SA (Derek - Fremont) and DS (Carlos - Utah) have been very responsive (and helpful). High remarks and recommendations for both.

I am scheduled to pickup my 85S at the Dallas SC the week of the 24th. Almost 6 weeks since the process started for a CPO out of Milford CT. Carlos is my DS.

Reactions: s00nr1
image.png
7/3 ordered CPO P85
7/5 got email ,said 6-8 weeks.
Started on my things to do on MyTesla page.
Got 4/4 items done.
Now MyTesla page is asking for payment.
Doing insurance quotes now. State Farm, whom I been with for almost 40 years wanted $1500/year.
Looking at Geico and Progressive.
7/13 - update
Received update today, car is in Houston getting refreshed. DS said he will let me know next week on timeline. I went with Progressive insurance as they were the cheapest. I also liked the way they treated my daughter when she totaled her Pruis. They gave her a check four days later. Great service.
Getting terrible excited!
7/14-update
I asked Brent if I can get some pictures of my car in Houston. He sent me five pictures and a blank copy of the CPO inspection form. It's quite a list of things they check. Hopefully not too many things will be needed to be addressed so I can get my car in a few weeks.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Got a question regarding insurance

I ordered last Monday (10th) & got 5/6 of the items completed. The only one that I haven't done yet was insurance.

My thought is that, I don't want to get insurance setup on a car I don't own yet. I was going to wait until I get more updates on the car's progress; none yet.

Does that make sense?

Got a question regarding insurance

I ordered last Monday (10th) & got 5/6 of the items completed. The only one that I haven't done yet was insurance.

My thought is that, I don't want to get insurance setup on a car I don't own yet. I was going to wait until I get more updates on the car's progress; none yet.

Does that make sense?

This confused me also. What they are asking for is a copy of your current insurance card. This is to show I guess that you can get insurance.

You don't have to supply anything for that until the day of pick up. You can add your current so it doesn't show outstanding but it doesn't make a difference. Once you have your firm date of pick up, the morning off, add the card to your insurance, then remove your trade if you are trading what you drove up there.

7-15 got a text from my CPO guy saying they are working on the car for repairs. Would not say what they are or show any photos..
Also said they are working on better communication between the sales guys and the repair shop and should have that sorted out in a week. Which would be the end of my 6th week waiting.

Hello everyone! Been following this thread for awhile and though I would contribute. I am jumping in and getting a Tesla! I made the decision on the 1st of July and below has been my experience thus far. I was happy to see how quickly the sales adviser reached out via email the same date (late at night) and then with a phone call the next day (their day off). Remainder of our conversation has been via email.

7/1 : Deposit placed for S85
7/1 : Received automated "Let's complete your order" email
7/1 : Received automated "Thank you for your order" email with PDFs attached
7/1 : Received email from sales adviser. Email indicated they would call the next day (Sunday) and that I should hold of on financing
7/1 : Responded to sales adviser indicating I looked forward to the call the next day and that the PDF sent via automated email had the incorrect price listed.
7/2 : Sales adiviser called. Discussed the following: 4-6 weeks for delivery of car is expected, ask was prior to Aug 10th (5.5 weeks); Discussed incorrect price listed in PDF, Sales advisor will enter a request in the system to resolve descrepency; Process: 200+ point inspection, Week 1/2: nothing will occur, Week 3/4: Inspection completed along with any service items, Week 5/6: Cosmetic issues address, End of Week 6: Delivery; Completion of items on Tesla website; Q&A Session
7/2 : Received email from sales adviser. Email replicated much of the phone conversation. Email documented the ask for delivery prior to Aug 10th. "Tesla Post Order Packet PDF" attached
7/7 : Sent an email to Sales adviser - Asked if the Inspection Report can be sent when complete; Asked if pictures of car could be sent; Asked if the car has 3G or LTE; Other misc questions
7/7 : Received automated email that SA is OOO until 7/11
7/11 : Sent an email to SA with an additional question - how long the delivery would take?
7/11 : Received emails from SA - Inspection report will be provided at delivery as it will not be completed until then; Will inquire with SC to take pictures but after the car is back from vendors (it's already at a vendor?!?!); 3G not LTE (can install LTE prior to delivery for ~$500)
7/14 : Sent an email to SA - Provided a response on 3G vs LTE; Inquired on the status of the car, price adjustment and pictures

Work with an insurance agent or two. They get your deals you can't yourself sometimes and the service is free to the consumer.

Had Allstate. They asked for like $1700 /yr. What???
Checked several, got esurance who is owned by Allstate :rolleyes:, who offered 850/yr. Lol

I'll try that later this year when it comes due time. 850/year for a P MS....that's amazing.