Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting call/update on my CPO process
Quick recap (since I hadn't done one earlier)

07/10 : Placed CPO order ($40K; 60 with 42K miles; 19" Black with Tan Interior; Smart Suspension & Tech)
Got the usual emails and such -- Given 6-8 weeks timeline
07/14 : Finished 6/6 tasks on MyTesla and got financing approved. (Actually had it approved the prior week but I made a mistake on a call and had to get it again)
Got CarFax and was surprised that it was registered in Florida (Tesla showed it as being in San Francisco). Email exchanged confirmed the location and the fact that it was in the process of being shipped to California for restoration.

As with some of the people here, communication has been spotty and I was getting worried/anxious every day that passed -- since my financing was good until the 28th.

Last night, due to a post that I read on TMC (I believe), I started looking on Autotrader and saw a couple of cars listed by Tesla (Fremont and another California location). One of them was for $ 38,400, but had no details listed. I decided to take a chance and see what it had (knowing that it was, at the very least, a 60).

After getting an email this morning saying that the car wasn't available anymore, I got a call from Yolanda around 1pm. Not only was the car still available and at Fremont, it would just need to have transportation arranged to Vegas with the team here to do the detailing. After talking to her and talking to the wife (always important), I switched my reservation over... and was able to have the $1K deposit moved as well.

So now, I should be getting a 2013 60 with 60K miles; 21" Grey with Black Interior; Standard Suspension; Panoramic Roof, Tech Package, Sound Studio and Dual Chargers... for $ 1,600 less. Wow...

Had an interesting call/update on my CPO process
Quick recap (since I hadn't done one earlier)

07/10 : Placed CPO order ($40K; 60 with 42K miles; 19" Black with Tan Interior; Smart Suspension & Tech)
Got the usual emails and such -- Given 6-8 weeks timeline
07/14 : Finished 6/6 tasks on MyTesla and got financing approved. (Actually had it approved the prior week but I made a mistake on a call and had to get it again)
Got CarFax and was surprised that it was registered in Florida (Tesla showed it as being in San Francisco). Email exchanged confirmed the location and the fact that it was in the process of being shipped to California for restoration.

As with some of the people here, communication has been spotty and I was getting worried/anxious every day that passed -- since my financing was good until the 28th.

Last night, due to a post that I read on TMC (I believe), I started looking on Autotrader and saw a couple of cars listed by Tesla (Fremont and another California location). One of them was for $ 38,400, but had no details listed. I decided to take a chance and see what it had (knowing that it was, at the very least, a 60).

After getting an email this morning saying that the car wasn't available anymore, I got a call from Yolanda around 1pm. Not only was the car still available and at Fremont, it would just need to have transportation arranged to Vegas with the team here to do the detailing. After talking to her and talking to the wife (always important), I switched my reservation over... and was able to have the $1K deposit moved as well.

So now, I should be getting a 2013 60 with 60K miles; 21" Grey with Black Interior; Standard Suspension; Panoramic Roof, Tech Package, Sound Studio and Dual Chargers... for $ 1,600 less. Wow...

How wasn't the conversation to get your deposit moved over? I was told when I inquired about switching to a new order that I would forfeit my $1000 and have to put down $2500 again. I know in reading on the forums, Tesla doesn't seem to be consistent with this policy. Thanks for your insight.

G

6/15 - Placed deposit
6/15 - Was told to expect a 4-6 week time frame
6/29 - Was informed car was "assigned shipping"
7/12 - Ended my Nissan lease and was met by Tesla with my loaner, a Hertz rental :(
7/12 - Was able to see my car in on the lot. Interior looked nice but could use an exterior detail job.
7/27 - Got voice mail that they don't have my Hertz paperwork and need me to sign another agreement.
8/2 - Called to get an update as an email I sent about status had not been replied to. Was informed my car is scheduled to go into the body shop next week. This sucks. I heard that last week. I was also told cars are usually at the body shop for two weeks which means I'm still three weeks out from delivery. I inquired again about a Tesla loaner and was informed there are none.
8/7 - Got a call today. The car is ready! Guess the info about the body shop was wrong. I scheduled a pickup for Wednesday night.
8/8 - Wondered how I could wait another day so I called and rescheduled pickup for later in the day. I ran around like crazy trying to get insurance and financing straightened out. I was able to pick it up at 5 that day.

