Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO story - a long and winding journey to Tesla ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I began looking for a used Tesla back in August of last year. I have a friend with two model S, and riding in his helped me decide what I was looking for. I was looking to pay $45k or less, and therefore expecting that I would likely end up with a 2014 or older.

Unfortunately, my requirements were pretty specific. I wanted either brown metallic or red, a textile interior (don't like the feel of leather), sunroof, tech package (if a car made when the tech package still existed), and preferably subzero package. The textile interior seems to have only been on about 5% of the cars, estimating based on EV-CPO archived listings. The subzero package was on maybe 20%. To give you a sense of how much those two requirements narrow the playing field, EV-CPO shows 7,847 cars in the archived listings. Of those, only 47 had textile seats and subzero package. Two of them are brown (one with no sunroof), and both well out of my price range. 12 of them are red.

So, by being very picky, my search dragged on for quite a while.

About 5 weeks ago roughly, a 2015 70D popped up on EV-CPO that fit my exact requirements - red, textile, subzero, sunroof. At $50,700, it was a bit above the price range that my wife had agreed to. But, with only 38k miles, it came with a 4 year/50k mile warranty, all wheel drive, and was a year newer than the best I had been hoping for (actually based on the VIN it's from the end of 2015).

Before I could get wife-approval, it was gone.

A few days later, in a thread about CPOs, a list member posted that he had just put down a deposit on this exact car. He seemed perhaps not sure that it was what he was looking for, so I sent him a message saying that if he decided to not buy it, to please let me know. After 10 days or so, I hadn't heard anything, so I figured he was probably enjoying his new Tesla.

But then I got a message from him saying he had turned it down due to cosmetic defects. I quickly got some pictures from the OA (conveniently, I live in the neighboring state as the original buyer, so the car had already been delivered to the nearest service center, and I was already communicating with the OA in the region), and decided that the cosmetic defects weren't enough to keep me from buying it, so I put down a deposit before it went back up online.

It has some scraping on the rear bumper, but after some thorough polishing, it's only noticeable when you are up close. I may have the bumper resprayed at some point, but for now it's not significant enough for me to bother. I'll post pictures of the car later.

The actual process of getting my car went surprisingly quick. It took about a week from the time I put my deposit down until it was delivered to my driveway. Most of that intervening time was spent with me securing a loan, going down to visit/inspect the car, etc..

I still need to get a list of what (if any) items were fixed or replaced during the mechanical refurb process. Overall the car seems to have been well care for, with the exception of the scrapes on the rear bumper.

Now I get to return my leased Nissan Leaf, and I've been enjoying tooling around in my shiny new Tesla the last few days. :) Since they couldn't get the title to me in time for me to register it before the memorial day weekend, the OA gave me temporary paper license plates from Virginia that I could use in the meantime. Massachusetts (where the car was) doesn't do temporary plates, which makes things a hassle. But they worked around it nicely.

Yup, I got to inspect the car before signing for the full amount. Here are the pictures that Tesla originally sent (I think the original buyer may not have received the photos of the rear scrape or a slight dent in the black plastic at the bottom of the front of the car):

I also want to mention that I am extremely grateful to the original buyer for giving me the heads-up that he was not buying the car after all, since that let me swoop in and buy it before it went back up online. I'm not mentioning his name since I don't know if he wants me to or not, but he really helped me out, since this car is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Attachments

• side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
  • another.jpeg
    another.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 108
  • front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Tesla_rear.JPG
    Tesla_rear.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 104
  • tesla rear scrapes 2.jpeg
    tesla rear scrapes 2.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 108
  • tesla rear scrapes.jpg
    tesla rear scrapes.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 105
  • tesla front bump.jpeg
    tesla front bump.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 106
  • tesla interior.jpeg
    tesla interior.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: HankLloydRight
When I inspected the car I only took these two photos. I'll find time soon to take a new photo of the rear scrapes. The OA said that in the past they would have completely repainted that part, but now they just reduce the price instead. I've had a really good body shop in the area do some repainting several times, and think they would probably charge $250-500 to repaint that. Considering how hard it was to find what I was looking for, I'm ok with that.

