Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the last month or so I've been reading though this forum preparing for my own delivery of a CPO model S. Some of you had good luck, while others... not so much. I wanted to share my experience, to help others gage what they can expect. For reasons I'll explain I feel I got on pretty well!

On June 13th I placed an order for a CPO model S with the following specs:

85 kWh Performance
Blue Metallic Paint
All glass Panoramic Roof
21" silver turbine wheels
Tan Performance Leather seats
Obeche wood gloss Decor
White Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Red Tesla Brake Calipers
Free supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Smart Air suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Premium Interior Lighting
Performance Plus

57xxx miles

Total $59000

Other than not having the cold weather package its perfect, but I live in ohio, so I can deal without.

It took until the following saturday for the Tesla CPO adviser to call me. I asked about getting pictures, and where I can pick it up (the car was located in Florida). They said it wouldn't be a problem to pick it up in florida and save the $2000 they wanted to ship it. I told them I needed to make sure but I would let them know. Also they quoted me 6 to 8 weeks from the day I pulled the trigger

Literally the next day I send an email to confirm that I would like to pick up the car in florida, and to reiterate that I would like photos of the car.

Several weeks of nothing... Until! The columbus service center calls me to introduce themselves and to let me know that they will be the ones they'll work with when the car gets to columbus. WOAH! I told my service guy I did NOT want the car shipped right then and there, and then immediately called my CPO adviser to tell her the same thing. No answer, but I did get an email back confirming I didn't want it shipped.

I was worried but I kept waiting. I would try to call every week or so just to touch base. most times I wouldn't get any response from either a voicemail or email. I just assume they are slammed and if they have nothing to tell me they dont have the time. Still, it was a little un-nerving.

Finally, July 17th I get a voicemail from the columbus service center, telling me my car has arrived, has been detailed, and is ready for pickup... WHAT?! I called back immediately and asked "what the heck". The guy on the other end was awesome! I explained to him what I was hoping to see, and he delivered. He said while the car had been shipped, nobody had charged my account, and he intended to keep it that way. WIN!

So awesome! I didn't have to travel to go get it, and I didn't have to pay shipping! I scheduled my delivery for thursday the 20th. That means from clicking buy to actually receiving the car it was 37 days! Pretty great I'd say.

So thursday comes. I pick up the car. Over all it was in great shape! I wasn't able to get a copy, but they guy did tell me what needed to be done to mine to get it in shape. The list is as follows:

All new tires
2 Brand New wheels (others were almost perfect)
New Pads AND Rotors on all 4 corners
Brand new Drive Unit!!!
Brand new MCU!!!
New sunroof and rails
Some New door trim

All allegedly totaling around $17k

So there were 3 small issues with the car that I did still want to be addressed.

First, the front corners of the hood did not line up well near the nose cone. (like a whole finger can fit under there)
there is a small but noticeable dent in the leading edge of the bottom of the bumper ( like bellow the radiator openings)
The charge port had a good crack in it.

I got a due bill for all of these, and was told they would all be fixed one way or another. They also mentioned that to fix the hood the car would likely need a whole new one... fingers crossed, because there are some small rock chips in this one that aren't big enough to fit their criteria.

Of course, The car is everything I dreamed it would be. It is truly an amazing vehicle! Consider me a proud owner!

Over all on the experience of buying I would say 9/10. I would have appreciated a little more communication, but the fact that I didn't have to pay for shipping more than makes up for any of that! And of course the dudes at the columbus service center delivered a phenomenal car!

Attachments

• 20170722_143302.jpg
    20170722_143302.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 118