Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery date is finally here! Why am I so nervous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like forever since I first test-drove a Tesla Model 3 and Y back in early April and then placed an order for a Model Y on 3/24, but my delivery day is finally here! I tried very hard to avoid this, but Tesla is insisting on a home delivery of my car even though I only live 15 miles from the sales center in Tysons Virginia where the car is currently located. I'm extremely excited to get the car, but also nervous on a few levels. Let me explain, while also asking for advice...

Home delivery (schedule): From everything I've read you should avoid this at all costs. My original schedule said they would deliver the car by 3pm, but now they say "maybe by 8pm". Even that would be fine if they could give me some sort of notice within a few hours of delivery, but they just said "we don't know when it will get there - just relax and we'll text you once we drop it off". Thanks - very helpful.

Home delivery (inspection): This was my biggest concern. I am NOT going to accept delivery (and agree to pay for) a $50k car unless I can fully check it out. From what I've read, when they drop off a car for home delivery you need to click on the "Accept Delivery" button in the Tesla app before you can even unlock the car. I had a long conversation with my delivery agent today and he finally agreed that he would remotely unlock the car once it has been delivered. This will allow me to inspect the interior and all the controls. I don't feel like that's asking too much before committing to buying the car.

Possible pending tax rebates: I've been dreaming about a Tesla for years and owning one is so close I can almost taste it. But it also seems possible (and maybe even likely) that the government will re-instate at least a $7.5k tax rebate this year. It's possible that cars delivered after May might qualify for this rebate, but it's also very possible that the rebate won't take effect until the bill is signed. I am going to feel like an idiot if I buy this car and then find out a month later that I could have gotten a huge rebate if I had just waited a little longer.

Sorry for the long rant. So my questions are...

1) Should I avoid home delivery?
2) If I go through with home delivery, how hard is it to back out if I find a major problem?
3) Am I crazy to buy a Tesla in late June even though it seems likely that a big rebate is coming soon (that I might not qualify for)?

Thanks!

Reactions: hcdavis3
It seems like forever since I first test-drove a Tesla Model 3 and Y back in early April and then placed an order for a Model Y on 3/24, but my delivery day is finally here! I tried very hard to avoid this, but Tesla is insisting on a home delivery of my car even though I only live 15 miles from the sales center in Tysons Virginia where the car is currently located. I'm extremely excited to get the car, but also nervous on a few levels. Let me explain, while also asking for advice...

Home delivery (schedule): From everything I've read you should avoid this at all costs. My original schedule said they would deliver the car by 3pm, but now they say "maybe by 8pm". Even that would be fine if they could give me some sort of notice within a few hours of delivery, but they just said "we don't know when it will get there - just relax and we'll text you once we drop it off". Thanks - very helpful.

Home delivery (inspection): This was my biggest concern. I am NOT going to accept delivery (and agree to pay for) a $50k car unless I can fully check it out. From what I've read, when they drop off a car for home delivery you need to click on the "Accept Delivery" button in the Tesla app before you can even unlock the car. I had a long conversation with my delivery agent today and he finally agreed that he would remotely unlock the car once it has been delivered. This will allow me to inspect the interior and all the controls. I don't feel like that's asking too much before committing to buying the car.

Possible pending tax rebates: I've been dreaming about a Tesla for years and owning one is so close I can almost taste it. But it also seems possible (and maybe even likely) that the government will re-instate at least a $7.5k tax rebate this year. It's possible that cars delivered after May might qualify for this rebate, but it's also very possible that the rebate won't take effect until the bill is signed. I am going to feel like an idiot if I buy this car and then find out a month later that I could have gotten a huge rebate if I had just waited a little longer.

2) If I go through with home delivery, how hard is it to back out if I find a major problem?
3) Am I crazy to buy a Tesla in late June even though it seems likely that a big rebate is coming soon (that I might not qualify for)?

Thanks!
If it were me I would go to the service center. Lots of people go over the car with a fine tooth comb, but don’t check one important thing. Does the car charge properly. Since most SCs have chargers this would be the last thing I check before leaving. If the car was charged before delivery then this won’t be necessary.