The little dent in the black plastic thing at the front is something that I haven't even noticed myself yet when looking at the car - I've only seen it in the picture they sent me.

The interior is almost spotless. In one of the cupholders there is a slight bit of residue from perhaps a drop or two of dried soda/coffee, but otherwise the interior seems perfect.

Attachments

• AtCenter2.jpg
    AtCenter2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
  • AtCenter.jpg
    AtCenter.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 109
Here's a question that I've been wondering about:

My car doesn't have the tech package, because it was built after the tech package was eliminated, with some of the options becoming standard, and the rest thrown into the premium interior package (power liftgate, chrome accents by fog lights and lower rear, etc.). Mine doesn't have the premium package according to Tesla, but it does have the power liftgate and those chrome accents. The OA said the power liftgate became standard in late 2015. Did any other elements of the premium package? I was surprised that mine has the chrome accents that I thought required the premium package.

Here's a question that I've been wondering about:

My car doesn't have the tech package, because it was built after the tech package was eliminated, with some of the options becoming standard, and the rest thrown into the premium interior package (power liftgate, chrome accents by fog lights and lower rear, etc.). Mine doesn't have the premium package according to Tesla, but it does have the power liftgate and those chrome accents. The OA said the power liftgate became standard in late 2015. Did any other elements of the premium package? I was surprised that mine has the chrome accents that I thought required the premium package.

Everything should be available on the 'Options List' on ev-cpo.com. Since it was listed there, you should be able to find your VIN in the archived listings. Other things that were included in the Tech package include power folding mirrors, parking sensors, Homelink, Navigation (made standard a long time ago). From what you describe, it sounds like you have all the tech package and PUP options. Perhaps your car was caught in a transition period between the two.

Decoding the VIN won't tell you anything about the options packages.

Based on the VIN number (in the 87,000 range) it is from around July of 2015, which is after the tech package disappeared.

In scanning the forums and google, I found a post from back in April of 2015 when someone was listing items that Tesla says are included in the premium package which were previously in the tech package:

"1) Power Liftgate - was previously in the tech package.
2) Lighted door handles - Not sure what package they were in before but I have the lighted door handles and did not order the premium package.
3) LED fog and cornering lamps - Have those too without ordering the premium package
4) LED interior accent lighting - This is the only thing I can see that is in the package that was there before."

(other people then added that it also includes the ill-defined "better fit and finish refinements" or something like that).

My car definitely has the first two, and I'm pretty sure the third one also. Don't know if the interior lighting it has is the LED interior accdent lighting, since I don't have another one to compare it to.

What I'm trying to figure out is if perhaps mine does in fact have the premium package, or if just some of these items that were part of that package in April were made standard by May (the OA said that the liftgate was eventually made standard, but I'm not sure when).

EV-CPO and tesla.com don't list the premium package for the car.

Thanks!

LED interior accent lighting - This is the only thing I can see that is in the package that was there before."

Look for lighting in the door panels and under the seats front (visible from the rear seats).

In the early days, Tesla used to charge (I think) $1500 for the 'accent lighting package' which was literally 6 or 8 LED bulbs. All cars have the wiring harness and sockets for the bulbs.

According to some threads from April of 2016, the power liftgate was still part of the premium package. If that's true, then it seems that mine likely has the premium package since it has the power liftgate, lighted door handles, and at least some of the other items on the list. The headliner is white not black, but I think with the premium package you could opt for either (whereas without it it had to be white).

Excellent, that's very helpful, thanks. That will help me identify whether or not it has these lights.

It looks like in early 2015 this premium lighting package morphed into the "premium interior and lighting package", when they eliminated the tech package, making some of those items standard, and putting the rest in the new premium package (power liftgate, the lighting, etc.). This thread from the time mine seems to have been ordered involves a lot of discussion about it:
Premium interior and lighting (last decision to make and 2 days left) | Tesla