Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO Play By Play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE - 5/15 - No news on the windshield yet, but yesterday was the first day that I drove it to work. My company installed two J1772 Clipper Creek chargers when we moved into our new building last year in big part to my influence when I drove a Chevy Volt. The chargers are right outside our main entrance, so everybody walks past them to get into the building.

I get into the office pretty early (7am), and later in the morning I got a call from my receptionist. She asked if the Tesla was mine since we talked about me getting one a few weeks ago. I told her that it was mine, and after congratulating me she told me that almost every person that came in the morning asked her "Who's Tesla is that?" She asked me if she could tell them that it's mine, and I told her that was ok.

Over the course of the day yesterday, without exaggeration no less than a dozen of my coworkers came up to my cube asking to talk about the car. People get new cars here all the time, but none have gathered attention like the Tesla does. One of my coworkers that drives an Audi E-Tron asked if I was able to claim the federal and state tax credits on the car. I told him that you can't get the credit on a used car. He almost didn't believe me when I told him that it was a used car with almost 84,000 miles on it. Everybody that I told was shocked that the car looked so good for being 5 years old and that many miles.

The next question that came up was price. For some it's a sensitive subject, but I don't mind sharing the great deal that I got. When I told them the price, again they didn't believe me. I explained that I searched for a deal like this for nearly 6 months, paid for a membership to ev-cpo.com for alerts, and I bought the car in less than 90 seconds from seeing the email without seeing a single picture of the car. I also explained that according to ev-cpo, this was the 16th cheapest Tesla CPO that they have ever sold. One of my coworkers is a Model 3 reservation holder, and he is seriously considering going the CPO route after seeing my car.

The "Tesla Effect" is no doubt a real thing. This car gets so much more attention than any other out there. Of course I didn't buy the car for status, bragging, or anybody else except myself, but I did love talking with my coworkers about the features, the environmental factors, and the overall coolness of the car. So far I'm loving being part of the Tesla family.

UPDATE - 5/15 - No news on the windshield yet, but yesterday was the first day that I drove it to work. My company installed two J1772 Clipper Creek chargers when we moved into our new building last year in big part to my influence when I drove a Chevy Volt. The chargers are right outside our main entrance, so everybody walks past them to get into the building.

I get into the office pretty early (7am), and later in the morning I got a call from my receptionist. She asked if the Tesla was mine since we talked about me getting one a few weeks ago. I told her that it was mine, and after congratulating me she told me that almost every person that came in the morning asked her "Who's Tesla is that?" She asked me if she could tell them that it's mine, and I told her that was ok.

Over the course of the day yesterday, without exaggeration no less than a dozen of my coworkers came up to my cube asking to talk about the car. People get new cars here all the time, but none have gathered attention like the Tesla does. One of my coworkers that drives an Audi E-Tron asked if I was able to claim the federal and state tax credits on the car. I told him that you can't get the credit on a used car. He almost didn't believe me when I told him that it was a used car with almost 84,000 miles on it. Everybody that I told was shocked that the car looked so good for being 5 years old and that many miles.

The next question that came up was price. For some it's a sensitive subject, but I don't mind sharing the great deal that I got. When I told them the price, again they didn't believe me. I explained that I searched for a deal like this for nearly 6 months, paid for a membership to ev-cpo.com for alerts, and I bought the car in less than 90 seconds from seeing the email without seeing a single picture of the car. I also explained that according to ev-cpo, this was the 16th cheapest Tesla CPO that they have ever sold. One of my coworkers is a Model 3 reservation holder, and he is seriously considering going the CPO route after seeing my car.

The "Tesla Effect" is no doubt a real thing. This car gets so much more attention than any other out there. Of course I didn't buy the car for status, bragging, or anybody else except myself, but I did love talking with my coworkers about the features, the environmental factors, and the overall coolness of the car. So far I'm loving being part of the Tesla family.

So awesome hearing stories like this......Enjoy your tesla in good health and please try to contain your grin when you drive it :)

I finally got around to testing the battery range with a 100% charge. Seems that I'm at about an 11% loss for 84,000 miles. That doesn't seem to bad to me.

Bonus pictures of my charging setup at the office.

IMG_0125.png

IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0124.jpg

first post here...