If it were me I would go to the service center. Lots of people go over the car with a fine tooth comb, but don’t check one important thing. Does the car charge properly. Since most SCs have chargers this would be the last thing I check before leaving. If the car was charged before delivery then this won’t be necessary.

Well, they delivered the car before 11am this morning, so that was pretty sweet. I don't have a home charger yet, so I just used the adapter and plugged into a regular outlet. It's charging, so hopefully that's a good sign. I'll have to take it to a Supercharger station to really test out full charging.

So far everything seems to check out. The only major problem is that you essentially have to slam the driver's side door to make it close correctly. My sales agent said this is a very frequent problem that he sees in almost 25% of their cars. He said it's an easy fix, and they can even send someone to my house to make the adjustment. Should I believe him - is this a common problem that will be easy to fix?

Reactions: hcdavis3
The only major problem is that you essentially have to slam the driver's side door to make it close correctly. My sales agent said this is a very frequent problem that he sees in almost 25% of their cars. He said it's an easy fix, and they can even send someone to my house to make the adjustment. Should I believe him - is this a common problem that will be easy to fix?
Why were you so nervous? Because you had reason to be. Any "easy fix". That was the story on my Y too.

After waiting months, I cancelled my Model Y that arrived yesterday. Was supposed to pick it up on Tuesday. Had the down payment ready, financing in place, and sold my existing EV (that I loved) a couple of days ago. Got the call this morning that there is a problem with the Y's hood (it doesn't close), and that it needs to be fixed. The Tesla advisor said "Hey, no problem" "It's an easy fix" "It will be good as new". As good as new. Take a moment to think about that statement. I did. Sure, because most new cars I tend to buy require $4,000 repairs made to them before I take them home. No discount, of course. Then he tells me he's got another Y that's available in another city, except in a different color. Have to pay extra for that one though.

That's the moment I figured out Tesla's dirty little secret: The "available" cars they offer you were probably refused for good reason. Like shitty aligned doors or damaged hoods that don't close. Normal people don't accept a brand new luxury car that needs to be repaired. I didn't.

Thanks!

I would kill for home delivery. I have to fly 250 miles away, and do a 4 hour drive back to my house with a car I am unfamiliar with and that I have not had a chance to put PPF on to yet. Oh, and I hear that if you discover a problem after 100 miles they give you crap and try not to fix it for free... my drive home is 250 miles.

Keith

PS: You are feeling nervous about delivery day because they have been jerking you around for months now, and you are expecting a big F U of some kind when you get the car. I am pulling for you and hoping for the best on your delivery.

I'm happy to report that the car checks out great (so far). I spent a good 2 hours looking it over with the assistance of a few checklists that I found online. Other than the drivers-side door needing a little extra muscle to close, everything seems fine so far. I'm still under 100 miles, so I will do more inspection tomorrow. I'd love to hear from people if there's anything unusual that I should check that wouldn't normally be covered on a standard checklist.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

Thanks!
The current bill working it’s way through legislature has a May 24th, 2021 date for removal of vehicle sales limit (Tesla and Chevy) so any vehicle purchased after that date would be eligible. However, there is an additional $2500 each for union made and American made that is Jan 1, 2022. Should it pass you would be eligible for the $7500 but would miss out on $2500.

Thanks!
FYI - It's not a tax rebate, it's a tax credt. The EV tax credit is a nonrefundable credit. In other words, the tax credit is only valuable if you have tax liability. The government does not cut you a check for the balance.

FYI - It's not a tax rebate, it's a tax credt. The EV tax credit is a nonrefundable credit. In other words, the tax credit is only valuable if you have tax liability. The government does not cut you a check for the balance.
Actually the current pending legislature that would remove the vehicle cap also changes it to fully refundable from 2022. So cars purchased after May 24, 2021 get $7500 non refundable. From 2022, you get $10,000 fully refundable.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean%20Energy%20for%20America%20Act%20-%20Chairman's%20Mark.pdf

pg 29

Beginning January 1, 2022, the proposal makes the EV credit a refundable personal income tax credit for vehicles acquired on or after that date. The proposal also adds a requirement that taxpayers must list the vehicle identification number (“VIN”) on their returns for the taxable year in order to claim the EV credit. The proposal also gives the IRS mathematical error authority for taxpayers who omit the VIN.

Reactions: Clark_Kent