TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My custom-built charging-station

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by raffiniert, Oct 28, 2014.

1. raffiniert

raffiniert Member

Hi there

this is my 1st post here, so let me introduce myself first:

When I was a kid, I was "infected" by the e-mobility-virus by my uncle (Eisenring Engineering | Stromboli Electric Vehicle, Small Hydropower, Electric Vehicles, Renewable Energy Photovoltaics) who built some of the first EVs here in Switzerland and also won a lot of competitions with them. I helped him sand his female-molds for his body-work of the later car you can see on his site when I was around 12.

22 years later, I am owner of my own small company doing UX- and SEO-optimizations for companies here in switzerland (raffiniert media gmbh | Webconsulting, Entwicklung, Design), I live in my own passiv-house (Detailansicht) and I'm a very satisfied owner and fan of a Tesla Model S.

Because my hobbies involve lots of crafting (RC-modeling, home-built electric bicycles etc.) I had to build my own charging-station.

So this was the plan I've drawn in CAD:

ladesäule2.jpg

and after a lot of work with 2 friends of mine, this is the result:

Raphael Jeger on Twitter:

The charging-stations has two CEE16-plugs on either side and one on the inside (there are 2 service-covers on the backside). The one on the inside is not yet used, but was installed for having a 2nd UMC permanently connected to the charging-station. Now the time has come, winter will soon arrive here in Switzerland and I'd like to install the 2nd UMC. I was frightened when I noticed that this part (Tesla Gear Shop Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer) to hold the plug on the HPWC / UMC is only available for the US-style connector - not for the EU "Type 2"-Mennekes connector.

Now I hope someone has an idea - in the german Tesla-Forum, someone told me to ask Tesla to get a Supercharger-spare-part-cable-holder (what a word ;)), but I don't think I'll be able to get one of those.

Anyway, I thought I'd try my luck here.

Cheers!
    Raphael

2. Killface

Killface Member

I bet German has a single word for this. What an awesome language it is!

3. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Welcome to the forums! Your charging station is beautiful!

4. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

In Australia we are also getting Type 2 connectors for our Model S.
    I have not got my car yet but my wall connector is installed.
    I asked about the cable organizer and they said they did not make one to fit Type 2 plugs but perhaps one would be available in 2015.
    I'm not holding my breath. ;_)

5. youpidou

youpidou Member

Your charging station is beautiful! Congratulations!

I hope you manage to solve your issue, sorry I can't propose any help...

6. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Beautiful work!

As for the cableholder (I propose the German word Superchargerersatzteilkabelhalter :smile:) my first thought would be to try to 3D print something going of measurements of the charge plug. Also, keep in mind that the EU connector is a standard Type 2 Menneks connector so that there could be many other manufacturers that would have an appropriate spart holder part.

7. raffiniert

raffiniert Member

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

It's great that you like my charging-station :)

I am building a charge-plug-holder myself, because none of the available options would do the charging-station justice. Want to see a small build-log?

8. raffiniert

raffiniert Member

Hey Guys

this is my self-built cable-holder for the european Type 2-plug.

IMG_1765.jpg

It is already mounted to my charging-station, but no photo yet :)

- - - Updated - - -

this is how it looks when mounted...

IMG_1763.jpg

9. raffiniert

raffiniert Member

As no one seems to care I stop my publishing here, ok?

10. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Ell Zee One, when the twins alit.

Not OK!
    I have been watching your progress and hope to see more pictures.
    I just don't have any questions ...yet.

Rick

11. NoCO

NoCO Member

I normally don't post unless I need to add or question something. Great job, keep the photo's coming.

12. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I imagine other owners could be interested in purchasing your design should you want to offer it. Looks great!

13. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Just because noone or few people reply doesn't mean we aren't interested. It's a creative project and I look forward to seeing how it goes. Do, please, maintain this thread.