Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back a few hours ago and I thought I'd post my experience.

My appointment was at 2:30pm, as they said the SC would be pretty empty around then. It was. I was the only one doing a delivery. I show up about 10 minutes early and they're still detailing my car getting it ready. I give them my keys and talk with someone there until my car was ready. It took a little bit (maybe 20 minutes) but I was ready to inspect the car outside. I had to inspect the car outside because Texas state laws state Tesla cannot give anyone a car inside of a building (seriously TADA? What a bunch of bull... it was 100 degrees outside...)

Overall, the inspection was good. There were definitely some issues, but I believe they were all minor. The FWDs and front doors opened just fine, nice and fast and no squeaking. Interior was in pretty good shape. The passenger side window does squeak when rolling all the way up automatically. They guy said it might be because it's wet (I know better, but was nice about it since I have to come back anyway). I'll just ask them to grease it when I take the car back to get the rest of it fixed.

There were slight panel fitment issues. Most of the car is fine. There's a small gap in where the passenger side rear quarter panel meets the trunk piece. Some of the chrome trim around the FWD is slightly off. I pointed this out to the guys and they took the car back and measured. They came back saying it was off a little and they'd call to set up an appointment and fix it all at once. Some of the rubber/silicone moulding doesn't look like it's set right, but it looks like it just needs to be tucked in under the chrome trim a little.

The steering wheel was brown in one area in the stitching, but they wiped it w/ a towel and it all came off. There's a little bit of glue-like residue on a hidden corner of the carpeted upholstery on the back of the third row seat (only noticeable when you fold the seat down).

There were no huge flaws: no mismatched trim, chips/marks/scratches that I could see anyway, bluetooth works fine with my vehicle (though I'm updating to the latest firmware now...hopefully that doesn't screw anything up :p).

I signed the final paperwork and stopped by the service center to look for a replacement Tesla emblem for the rear (I want to replace the emblem after they debadge the car for full wrap and I want new adhesive that is perfect when they stick it back on). I waited about 5 minutes for them to check inventory (they had three available) and then waited about 15 minutes while they pulled the part. I shelled out $25 (seriously for a thin chrome emblem??), and then I was on my way.

Had to baby the car home (thankfully the service center is about 4 miles from my house) because I didn't want to pick up any rock chips or scrapes from road debris before I drop my car off at the shop to get wrapped on Monday.

On the way home, I noticed that I had this weird rubber-grinding-like noise when I took a fairly hard right turn near my home at about 25 mph. Then I heard it again for like 1 second while going up a super steep hill after turning left. I drove around the block to see if I could reproduce it, but nothing so far. I'll test again and be sure to let the SC know when I bring it in to have everything else addressed.

I sat in the garage for a bit and played with settings, installed my two carseats and just configured the EQ settings for the audio. Premium sound is pretty amazing, especially when parked.

Now I'm installing the update and will wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Overall, I would say it was a success. There are things I noticed that I'm not going to ask to get fixed, and there are others that I'm going to ask them to fix if it's easy. I don't want them to screw anything up trying to make something perfect. Overall, I'd say I had a good experience so far. I'll update this when I have more updates. Deep blue metallic looks AMAZING in-person on an X! Pictures don't do the car justice. I love the cream/oak combo as well. I think I may have been equally has happy with the CF trim after looking at it in person, but my wife and I liked the oak more in pictures. In hindsight, I slightly wish I got the CF after seeing it in person, but I love this color combo.

I have to say though, driving the car right now sucks. I am very cautious when driving because I don't want to put my car at risk for getting any scratches or chips until the PPF is installed. I have Thursday and Friday to basically drive about 30 miles total (not on highways, I'll avoid them as I live only about 7 miles from work). I'll garage the car and then drop it off at the shop on Monday. Once I get it wrapped, I'm going to drive it like I stole it :D

Here's some pictures of some of the issues I've noticed. I've also included pictures of the front/FWD door matching (I think it's actually pretty spot on) and of course the car parked in the garage (I park myself as I don't have EAP :D)

IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0751.jpg IMG_0753.jpg IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0760.jpg IMG_0763.jpg IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0758.jpg

Congrats !!! Do u have the one piece trim on the front window or the two piece trim(small triangle window up front )
Beautiful color !!
Two piece. I checked after reading that one thread :p

I'm not touching it. If it doesn't rattle or come loose on its own, I'm going to leave it. Pretty sure it's a design change (can't say a flaw) but who knows. I'm not going to let it bother me, though it does look better as one piece for sure.