Car looks real good for 50k miles and 4 years old but not "New". While inspecting I noticed 3 dings in it. Service called and scheduled me to bring it in next week for them to pop out.

I've been loving the drive into work. So nice to not have to move the foot from gas to break all the time. Never knew how much I hated it until I didn't have to do it anymore.

I'll be writing another impressions and questions post most likely.

Attachments

• IMG_20170808_180846.jpg
    IMG_20170808_180846.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: SmartElectric
How wasn't the conversation to get your deposit moved over? I was told when I inquired about switching to a new order that I would forfeit my $1000 and have to put down $2500 again. I know in reading on the forums, Tesla doesn't seem to be consistent with this policy. Thanks for your insight.

G

It was basically
Me: "If I did decide to select this car ... would I be able to move the deposit from the current CPO reservation or.."
Her (CPO Advisor): "I can move the deposit for you to this car." or "I can make it happen" ... something along those lines.

Since it was $ 1,600 less, I was actually a bit ok if I had lose and redeposit the money -- so it was definitely a surprise. Basically, just ask ... what's the worse that can be said? I think that, since they can get a sale now versus potentially losing a sale (if I lost the financing), it might have helped.

7/20 Met SA in Buena Park CA to validate search and place a deposit. Deposit made and "Congratulations email" received
- This car is already at the Buena Park service center so I am hoping this will expedite my process
7/24 Asked SA to keep me in to loop and asked if I could purchase any add on's as part of the transaction
- SA responded same day and said he would keep me in the loop, but did not answer question regarding accessories etc.
7/25 I requested photos and SA quickly responded with the photos of the cosmetic issues with the car
7/27 Just waiting
7/28 "Quick update for you – your Model S has been submitted to quality inspection with our service managers. It looks very likely that we will be able to schedule your Model S in the next 7-10 days.
8/3 Your Model S is in final quality control inspection now. As soon as it’s finished (and assuming it passes QC for workmanship), we’ll be able to put a delivery date on your calendar! It doesn’t look like it will be any sooner than next Tuesday (8/8)
8/7 Your Model S is still in queue for QC. The manager who oversees all QC-approvals (typically at end of the day) does work M-F, so I am optimistic to have your inspection completed soon for a delivery this week assuming a passing report! Rest assured, we will be in touch just as soon as it passes
8/9 All team are aligned to make this happen for you. If the car passes final quality checks in time, are you able to come for delivery in Buena Park this Fri. at 1pm, or 3pm - Delivery Appointment Set for 8/11 at 1:00PM!

8/11 Took delivery! I found a couple of trim pieces that were not up to par and one wheel was damaged post-refurb. They have the trim parts on order for me and the replaced the wheel with a brand new one on the spot! (Of course I took the car immediately to getyourwheels and replaced them with something more personalized)

Could not be happier with the experience and am a very happy P85 owner!!!

Mytesla.05.jpg

8/11 Took delivery! I found a couple of trim pieces that were not up to par and one wheel was damaged post-refurb. They have the trim parts on order for me and the replaced the wheel with a brand new one on the spot! (Of course I took the car immediately to getyourwheels and replaced them with something more personalized)

View attachment 241117

Beautiful car! I have a similar color coming (I hope!) Is that metallic grey?

Also, side questions to all who took delivery -- specifically the P85+ folks... What tires came with your car?

View attachment 241117

It's success stories like this that give me hope. I'm 6 weeks in and the silence from my DS is deafening!

