Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered on 7-23 then switched to an unlisted in 7-25.
Received I received the car8-31
The car was in great condition and could pass as new interior. The exterior was 9/10 with one flaw on the roof panel I saw earlier that was circled a few weeks earlier but was ignored until I pointed out it still wasn't fixed. It was added to Due Bill and parts will be ordered. Hard to believe the car has 34K miles.
The Tempe team did a great job explaining everything and happy to have the car in my hands now.

Ok..whats up! are you enjoying your model s ? Did you take the long way home!! lol! Cannnot get over the fact that i am posting this from my car... lol !!

Taking delivery in Denver on Thursday morning! I did run in to some confusion around New York registration process. They had to switch me to self-registration since NY requires them to have an inspection completed. After some rounds of e-mail it seems to have been sorted. Hopefully they have the temporary plates on there when I show up. I have to wait for them to send me the title after the fact which is also a little concerning, but I've come this far...

Delivered! Car was in beautiful shape for having 46k miles, nicely detailed in and out. They did call me the day before and said the wheels had curb rash and it would be taken care of later. It did have four brand new Michelins though! Delivery team was friendly, got a nice walk through of the features, I did have to press to have the wheels noted on the due bill. Other than that the paint was really nice except for a few rock chips and one scratch below the door. Interior was very clean with the only wear being on the armrest. Took me 2.5 days to drive home across a dozen or so superchargers. The highway ride, autopilot and supercharger stops make for a very enjoyable road trip! I will say the car handles like a tank compare to my light and nimble i3, but the extra space is needed for my family.

20170901_141524.jpg
20170831_171300.jpg

5/1981 - Ever since I was born I wanted a Tesla
08/29 - Applied for Tesla Finance to see what rate I would qualify for
8/29 - Same day response - got a call from SA asking what Car I wanted. I told him the most I was willing to spend and gave the specifics of what I wanted - he found a car that was sort of close and used that as a benchmark
8/30 - got a rate from finance for 2.24% with loan amount up to $48,8000. Perfect
8/30 - 9/2 - SA sent me links to CPOs, many that weren't listed on the website
9/3 - reserved a 2014 Tesla S60 - Pearl White, $37k miles, Black Performance Seats, Carbon Fiber Decor, UHFS, SAS, 19 Inch Cyclone Wheels, Panoramic Roof.
9/3 - got the automated emails, email from sales rep, completed the tasks on the My Tesla site
9/3 - SA calls 30 minutes later and congratulates me on my purchase. Email says 3-4 weeks for delivery but he guesstimates 1-2 weeks since it's local and doesn't have that much work needed
9/4 - waiting...

Reactions: tccartier
8/29 - Same day response - got a call from SA asking what Car I wanted. I told him the most I was willing to spend and gave the specifics of what I wanted - he found a car that was sort of close and used that as a benchmark
8/30 - got a rate from finance for 2.24% with loan amount up to $48,8000. Perfect
9/3 - reserved a 2014 Tesla S60 - Pearl White, $37k miles, Black Performance Seats, Carbon Fiber Decor, UHFS, SAS, 19 Inch Cyclone Wheels, Panoramic Roof.
9/3 - got the automated emails, email from sales rep, completed the tasks on the My Tesla site
9/3 - SA calls 30 minutes later and congratulates me on my purchase. Email says 3-4 weeks for delivery but he guesstimates 1-2 weeks since it's local and doesn't have that much work needed
9/4 - waiting...

Oops, replace SA with CPO Advisor. Getting acronyms mixed up lol

9/4 - waiting...

Be prepared not to want to drive anything else. These cars make everything else seem obsolete. Hopefully they'll hit their timeline but from what I've seen there are few of those experiences most windup waiting longer than planned for reasons that are never clearly explained to them took me 8 weeks from deposit to delivery with minimal communication that wasn't initiated by me until the very end about two days before delivery my phone and email blew up and it kind of seemed as if I was rushed through the process on delivery day going to try to pick up those pieces shortly when I get back in touch with the service center again. Welcome to the party

Ok..whats up! are you enjoying your model s ? Did you take the long way home!! lol! Cannnot get over the fact that i am posting this from my car... lol !!
Hahaha
Yes its so dang nice and it was hard leaving it in the garage this weekend while taking the jeep camping. I was thinking of ways to get out and drive it yesterday..
Have you driven it up the mountain and back down to check regenerative miles? I like that road and hauled the mail up and down that road on my motorcycle a few times,, yeehaa..

