Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY delivery - Be happy if all you have are fit issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered by Model Y in February and picked it up June 30. My fears over rushed delivery after the factory shutdown were warranted. It was apparent they rushed it to deliver in Q2. I would have been happy ONLY dealing with fit issues. In retrospect, I should have rejected delivery. But the tech said they would fix it. So now I am stuck with 10 days in the body shop so they can sand out the glue and staple and repaint the right roof and right front fender.

Below are the four worst issues. There were a few trim fit issues as well. Surprisingly the charging port, hatch and doors all looked good. It's too bad. I like the MY and after watching Munro's teardown of the engineering, I like it even more. Just wish there was as much effort put into assembly as there was engineering.

Right front fender by the start of the A-pillar and windshield. Looks like a staple was left in the fender before the car was painted. Even the delivery tech said he's never seen this before.
IMG_0965.jpeg

Same right front fender showing metal flashing that should have been removed. This is by the headlamp.
IMG_0964.jpeg

Excess roof window adhesive leaked out onto the right roof. Can't just scrape or use remover to take this off. Requires sanding and repainting.
C9BE8ED3-8487-4936-8E5F-3841A5BCF374.jpeg

This is on the left side interior. Factory used too much adhesive and it leaked onto the window and the headliner. New headliner needs to be installed. Not sure yet if the window can be saved.
D74A8A18-466E-467F-92DE-C6F895C3785C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: petergy and kevin1
i'm supposed to pick mine up on friday and am dreading issues that are so bad that i don't accept delivery.

I was in the same boat, and frankly dont stress over it. I was armed to the tooth with post it flags, a 79 point inspection checklist, and debated driving up the night before to curbside inspect it, just so I could be for warned and have proper expectations on delivery day.

All of that stress and worrying made me a wreck come delivery day. When I got there, I had only three issues (hatchback not closing, rear seat alignment, and coat hooks) were the only problems I had at the time. Since then, I have had a bad/dead/misaligned/something radar, washer fluid hose not connected (robot didn't do it), a mysterious blast of air sound and a couple rattles inside.

Once you get there, plan on 30 minutes to walk around the car. Inspect everything you can. I think I only had 4-5 non-negotiables, the reset I could live with as service appointments. Even though I shouldn't have to, I personally decided I could live with them.

That said, given the example above, I probably would have rejected it. But I think there are more good examples of great deliveries than there are bad ones.

Reactions: DolfanMY
Yeah...I didn't know enough. Do you know what happens when you reject delivery? Do they order you another right away? Or do you need to order another online? Do you get your deposit back? Are you able to re-order the exact same thing?
If you reject it, they order (or find) you a new one since you haven’t officially purchased the car yet.

I was in the same boat, and frankly dont stress over it. I was armed to the tooth with post it flags, a 79 point inspection checklist, and debated driving up the night before to curbside inspect it, just so I could be for warned and have proper expectations on delivery day.

All of that stress and worrying made me a wreck come delivery day. When I got there, I had only three issues (hatchback not closing, rear seat alignment, and coat hooks) were the only problems I had at the time. Since then, I have had a bad/dead/misaligned/something radar, washer fluid hose not connected (robot didn't do it), a mysterious blast of air sound and a couple rattles inside.

Once you get there, plan on 30 minutes to walk around the car. Inspect everything you can. I think I only had 4-5 non-negotiables, the reset I could live with as service appointments. Even though I shouldn't have to, I personally decided I could live with them.

That said, given the example above, I probably would have rejected it. But I think there are more good examples of great deliveries than there are bad ones.
Radar?

Sorry for the late reply. I have had personal stuff going on that has kept me away.

Yep. My radar for Auto-Pilot is fubar. When I took delivery, I did the standard 70ish miles driving calibration (letting the grey wheel fill up to blue). Once it turned blue meaning I could use AP, I pulled off the interstate, parked got out, let the car lock, got back in and headed down the interstate. At the first chance AP was ready, I engaged and let it do its magic. Less than 1 minute later every AP based alarm told me to take over and shut off AP. I then had a message pop up that said Auto-Pilot and other safety features would be disabled until the next drive. Pulled over, I even did a soft reboot and and the same result. Figured maybe it wasn't full calibrated so I drove it home without AP or any other safety features (Adaptive Cruise Control, Emergency Braking, Blind Spot, Lane Keep, etc). Got home. Did a full hard reboot, no change. Even powered off the car and let it sleep overnight without charging or anything.

Came to it the next morning, started my drive to work and same thing. I logged a mobile support ticket (the fastest choice). They looked at the car remotely and said that the radar in the bumper is not checking in and is showing MIA. However, it is sporadic. Some days it works, other days it doesn't. I have had two full drive to and from work that it worked great. Other drives, it dies within a minute.

Their working theory is the the radar is faulty and needs replacing. It could be a loose wire, not bracketed tightly to the car, obstruction under the bumper blocking the radar. They are just going to replace it all together, just to be safe.

Sorry for the long post. :)