Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Delivery and Initial Performance Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a lot of info from these forums and I felt I should share my experience w/ the M3.

Delivery
Config: 4/15
ISA / VIN: 5/11
Delivery: 5/19
Black Premium Long Range

ISA experience - The guy was nice, but I did not get the final paperwork until 5/18. I ask them to make sure to add my referral credits from Solar referral (2) + Tesla Mistake. Only one solar referral was on my account by 5/16, the other one was still pending, but I know that my friend already installed it a month ago (there is a big delay in the Tesla internal referral system). The other Tesla mistake was for sending the referral check instead of a credit, etc. My ISA said they already put 2 supervisors to make sure I get the credit and finally got the final paperwork on 5/18 at 5 PM. The pickup was next day so I was rushed to go to the bank right before the pickup. Good thing I made it in time for my loan. (Hint: There is a lot of chaos internally at tesla referral dept... also, you can't call their referral dept - only email that takes 2-3 weeks for them to reply to you)

The pickup was quick - maybe an hour or less. After they bring out the car to the parking lot, I asked how to take off the hubcap. A lady helped me open the hubcap but she can't put it back in. In her attempt to put back the hubcap, it scratched the rim a little bit and made me squirm.. but it is a little bit so I didn't give her too much trouble. 2-3 other tesla employee tried to put it back in and they can't.. so they call a service guy. He tried it and it still didn't work so he went back in and grab another new hubcap and finally installed it. (Ugh I'm scared taking it off now)

Panel gaps - I had two small noticeable one. One is the door chrome and the other is near the charge port. I know two friends w/ M3s and I would say my build VIN 20K+ is a much better build. The gap near the charge port seems to be common in other M3s I saw including my friend's that he got a week ago. Overall, I am happy with the quality and will not be going back to SC to replace anything.

Seats - I got the updated M3 seats woohoo!

Performance - Coming from a BMW E90 328i, this car is much quicker, stable, and fun. It is freaking fun going from a stoplight. I don't have to think about fuel cost any more because the regen/electricity cost made it a lot cheaper to go fast (I'm frugal. Fuel cost is inherently in my head).

Music - Amazing at low speeds. Introverts will love the quietness and the music feels more clear due to the quiet ambient noise. Overall, I am happy w/ the music system. I am not an audiophile. I also like the music service included in the M3.

Insurance: Geico - added 80$ per 6 months switching from my BMW. Make sure to not select new car mechanical warranty from Geico, that's a ridiculous default addition.

Energy cost: I live in San Diego, so the electricity is freaking expensive. I bought the Tesla solar (my review:
) mainly because I am getting M3. Without it, I will blow through the tier 2 rates (Total Electric Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric) and that is 40c to 47c per kWh and it would be as expensive as my E90 BMW fuel cost. I recommend getting solar if you live in SD.

Filling up: At home, I am just using the 120V standard plug w/ extension cord 12/3 gauge. I think I am losing $$ on the efficiency but for now, I'll try this. Getting 4miles/hr in the m3.

Thanks for reading. Can't wait to drive more of this car.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 86