7/2 Ordered CPO S70D, got the canned email.
7/5 Got a call from my CPO Advisor with an email to go over the process, answer any questions, etc etc.
7/10 Got a canned email from the DS that I should complete my financing and insurance info so they could lock in a delivery date. Emailed back asking where the car was.
7/11 The DS actually emailed back and said the car is still in Florida and that it typically takes them 2 weeks to arrange and ship a car.
7/24 Email the CPO Advisor asking for an update.
7/25 CPO Advisor actually emails back. The car is now at the Raleigh SC for inspection and reconditioning! Will be available for delivery "as early as Saturday, August 12th" Which to me says, it probably wont be the 12th.
8/8 - Got a call from my DS. My car will be ready for delivery Saturday the 12th, 3pm pick up scheduled!
8/14 - Delivered! Car looked more or less pristine to these eyes. So about 6.5 weeks all said.

Minor things with the delivery. They got my payment details confuddled, and required a few phone calls. But it was sorted.
Driver side seat belt buckle was twisted around. Like the belt was pinched, and they un-pinched it the wrong way or something. They fixed that.

It seems the drivers seat is rubbing against the center console, because I hear squeaking as I shift my weight. I'll ask them to look into that.

Otherwise, I could not be happier. So pleased!

IMG_20170812_120029.jpg IMG_20170812_120047.jpg IMG_20170812_120132.jpg IMG_20170812_154352.jpg IMG_20170812_160231.jpg

Reactions: Don TLR
7/5 Got a call from my CPO Advisor with an email to go over the process, answer any questions, etc etc.
7/10 Got a canned email from the DS that I should complete my financing and insurance info so they could lock in a delivery date. Emailed back asking where the car was.
7/11 The DS actually emailed back and said the car is still in Florida and that it typically takes them 2 weeks to arrange and ship a car.
7/25 CPO Advisor actually emails back. The car is now at the Raleigh SC for inspection and reconditioning! Will be available for delivery "as early as Saturday, August 12th" Which to me says, it probably wont be the 12th.
8/8 - Got a call from my DS. My car will be ready for delivery Saturday the 12th, 3pm pick up scheduled!
8/14 - Delivered! Car looked more or less pristine to these eyes. So about 6.5 weeks all said.

Minor things with the delivery. They got my payment details confuddled, and required a few phone calls. But it was sorted.
Driver side seat belt buckle was twisted around. Like the belt was pinched, and they un-pinched it the wrong way or something. They fixed that.

It seems the drivers seat is rubbing against the center console, because I hear squeaking as I shift my weight. I'll ask them to look into that.

View attachment 241228 View attachment 241229 View attachment 241230 View attachment 241231 View attachment 241232

View attachment 241117

Both are beautiful...Congrats ya'll. Enjoy!!

Reactions: DireOtter

View attachment 241228 View attachment 241229 View attachment 241230 View attachment 241231 View attachment 241232

That is a beautiful car! I love hearing success stories while waiting for my CPO.

6/15 - Placed deposit
6/15 - Was told to expect a 4-6 week time frame
6/29 - Was informed car was "assigned shipping"
7/12 - Ended my Nissan lease and was met by Tesla with my loaner, a Hertz rental :(
7/12 - Was able to see my car in on the lot. Interior looked nice but could use an exterior detail job.
7/27 - Got voice mail that they don't have my Hertz paperwork and need me to sign another agreement.
8/2 - Called to get an update as an email I sent about status had not been replied to. Was informed my car is scheduled to go into the body shop next week. This sucks. I heard that last week. I was also told cars are usually at the body shop for two weeks which means I'm still three weeks out from delivery. I inquired again about a Tesla loaner and was informed there are none.
8/7 - Got a call today. The car is ready! Guess the info about the body shop was wrong. I scheduled a pickup for Wednesday night.
8/8 - Wondered how I could wait another day so I called and rescheduled pickup for later in the day. I ran around like crazy trying to get insurance and financing straightened out. I was able to pick it up at 5 that day.

Car looks real good for 50k miles and 4 years old but not "New". While inspecting I noticed 3 dings in it. Service called and scheduled me to bring it in next week for them to pop out.

I've been loving the drive into work. So nice to not have to move the foot from gas to break all the time. Never knew how much I hated it until I didn't have to do it anymore.

I'll be writing another impressions and questions post most likely.
Was this a solid black or the metallic black? Looks pretty nice!

