Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO Process so far.. with questions..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lurked on the Tesla site and EV-CPO.com for over a month checking out trends, prices, and just looking for the best deal on a P85 or 85D.

Requested pictures on maybe 8-10 cars over the course of a few weeks once I felt comfortable with which cars were good deals.

I requested a callback on several cars... maybe 3-4. I NEVER received a call back from anyone but did get an email from my assigned sales rep with the typical FAQ, warranty info, etc. That was a great initial email that did help answer some questions but when I tried getting answers to additional questions I never got an email back at all. Made several attempts to reach my sales rep, no luck. I tried calling Tesla and usually got someone in the New car area that eventually transferred me around to various areas (and states). I was able to get some good information from a guy named Todd in the Las Vegas store who said he would fwd my questions to the used sales staff including managers and they would have the sales rep or someone reach out to me to answer my questions. Of course I never heard from anyone at all. So I called my local Tesla dealership. They sell new cars and not used but they did try and find some answers for me but mainly said the sales rep I've been assigned should be my first contact. I explained my sales rep has yet to return any phone calls or emails about anything and was just trying to find answers without having to rely on him. The questions I had did not get answered until after the cars I wanted to buy were sold.

Some of the questions I was trying to get answered were:
What happens if I'm out of town during my delivery date, how long will they hold the car? (Sounds like it depends on how nice your local dealership/delivery center is)
If I fly out to pick up the car to avoid the transport fee but at delivery inspection I find things that need fixing, can they be noted and fixed at my local Tesla dealership? Or do I have to leave the car, fly home, and fly back out when everything is fixed and I have a new pick-up date? (never found out the answer to this one?)
What is the average delivery time to receiving the car from time of deposit being put down? (looks like this could vary between 4 days and 8 weeks or more)
Most other questions I got answers to from the forum, thanks. :)

The time finally came that I saw the price drop on the car I wanted enough to click on the "Buy" button and enter my $2500 deposit. I figured I had enough info gathered from this forum and the local sales center to proceed. I understood the process for the most part, realized my deposit was on-refundable, and studied the crappy pictures over and over looking for any issues at all. Paid my deposit with credit card as I had my fingers crossed.

As I write this it's Tuesday. I purchased last Friday first thing in the morning. I immediately got the purchase confirmation and the 6 steps that I needed to complete. I completed everything ASAP and got a response from the finance guy saying I was approved on Friday also. Wow, I thought this is moving quickly. the only step not completed was delivery. It said "incomplete" and "A Sales Advisor will contact you to arrange your vehicle pick-up." And of course my sales advisor is the same guy I never received any email or callback from throughout the process so far. :-(

So how long should I wait to hear from my Sales rep before I get worried? I guess I'm a little pessimistic because for a month now I've emailed questions and made calls and he's never responded. now I have to rely on him to arrange my shipping. If I don't hear from him who else can I call/email?

Delivery: Vehicles are available at the nearest local delivery center from where they are stored and are required to be picked up within 7 days of ordering, otherwise the order may be forfeited. If you order a vehicle outside of your local region, there is a flat transport rate of $2,000 to move the vehicle to your nearest delivery center.

They don't fix anything cosmetic. And you can't take delivery if there's an issue you want fixed. You have to go back home and pick it up when it's ready again. If they agree to fix anything.

3-4 weeks average.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
Delivery: Vehicles are available at the nearest local delivery center from where they are stored and are required to be picked up within 7 days of ordering, otherwise the order may be forfeited. If you order a vehicle outside of your local region, there is a flat transport rate of $2,000 to move the vehicle to your nearest delivery center.

They don't fix anything cosmetic. And you can't take delivery if there's an issue you want fixed. You have to go back home and pick it up when it's ready again. If they agree to fix anything.

3-4 weeks average.

Yep, I read that. My question is once I fly to pick up, and for example notice that the turn signal stalk is broken and Tesla and I agreed that it is covered and should be fixed.... do I have to wait for it to be fixed in Chicago, or can it be noted that it needs fixing and I still drive it home to Raleigh where they fix it at my local Dealer? Or does it have to be fixed in Chicago and I have to wait there hours or possibly days before I can pick it up to drive home?

