Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Current Monthly Electric Bill Is Amazing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my MS delivery 6 weeks ago, I couldn't wait to see my full monthly electric bill to compare my last year's. I am happy to report that I only pay 80 cents more for 29 days of driving the MS. Although this is only one month bill along with some routine changes, it may not be a fair comparison but you've got the idea.

Details:

* I had Progress Energy (North Carolina) installed the Time-Of-Use meter while the off peak hours are 9pm starts on weekdays, all day on weekends and holidays.
* I charged my MS every night after 9pm and weekends.
* We started doing laundry/dryer and dishes during off peak hours

My electric bills comparison:
3/26/13 (29 days) KW Usage: 1229KW, $.0658/KW, Total $80.87
3/26/12 (29 days) KW Usage: 678KW, $.1181/KW, Total $80.07

Now if I compare driving my Acura versus MS, it is even more dramatic, I basically save almost all of my fuel cost. My average fuel cost last year was around $54/week or $2808/year. WOW :love:

This post got my hopes up that I'd be able to get a ToU rate plan out of Duke Energy (since they and Progress Energy are merging), especially after seeing on Duke Energy's web site that they have that rate plan listed for residential users.

After spending about 20 minutes on the phone with them, turns out that that plan isn't offered to Duke Energy customers in NC, and that the Progress Energy customers in NC on a ToU plan are considered 'legacy accounts', and he wasn't sure if that plan would survive after Duke & Progress merge plans. :(

My co-operative's manager and I were discussing ToU rates and such at the annual meeting last week, and he reported that they did away with ToU rates a number of years ago because their supplier charges them no different for day vs. night. I thought it odd, but at $0.08 or so per kWh flat, I'm not going to complain.

This post got my hopes up that I'd be able to get a ToU rate plan out of Duke Energy (since they and Progress Energy are merging), especially after seeing on Duke Energy's web site that they have that rate plan listed for residential users.

After spending about 20 minutes on the phone with them, turns out that that plan isn't offered to Duke Energy customers in NC, and that the Progress Energy customers in NC on a ToU plan are considered 'legacy accounts', and he wasn't sure if that plan would survive after Duke & Progress merge plans. :(

When I called Progress Energy, they immediately sent the tech install the ToU meter for me and didn't mention anything about legacy account. I hope they don't eliminate the ToU, we'll see.