Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO Play By Play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that many people are curious to how the new non-refurbished CPO process is going, so I thought that I would create a thread documenting my experience. I know that a few other people are doing this as well, so I guess the more data points the better!

Back in 2015, right around when Model 3 was announced, I knew that I wanted to buy some sort of EV. The Tesla Model S was my dream car...I treated myself to a rental from Turo every year for my birthday, but the price was way out of reach. The Model 3 was going to be my first EV purchase, but I know that Tesla has had issued delivering cars when promised, so I made the guess back then that I wasn't going to be able to get my hands on one until late 2018, early 2019. Turns out that I was right, since I didn't want a $55k model.

Because I wanted to get out of the crappy Prius that I was driving at the time, I started looking at the 2016 Chevy Volt. It was a great compromise between using battery for most days, and using gas when you need it on long trips. I have had the Volt since late 2015. 31,750 miles driven, and over 29,500 miles were all electric.

Fast forward to 2018, and my family has grown. I have a toddler now with a ginormous car seat, strollers, diaper bags, etc. The Volt, especially with the lack of a real middle seat was getting very tight on space. My brother picked up his Model 3 and drove it down to San Diego. We put all of our baby stuff in there, and although it fit quite a bit better than the Volt, we decided that it was just too small for a family car, and we need to figure out a way to make the Model S work.

Since January of this year, I've been lurking on the classifieds section here, tesla.com/used, and ev-cpo.com. The CPO prices were absolutely insane. I probably started looking for a Tesla at the absolute worst time ever because the CPO prices were insanely inflated for some reason. I was focusing my search on S60 models to save money and because I even made a 53 mile battery work for me for 3 years. I had my heart set on autopilot, but these were going for high 40s, low 50s.

Last Wednesday, April 25th, I got an alert from ev-cpo that tons of cars just hit the site. They even had an S60 with autopilot for 45k, but it was located in Seattle. In the time that it took me to talk to my wife about me leaving for 3 days to drive a car from Seattle to San Diego, it had already sold. We had a long talk that night, and we both agreed that if I could find one for 45k or under, just buy it and we will figure it out. She did mention that although we could afford a 45k car, it was probably not the most financially responsible decision to buy one, but she was on board.

Later that night, I got another ev-cpo alert for a 2013 S60 that was priced at $30k!! I took a look at the specs of the car and realized that for the price difference, I could certainly live without Autopilot. I put my credit card down, but it looks like I was minutes too late as somebody else had snagged it. Again, we had a talk about what happens if another one comes along, and we agreed that it would be a better financial decision if we could find one in the $35k range.

That next day, I was eating lunch at my desk, and I get the ev-cpo alert. 2013 S60, 83,000 miles with Tech Package, Pano Roof, Smart Air, Ultra High Fidelity Audio, Supercharing, 17k left on bumper to bumper and up to 125k miles in battery/motor. $35,500! I thought about it for all about 90 seconds, double checked the car's page to make sure that I wasn't missing anything, and put my credit card down for the $1,000 deposit. Success, it went through!

I immediately called my CPO advisor that I had been working with, and he was in disbelief when I told him the price. I think the price sounded about right for the mileage and the year, so maybe he was trying to make me feel better about the purchase. I asked him if he had any more information about the car, and he told me that he would find out and get back to me. Later that day, he sent me pictures of the car (attached).

Continued in next post...

image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg image004.jpg image005.jpg image006.jpg image007.jpg

On Friday, 4/27, I asked my CPO advisor where the car was located. He couldn't tell me, but he said "somewhere in California". I asked when I could expect delivery, and he said "hopefully next week".

We then started talking about financing and trade-in. I applied for financing on Tesla's site, and they set me up with TD Bank at 3.75% for 60 months. I did some research on my own, and given the age of the vehicle and term, I might be able to do .1 or .2% better at a credit union, but not enough difference for the hassle.

When I asked about trading in my Volt, I gave him all of the information from my car, and he told me that Tesla would give me $19,300 for the car. I had gone to the Chevrolet dealer earlier in the week for a buy back appraisal, and they quoted me $18,000. I thought that I'd take the week that I'm waiting for delivery to try and sell it private party, so I posted on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and a Chevy EV Buy/Sell group on Facebook.

On Monday, 4/30, I decided to get a quote from vroom.com. The process was extremely easy, they asked for all the vehicle information, and they asked to upload specific pictures of the car from multiple angles. The very next day, I got a quote for $21,000. I told my CPO advisor that I wouldn't be trading in my car to them, I'd be selling to vroom. He asked me to forward the quote to him, and then emailed me back telling me that Tesla will match the Vroom offer. Awesome!

While on the phone with him, I asked if he had an update for delivery time, and he said that the car was in San Jose and was getting the windshield replaced. The order was sent to transfer the car to San Diego, so it all depends on when there is a truck that's going down here with space.

Great info!!! Viewing the pics from my phone... the car looks pretty good for 83K miles! Hopefully the interior is in good shape as well. Check that headliner. :)
Also, having the windshield replaced is also another good data point for those that assumed Tesla is just going to sell cars literally As-Is.
Congrats and keep the updates coming!

Congrats on finding your MS.....I, too purchased a CPO MS and i have a few tips for you that i overlooked when i took delivery. I hope these will help you.