Yep, I read that. My question is once I fly to pick up, and for example notice that the turn signal stalk is broken and Tesla and I agreed that it is covered and should be fixed.... do I have to wait for it to be fixed in Chicago, or can it be noted that it needs fixing and I still drive it home to Raleigh where they fix it at my local Dealer? Or does it have to be fixed in Chicago and I have to wait there hours or possibly days before I can pick it up to drive home?

You can't drive away unless its fixed. They don't want the liability of any other issues while you're in possession of the car.

They can, however, ship it to your local dealer and fix it there.

You can't drive away unless its fixed. They don't want the liability of any other issues while you're in possession of the car.

That's what I was thinking. I put down to have it shipped. Figured it would be easier to deal with it locally when it arrives than to keep flying out to get it and check it over.

I’m pretty sure they can create a due bill for it to be fixed at any dealer. I had a few items on my 85D I bought used from Tesla that I ended up getting due bills for and had repaired at a later date as the vehicle was delivered to my residence. Probably a question worth asking your delivery agent just to make sure.

Shipping is flat rate of $2000 no matter the destination, non-negotiable.

Heard from delivery agent a little bit ago... I have to give a decision on pickup or delivery... think I'm leaning towards delivery. He said he would check into me getting a "due bill" of any items to fix but not certain they can do that yet.

I just bought my second MS. The first was a 2016 that I ordered. The OA talked to me constantly through email, text and voice all the way up through delivery. Just ordered an inventory call 10 days ago. I can not get DS to respond unless I go over his head. If this had been my first experience I might cancel the order. Because of my previous experience with my 2016 S I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Originally they said I would take delivery last Saturday Now they are saying this Friday maybe
I can't get Tesla to return paperwork to my bank or give me a final price.

Bottom line I can relate to your frustration. I would try and speak with your advisors supervisor

I live in Los Angeles and bought a CPO in Fremont. I flew to San Jose, and they "delivered" the car to a local starbucks for me, no charge. Flight was $200 and the drive home took about 8 hours (stopped to charge twice).

I did have 2 issues, one worked itself out on the drive home (no LTE) and the second was a missing second key fob. They released the car to me without fixing those things and my delivery rep put notes into my file for when I schedule a SC visit locally in LA. I feel like they would release the car to you unless you find an issue that would potentially cause an accident. But if that were the case it probably wouldn't have passed inspection to be sold ...

Anything that is a known issue that goes beyond normal wear and tear should be able to be fixed (e.g. condensation in the tail lamps). It seems that different delivery centers handle cars differently. In my case once the car was on site, I was asked to provide 40 hours of advanced-notice before pickup so they could get the car ready for delivery.

Anything that is a known issue that goes beyond normal wear and tear should be able to be fixed (e.g. condensation in the tail lamps). It seems that different delivery centers handle cars differently. In my case once the car was on site, I was asked to provide 40 hours of advanced-notice before pickup so they could get the car ready for delivery.

So far my local Service Center has been the most helpful. My Tesla CPO sales rep only contacted me after I emailed the Finance center back after several days and asked if they could give me any information on how to get the delivery process started. First and only time I've talked to my sales rep at all. Hoping in a few more days they may can provide me an ETA for delivery....

So far my local Service Center has been the most helpful. My Tesla CPO sales rep only contacted me after I emailed the Finance center back after several days and asked if they could give me any information on how to get the delivery process started. First and only time I've talked to my sales rep at all. Hoping in a few more days they may can provide me an ETA for delivery....

When I first placed my order, I got an email from my sales rep (automated form letter I am sure) telling me that he was the point of contact. I sent him questions and got no response. I tried to call and leave him messages but his voicemail was full. I was convinced he was just some made up identity created by Tesla.

A few days later he actually called me (which shocked me) to go over purchase details and pass my info to the delivery advisor. Never did address any of the questions I asked :)

While my overall delivery went well, I think they really should try to improve this initial communication.