Snapped a quick picture of the interior in poor lighting, just to show off the cream/oak. One thing I noticed that I'm impressed with is that the wood is like...real wood. It's smooth and sanded, but it's not like a plastic veneer. It actually looks/feels like wood, including all of the personalities (some would call defects) of the wood itself.

Can't figure out if I love it or am just okay with it. On one hand, it really does feel like it brings a hint of nature inside the car, which is pretty cool. It does have the one unfortunate issue of not looking uniform, but I'll chalk it up to personality :)

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Love
Reactions: K3Man
Thanks for sharing and congrats! I have what looks to be the same slight gap in the trunk area as well. I brought in our car for some other issues and had them look at the trunk as well. They said the trunk was within spec but they still tried to align it even closer but it was already at its highest tolerance. They offered to bring it to a body shop if I was not satisfied.

Thanks for sharing and congrats! I have what looks to be the same slight gap in the trunk area as well. I brought in our car for some other issues and had them look at the trunk as well. They said the trunk was within spec but they still tried to align it even closer but it was already at its highest tolerance. They offered to bring it to a body shop if I was not satisfied.
Interesting. The guy who did my delivery who took it back to talk to the techs did not tell me it was within spec. They said they'd be able to adjust it to close the gap a little more. I think the picture makes it look worse than it is. It's probably closer to 1/3" - 1/2" at most. It's not great, but as long as it doesn't let water into the trunk, I'd probably be fine. I'd love for them to adjust it a little more to close the gap, since I believe that entire panel is just a little out of whack. The part that sits right over the wheel has a slight gap above the plastic over the wheel well as well, so it does seem like it's just misaligned a little.

I have a saying 'the difference between a cheap car and an expensive one is that in a cheap car they try to make plastic look like wood and in an expensive car they try to make wood look like plastic'

I'll take real wood that actually looks and feels like wood over the alternatives every time. YMMV

Snapped a quick picture of the interior in poor lighting, just to show off the cream/oak. One thing I noticed that I'm impressed with is that the wood is like...real wood. It's smooth and sanded, but it's not like a plastic veneer. It actually looks/feels like wood, including all of the personalities (some would call defects) of the wood itself.

Can't figure out if I love it or am just okay with it. On one hand, it really does feel like it brings a hint of nature inside the car, which is pretty cool. It does have the one unfortunate issue of not looking uniform, but I'll chalk it up to personality :)

Congrats on taking delivery! I am actually trying to schedule my detailer to trailer my car from the dealership after I take delivery. For dark colors like your blue and my black, every imperfection shows.

Your interior is beautiful. The colors go very well together and it has some serious warmth. I'm actually concerned that my white/CF is going to look too sterile.

Congrats on the new car. We also have the cream with light oak interior, but white exterior. We really like the cream with oak, but after seeing yours, maybe should have went with the blue.

BTW, hard to believe you have to deliver a car outside. Must be an old ICE car things so they don't start it inside and kill everyone with exhaust fumes!

Congrats on the new car. We also have the cream with light oak interior, but white exterior. We really like the cream with oak, but after seeing yours, maybe should have went with the blue.

Yeah I love the blue. I wanted the blue for sure, and after test driving a car with the cream interior, my wife and I were sold on that. I agree it's a great combination! :D

BTW, hard to believe you have to deliver a car outside. Must be an old ICE car things so they don't start it inside and kill everyone with exhaust fumes!

No, actually it's a state law that punishes Tesla. ICE cars can take delivery inside :rolleyes: Tesla isn't a franchised dealership, so that's why they can't :rolleyes:

Congrats on taking delivery! I am actually trying to schedule my detailer to trailer my car from the dealership after I take delivery. For dark colors like your blue and my black, every imperfection shows.

Your interior is beautiful. The colors go very well together and it has some serious warmth. I'm actually concerned that my white/CF is going to look too sterile.
It's going to look better than you think. I'm glad I got the oak, but I could see myself easily happy with the cream + CF. I think these cars look better in person than in pictures. Report back when you get it, but I think you'll be happy.

I thought about the trailer, but if you truly have bad luck, something will go wrong anyway. I'm taking my chances while I drop off/pick up the kids from school. I'm going to probably drop off the car tomorrow in the shop though, so I just need to make it through one more day :D:p

Reactions: Anzir
My quarter panel and trunk gap is horrible. However at least for mine, both sides have large gap so I don’t see how any adjustment can be done.

As for other trim and FWD misalignments, yea I got them all as well but didn’t bother asking them to fix.

Is this your second X? Your inspection sounds like an experienced prior owner.