I have a DATE!!! Wait...no, not that kind of date, my wife won't let me go on dates anymore!
I have a date to pick up my car!! I won't itemize each event, mainly because I'm not that meticulous, but also because I'm lazy!
But after about a week of confusion on both my and Tesla website part, on
7/8 I got my deposit transferred to my preferred car.
8/17/ at 11:30 I'll get to pick it up.
It still doesn't quite feel real and I probably won't get too excited until I'm just moments away from the Tesla center! It seems to be all coming together now!

Today 8/8 after another week of silence, reached out to CPO Rep. and DS. only the CPO rep responded ... now telling me "mid august delivery" will not firm up a date range or specific day!! will not give me any information as to what progress if any has / has not been made... Aside from the car arriving in Tempe I don't know any more now than I did on 6/29 when I made the deposit!! While I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with the car when I FINALLY get to see / drive it. That said, I would not wish the CPO buying experience on my worst enemy.

It's not the waiting that is an issue as that is known going in. It is the lack of communication, transparency and information that would allow a buyer to see a path forward that is most frustrating IMHO.

Fast forward to today. Another week of Silence. Delivery window is supposed to open up tomorrow email DS and CPO rep. 4 days ago.....,..... no response from either , nothing, zilch, don't know whether the car even still exists at this point. This is by far the worst car buying experience I've ever had in my entire life. Guess I won't bad mouth franchise dealers so much anymore for all of their faults it certainly is far easier to get a car from them then it is to try to buy one directly from Tesla

No kidding,, I was waffling on getting an inventory car just to speed it up as I promised the wife I'm taking her to SD for her birthday in a Tesla at the end of September.. I'm mailed the CPO rep and Zero, Zilch, not a word back but its only been 18 days so I'm not too amped up yet, for another month at least..

Expectations of the purchase experience

Lol!! Much like you I have been thinking that I'd just get a new inventory car and have also been pursing the CPO site off and on but if the above link tells us anything it is that the experience is not much different even when buying inventory cars and or new production.

I'm in for a penny in for a pound "so to speak" so I guess I've no choice but to stick it out until EVENTUALLY!! I get my CPO Model S
I've given up on getting any meaningful communication from my DS and CPO rep.

I sure hope the after purchase servicing of the car at my "sortof" local service center will be better than the purchasing experience.

This has been a long time coming, but here we go!
6/22 - Placed deposit a MS60 with AP1, $50,500
6/23 - Got a call from CPO Adviser, estimate is 8-10 weeks out due to June firesale
6/24 - Received first auto-email with instructions for mytesla account
6/29 - Tried to swap to a MS85 with AP1 for only a few thousand more, someone else grabbed it before we could complete the swap. Rats!
7/6 - Emailed my CPO advisor on availability of any other ms85 as the website dried up in July, no word back
7/10 - Emailed again as follow up, advisor emails back to notify that no other inventory exists at the moment. I also asked for pictures, but told non-exist :(
7/24 - No update for a few weeks and email again to check status. Sent back a message saying my car is being inspected (sweet!) and that is awaiting parts (no confirmation on what parts though were ordered). Still no estimate on delivery.
8/7 - No status since 7/24 so emailed again. Got a few pictures of the car being serviced (it actually exists), and told we're awaiting parts and final inspection. Told to get the financing process started.
8/11 - Ring, Ring! It's my delivery specialist I finally get to talk to and guess what, the car is done! Car is ready to be picked up as early as 8/14, but unfortunately due to work/personal travel schedule I can't get it until 8/21. boooo!!! After reading this on other threads, it does seem like the universally successful, surefire way to speed up delivery on a CPO is to travel somewhere for a few days. Items that were replaced included wheels and windshield, with some dent repair. Inspection report though won't be made available until I pickup.

I'm also still waiting to hear back on if the the car actually does have free supercharging included. This was one of two cars, total, listed on the CPO site that DIDNT have Free Supercharging listed as a feature. I've asked my CPO advisor and delivery specialist to confirm that it is included, which they both confirmed, but no one seems to know what to do after that (and I want the cars profile updated to reflect as much). Hoping we get that resolved before pickup. Cant wait!