Hahaha
Yes its so dang nice and it was hard leaving it in the garage this weekend while taking the jeep camping. I was thinking of ways to get out and drive it yesterday..
Have you driven it up the mountain and back down to check regenerative miles? I like that road and hauled the mail up and down that road on my motorcycle a few times,, yeehaa..
Are you talking about Mount Graham? We had a huge fire up there that burn up most of the mountain over the last month or so that mountain was on fire for about 5 weeks most of the road up there is still closed so I haven't had a chance to get up there yet. But I've certainly been driving everywhere else drove 70 miles a few days ago just to try my mobile connector in a different 14-50 Outlet :)

I had actually considered leasing a new model S prior to this purchase so glad I didn't because there's no way I'm going to be able to limit my miles to 12000 miles per year not as much fun and as inexpensive as this thing is to drive and fuel.

My only concerns are going forward when I fall out of all warranty coverage for this vehicle which is only a short two years away then I'll be truly headed into uncharted waters with technology that very few have taken outside of warranty in Daily service.

In the meantime wherever you're going start earlier and take the long way that's what I've been doing:)

8-1: Selected car and deposit placed
8-21: Inquired on whereabouts of car. Was told the car was not in their possession, it was taken as a loaner, would get it back in a week. (was never informed this was a possible situation but ok).
8-21 to 8-28: Waiting patiently
8-27: Inquired on whereabouts of car again, advisor states they still don't have it, should have it in another week.
9-5: Inquired on whereabouts of car again, advisor states they still don't have it, advisor suggested looking for another similar car. No similar car available for the same price. Tesla states nothing can be done for us but continue to wait.
9-5 .....??: Continue waiting patiently while more miles are added to the car?

Summary thus far. 5 weeks since deposit and someone else is driving the car and nobody knows when they will return it. Tesla tells us nothing to do but continue waiting.

9/4 - waiting...
9/6 - got a text from my CPO advisor letting me know that there is no reconditioning needed according to the Quality Manager. Should be ready for pickup in Burbank, CA next week!

Picked up my P5XXX Model S 85 yesterday. Beautiful car in great condition. Flew into Newark and pickup was in Paramus, NJ. Leaving Tesla at 12:30p, I drove down to NC immediately. The walk through was excellent and the two DS working that morning were very helpful - the walk through was extensive without being excessive and I left feeling like I could operate everything I needed to during my >500mi drive back through Mid-Atlantic rush hour and some substantial rain.

The car had new tires, wheels, wipers and had had a motor unit and MCU replacement recently. One scratch/dent that was noticeable, but small enough to pass the Tesla CPO - I'm fine with it and won't lose any sleep over minor cosmetic quibbles. The car performed flawlessly. Acceleration, handling, and steering were amazing and I was very comfortable the entire time. The Tesla App and Slacker Radio accounts were active by the time I passed Washington, DC. 3 Supercharging stops (Newark, DE; Woodbridge, VA; South Hill, VA) were all smooth and uneventful. The car has a "B" battery pack, and charging mostly proceeded very quickly, though it was slower at South Hill. It actually felt good to stop and take my time every few hours to refresh, rather than just keep pushing on. Probably a big reason I could come into work this morning.

While the entire process from Reservation to Delivery took 9.5 weeks; I found everyone at Tesla to be helpful, knowledgeable, and very friendly. Excited to finally be part of the EV and Tesla families.

Attachments

• IMG_20170906_105322293_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170906_105322293_HDR.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 61
Does anyone know when the referral information shows up in mytesla? I've had the car for a couple weeks now and the referral section is still missing.

Not sure but I do know that the referral section showed up on my "My Tesla" page immediately upon placing the deposit "which was eight weeks before I actually took delivery"

9/4 - waiting...
9/6 - got a text from my CPO advisor letting me know that there is no reconditioning needed according to the Quality Manager. Should be ready for pickup in Burbank, CA next week!

Update:

9/8 - Got a call from DS and car will be ready for pickup on Wednesday next week in Burbank! That was pretty quick! Great news is that it comes with LTE so that saves my $500 :)