My quarter panel and trunk gap is horrible. However at least for mine, both sides have large gap so I don’t see how any adjustment can be done.

As for other trim and FWD misalignments, yea I got them all as well but didn’t bother asking them to fix.

Is this your second X? Your inspection sounds like an experienced prior owner.

This is my first X. I’ve just spent the past two months learning and researching on here while I waited :D

I’ll report back once the SC attempts the repairs on my list. I’ll share my ongoing list of issues here for those who are interested.

Reactions: Spelly88
I just got done dropping off my car to get PPF. While I was there, the guy and I went around the car looking for things he’s commonly seen on the X. I have a few more things to add to the list, the biggest, scariest and most damaging one being a slight door misalignment on the passenger side that has actually grinded off paint and is actually visible (slightly) from the outside. I’ll give a list here with some pictures for people who are interested, and it will serve as documentation for me to help show the service team when I drop the car off to them Tuesday, August 7th.

1) FWD misalignment on passenger side. Caused paint damage that needs to be repaired.
5CD7248C-4FE2-442D-8E3A-665D68E06C73.jpeg
B1D8B419-F79C-4044-8AB8-48D1A21051B5.jpeg

This one is particularly painful because I can’t wrap that panel. That bottom picture is going to make it so that the wrap is going to get constantly hit by the door, so it needs to be fixed before I wrap that panel. That part needs to be lightly sanded and touched up.

2) Silicone/rubber-like adhesive hanging partially on the driver side door where the window meets the door.
DD7E003B-2EC9-4906-AB44-AC317BB50026.jpeg

3) Trunk gap on the passenger side is slightly wider than the driver side. The whole panel actually seems to be off a bit

78D3C7AA-185B-451F-99B2-718D3482D18B.jpeg

4) Passenger side rear panel by trunk (same panel as #3) is a little off, so there’s a slight separation between the plastic trim around the wheel well and the panel

F7C741B9-CF88-403D-A075-EAFF068750BB.jpeg

5) Passenger side FWD chrome is misaligned and slightly lowered on one side
6) The chrome on the other side of the passenger side FWD has the rubber strip not tucked in all the way (same pic as 5)

3BA014A1-F418-4267-AE84-431D3DF7BE2A.jpeg

7) Chrome trim on rear driver’s side window is misaligned. Needs slight adjustment

75DCC2B1-36C0-4CEC-A989-E4DB739D4E48.jpeg

8) Passenger side front window squeaks when rolling up all the way. Needs lubrication.
9) Speaker/air vent grill on the driver’s side has some material that needs to be tucked in

9256B0B0-D17D-4BB5-9147-1F5EEFE01A80.jpeg

10) Rear seat (3rd row) when folded down, has some adhesive of some sort stuck on the bottom right corner

9320172D-6890-4ECC-AE9F-044C18A08DC6.jpeg

11) Frunk area driver side panel gap slightly larger than passenger side. The frunk liner seems to be sticking out a little bit as well in the general area.

EDB30ACE-46AB-44A1-ACAA-07C337CCE35C.jpeg

12) Cannot reproduce - but keeping in mind — I had a little bit of a rubber-like grinding noise for a split second after a hard right turn going about 20-25mph and once more quickly after going straight after a hard left turn. Never happened again, so I’ll just bring it up but not focus on it too much.

13) Push-to-talk button no longer works. Tried a console reset and that didn't seem to fix it. Will try a full reboot when I get the car back to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
For those of you who have yet to take delivery of their car, this may be something you should come to expect. I did and therefore I'm not really too pissed about it. This wasn't my only car that needed to have things addressed. That being said, this is the only car with panel misalignments. While it's unfortunate that Tesla's build results yield these types of defects, it's just an unfortunate outcome of their rush to market and need to refine their manufacturing process. I think it's a good idea to set your expectations low, and then be pleasantly surprised when you do your inspection. Some may argue that one shouldn't have to do this, but if you don't, I just feel you're dooming yourself to be unhappy.

I believe Tesla will do their best to make it right. This is really not that bad overall, but it'd be nice to see if they can address all of these issues. I'm going to be very clear with the service team though -- If they cannot make an adjustment without possibly making things worse, then I do not want the adjustment made. I would rather live with these imperfections rather than risk something worse. Except for #1. That needs to get fixed, otherwise my PPF on that panel is going to get damaged and eventually torn through.

I only have 50 miles on the car, but I love it so much. Best driving car I've ever owned or driven. I wish it wasn't out of commission for a week getting a full PPF wrap and ceramic coating :(

Reactions: hiroshiy