1. Its a used car...there will be blemishes (now what Tesla considers acceptable and what you consider acceptable are 2 different things)
2. Look at the paint carefully when its time for delivery, mine had a lot of hard water spots, as well as dried up wax from the supposed 'detail' that they had done prior to delivery.
3. The molding around your pano roof (Make sure its not cracking and not hard, if it is....point it out and make sure they have that addressed)
4. Interior pieces are considered 'wear and tear' but if you're nice to them and point some worn pieces, they will replace them.
5. Contain your excitement and make sure you look at every exterior panel of the car and make sure they all line up.

I'm sure you will have your list as well, but these are what i missed when i couldn't contain my excitement taking delivery.

Reactions: EVChris
Congrats on finding your MS.....I, too purchased a CPO MS and i have a few tips for you that i overlooked when i took delivery. I hope these will help you.

1. Its a used car...there will be blemishes (now what Tesla considers acceptable and what you consider acceptable are 2 different things)
2. Look at the paint carefully when its time for delivery, mine had a lot of hard water spots, as well as dried up wax from the supposed 'detail' that they had done prior to delivery.
3. The molding around your pano roof (Make sure its not cracking and not hard, if it is....point it out and make sure they have that addressed)
4. Interior pieces are considered 'wear and tear' but if you're nice to them and point some worn pieces, they will replace them.
5. Contain your excitement and make sure you look at every exterior panel of the car and make sure they all line up.

I'm sure you will have your list as well, but these are what i missed when i couldn't contain my excitement taking delivery.

Great tips...thank you very much!

UPDATE 5/1 - I got a call from my delivery advisor. She said that they were still waiting for the windshield to arrive and there is going to be a delay, so they would most likely not be delivering it this week. I asked how big the crack is, and if small, I suggested that they ship it down as is and repair it in San Diego when it arrives. She told me they could most likely do that and let me know.

The best case scenario is that the crack is small so I could take delivery and drive around my new car while we wait for a windshield to be delivered. I work about 2.5 miles from the service center in San Diego, so dropping it off for a morning is no big deal, and if they give me a P100D loaner in the meantime, I won't complain!

Reactions: mongo
UPDATE 5/1 - I got a call from my delivery advisor. She said that they were still waiting for the windshield to arrive and there is going to be a delay, so they would most likely not be delivering it this week. I asked how big the crack is, and if small, I suggested that they ship it down as is and repair it in San Diego when it arrives. She told me they could most likely do that and let me know.

The best case scenario is that the crack is small so I could take delivery and drive around my new car while we wait for a windshield to be delivered. I work about 2.5 miles from the service center in San Diego, so dropping it off for a morning is no big deal, and if they give me a P100D loaner in the meantime, I won't complain!
Spoken like me before i took delivery....i was like 'I dont care.....just give me the car' :)

Now you will want to do chrome delete and put some 21" wheels on there....just wait....hahaha.

As I said in the CPO thread -- CONGRATS!! what a great story and fantastic deal.

This should be a lesson to future CPO buyers -- be fully committed to buy a CPO long before the actual car pops up. And when it does, do not hesitate! Because there are lots and lots of other people looking and hesitating.

Thank you very much! And yes...if there is a great deal out there, you can't hesitate, even for 5 minutes. You have to know what you want and what price you are willing to pay. Once it comes up, you have to move immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
UPDATE - 5/2 - I've been communicating with my delivery advisor regarding the shipping of the car and the cracked windshield. She told me that the crack was severe, and they will not allow me to accept delivery of the car and have it fixed later because it's a safety issue. Because I know it can take several days to receive parts, I requested that they start the transfer of the car from the Bay Area to San Diego, and in the meantime have the windshield shipped to the San Diego service center. Hopefully that will save me a few days of waiting.

So I guess the windshield replacement isn't really a "refurbishment", it's a safety concern that needed to be addressed. Attached are the pictures of the crack that she sent me.
22711.jpeg22709.jpeg

UPDATE - 5/3 - Unfortunately there are no updates yet. It's been exactly 7 days since I put my $1,000 deposit down, and far as I'm aware, the car has not moved from the lot in Fremont, and the windshield has not been replaced. I've heard from my sales advisor and my delivery advisor letting me know that they put in the move order as well as the windshield replacement order, but neither of those have taken place.

I understand that it can take some days to coordinate the transportation of a vehicle since you need to wait for a truck going in that direction to be completely full. What I don't understand is how Tesla lists a car on their site that needed work like this. It seems counterproductive to list a car knowing that they can't sell it right away, especially since they just moved to this new "non-refurbished" process.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
UPDATE - 5/3 - Unfortunately there are no updates yet. It's been exactly 7 days since I put my $1,000 deposit down, and far as I'm aware, the car has not moved from the lot in Fremont, and the windshield has not been replaced. I've heard from my sales advisor and my delivery advisor letting me know that they put in the move order as well as the windshield replacement order, but neither of those have taken place.

I understand that it can take some days to coordinate the transportation of a vehicle since you need to wait for a truck going in that direction to be completely full. What I don't understand is how Tesla lists a car on their site that needed work like this. It seems counterproductive to list a car knowing that they can't sell it right away, especially since they just moved to this new "non-refurbished" process.
7 days? thats nothing.......be prepared to wait at least 30 maybe more.....to get everything sorted out.

if i had to guess, they probably just do a quick mechanical check and take quick photos when they get these cars than dump them into a parking lot until someone places a deposit.

Reactions: rjdoc74
UDPATE 5/4 - I heard back from my delivery advisor. The new windshield has already been delivered to the San Diego service center. The car is scheduled for transport and delivery on Wednesday, 5/9 next week. I'm assuming that they are waiting for a truck going South to be filled up since it doesn't take 8-9 days to ship a car 500 miles. Excited that things seem to finally be happening!