Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Delivered with Rock Chip painted with shitty white paint - What should I do???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some advice.
Long story short, went in to get car, was told to drive it and see if any issues, drove it, came back checked out car, found some damage which they are fixing for the most part but the rear tailgate has this gross chip which was painted with the wrong white probably by transport. What would you do?

Damages:

Front Bumper had a chip/scratch. Remedy: They are ordering a brand new factory painted bumper and replacing it.
Airbag unit had a scratch. Remedy: They are replacing the airbag unit.

Rear Tailgate (Pictures seen below) has this rock chip painted with the wrong white. Since its the tailgate and not the bumper, they want to spot spray it at the local 3rd party body shop to fix since it's not a bumper its harder to replace. I reported everything the delivery day but since I "Drove it off the lot" I couldn't refuse. Kind of got screwed.

Do I accept this spray job which im mad about on a new car, or do I escalate and push it to see what else they can do.

I'm honestly kind of annoyed at the whole situation and how it was handled.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9391 2.jpg
    IMG_9391 2.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_9390 2.jpg
    IMG_9390 2.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 397
Looks like they used white out. I'd bring it up and see what they say, at a minimum it should be professionally touched up.

Front bumper was also messed up same exact way with shitty paint, they agreed to replace it complete brand new, but since this one seen above is on the tailgate they said they would have to just have it re-sprayed/painted by the 3rd party body shop they use, but I feel some type of way of accepting this on a brand new car getting it repainted with 40 miles on it. Am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong. I wouldn't worry about a 3rd party body shop painting it. Automotive finishes have come a long ways and can be just as good as what comes out of the factory. If it's bugging you I'd either just refuse delivery if you can at this point or make them fix that one also. Especially if you are planning on doing ppf.

Now that said, our model 3 was hit with a runaway shopping cart 2 weeks after we got it that put a big scratch right on the left fender. Since then there are nicks and pits from rocks and whatever else hits you going down the highway along with door dings and the like. It's going to happen.

Not sure what advice I'm giving but there you go!

Reactions: 2101Guy
Don’t accept it. At trade in time people will say the car has been in an accident due to the paintwork and you will be shortchanged on trade in value. A new car should be perfect.

yea but the problem is, whats the solution, car now has 60 miles, they arent going to take it back and give me a new one, nor are they going to replace the entire tailgate, so whats the right solution i should seek?

I had a similar chip and repair on the front driver side fender at deliver. That is the actual Pearl White Metallic touch up paint. Same mixture as Dr. Color Chip. The match is horrible. The Tesla Touch Up kit online is dark, almost silver. The Pearl White Metallic is multi stage, so you have to pick a coat for touch up.

Tesla wouldn’t repair the chip with a repaint, which I didn’t care for anyway. The PPF shop touched it up better than Tesla, but still not perfect.

I have the Pearl White Multicoat paint on my (June 2020) LRMY. I had good results with the TouchupDirect kit. The Touchupdirect kit I purchased included 4 tubes: primer (dark grey), base coat (has the pigment, matched my Model Y perfectly), a mid coat (milky white with metallic flakes) and a clear coat. The Touchupdirect tube label reads: Tesla - PPSW Shasta White Pearl Base Coat, PPSW Mid Coat. The primer and the clear coat are generic.

I had to do several touch ups around the door hinges and also several long deep scratches (thanks Tesla) on the door sill on the driver's side. I used the primer on the deeper scratches. I waited about an hour before before applying the base coat. I did not bother with the mid coat or the clear coat as the base coat covered the damage so well I did not see the point.

The first order I received from TouchupDirect was incomplete (missing the base coat, bent applicator brush on the primer tube) but to their credit they shipped out replacements quickly once I contacted them by email.

What Rules 100 miles or 200 miles for what?

Fellow Autist... let them replace what they will replace and move on. I personally wouldn't deal with their spot spray - pear white is incredibly difficult to blend - you will see a much larger shading issue - to me - that would annoy me more. Additionally - your hatch and bumper are totally off color. Mine is too. Tell them you ant to see the front bumper cover before they put it on - the bumpers can be grossly off color from the body of your car. Yes - aggravating problems - but sometimes their solutions create larger problems. My door was off alignment and they created a mark similar to your hatch - they touched it up in the same fashion. I bet your tailgate was off and they adjusted it and marked it up. Good luck!

I just hope you don't back into a bush while exiting your driveway. Bummer! Then it would be on you.

Really, just get it fixed. Go to your own auto body shop and have them do it right. Probably won't cost you $500. In a year, this is what you'd have to do anyway, as your mileage would be higher, and in two years you'll just look past any little scratches as not worth your time. You already paid near $50K already.

Or buy some touch up and see if you can do it any better.

Next time you can buy a brown car so the "shitty" paint won't stand out.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stealth.Pilot