I joined specifically bc of the change in CPO.
Very happy/relieved to see that Noah82's experience was/is positive.
Gives me confidence in pushing the BUY button once I find one with my specs.

Noah I am also in SD - do you mind telling me who you dealt with at Tesla here in SD?
Seems like whoever it is, you got a good contact.
Feel free to send me private message if that info is not to be posted on these forums.

Thanks - looking forward to learning lots and hopefully being an owner soon enough!

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
congrats! btw, that windshield crack looks like a stress fracture due to manufacturing defect that many first gen Model S cars have encountered, including my 2012 CPO. Many people have had that issue, and for the most part the service centers have fixed it free under warranty. You can tell because there's no sign of of a rock or road debris hitting the windshield, it basically "cracked on it's own."

Also since you only have 17k left on the warranty, make sure you play with the car as much as possible and get everything fixed ASAP. It took me around 10 visits before my car had no more problems. Just remember after warranty expires, expensive repairs will start to make that 35k seem like less of a deal. So fix as much as you can when it's still free!

What can you do to stress the car and cause warranty failures?

Hard acceleration, hard braking, at every suspension setting... Drive on cobblestone streets, air con on max heat and max cooling etc.

What else?

Reminds me of many faults on ICE cars that were similar. Sometimes the manufacturer does an extended warranty, but otherwise it's up to the owner to keep driving up steep hills in 3rd until the gearbox dies...

UPDATE - 5/25 - I didn't write an update at the beginning of the week, but the delivery service coordinator called me on Monday saying that the windshield had arrived. He told me that it was going to take a day, so he would drive out a loaner to me and pick up my car.

He arrived at my office in a beautiful 2015 P85D loaner. I went over the list with him of things that were outstanding from delivery such as a 2nd key, front license plate holder, outstanding recalls, and most importantly an issue where a red air suspension light came on.

He called me the next day saying that there is a leak in the air suspension that is preventing it from fully raising the car. On one hand I am glad that it's failing now under warranty, however I'm wondering why this wasn't caught on their comprehensive mechanical inspection. Apparently the part needed to be ordered, and we are waiting for delivery.

It is now Friday, so I am assuming that the part will not arrive before the weekend, so it looks like I'll have to enjoy the P85D for the long Memorial Day weekend! Damn I love autopilot!

8ggMqs3SThGaDcM81EQahw.jpg

I took my CPO P85 in on a Friday morning due to whine coming from the drive unit and left with a P85D. Awesome, they will replace the drive unit; I'll have this thing for several days! Well, 3:30 rolled around and what? How could my car be ready already? I asked if I could return it on Saturday since it would be difficult to get to the SC by closing time. I had it overnight for just over 24 hours.

I did enjoy telling people that I had my motor replaced under warranty and done in less than 7 hours!

Reactions: Don TLR and Fiver
Awesome to hear you had a decent experience! I just put a deposit down on a very well priced 85D on Monday and already got pictures of it yesterday! Communication from my advisor has been amazing. I should get it next week.

Congrats on the awesome deal and a great car.

Reactions: Fiver
For anyone monitoring this thread who may be considering a CPO, or was turned off with Tesla's change in used vehicle policy, consider what I did.

I started my search in earnest (I had been watching for over a year at that point) in mid-2016. Unfortunately, I just missed a purge and rash of great deals. Tesla had pushed out a bunch of inventory to close 2Q2016. In July, prices for Tesla CPOs skyrocketed. I almost gave up hope. I decided to consider an alternate strategy.

I, like many of you subscribed to Hank's EV-CPO.com tool. For 3rd party listings that included CARFAX reports, I began cross-referencing VINs against Hank's database (subscribed to the listing history database). If I found a hit, I would check the date of the 2nd owner (likely the CPO purchase date) to get an estimate of the remaining bumper-to-bumper warranty. This required additional legwork, but it paid off.

I found my P85 ("Twyla") in Dallas where my brother lived. He and his wife looked it over, made sure nothing was about to fall off and he helped execute the purchase. He and his son drove it to me in Nashville and I flew them back to Dallas - far cheaper than a transport and far riskier than unseen sale. And the grinning started...

There are many CPO Model S's out there that have plenty of warranty left on them. I suggest you give this approach consideration.

Good luck!