Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My difficult driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
I'm rather concerned that Model S will be too large for my driveway and garage. The problem is that the driveway is curved, has a storm drain to one side, and a pillar in front of the single garage door (~92" wide). I've scratched my current car a few times (99 Passat) and Model S is a foot longer and wider.

Here's the general lay:
IMG_3185.JPG

with detail of the storm drain. I've been using that high curb as an excuse to get the air suspension.
IMG_3186.JPG

And here's how I need to approach at an angle and cut in around the pillar to squeeze into the garage:
IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

I don't think I can make it, do you?
I'm already using every bit of concrete and coming within inches of the pillar and the garage door opening.
It may help if I put in a curb ramp by the storm drain (without covering it) so I can get a more head-on approach. Like something from these guys
www.bridjit.com or CurbRamps.com

Otherwise, I'm seriously considering downgrading to the new Rav4EV, both for the size and for the cost. But I give up a lot too :crying:

PS - no I can't park on the left side garage because that's where my wife's car goes (she doesn't want to deal with the curve either) and since Model S is so long we wouldn't be able to do laundry with it parked on the left. It would get old real fast to have to scoot the car out every time we wanted to access the dryer.

I think it is possible to place a Model S into the garage, but I think you need to reverse into the garage. (Assuming the garage is wide and deep enough, of course.)

My solution:

- Reverse into the driveway, placing the back of the car as close to the pillar as possible.
- When the pillar is exactly in line with the back axle, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right.
- Reverse until the car is in line with the garage.
- Turn the steering wheel left until the front wheels are pointing straight forward.
- Reverse all the way into the garage.

(In the second to last picture, you have about half a meter of concrete next to the back wheel you aren't using - reversing into the garage makes it easier to use that space as well.)

Ive got a passat and swinging that big nose into a parking space is always a little scary. Perhaps the lower front end of the Model S would help. I would also suggest reversing and also for the first few times lay a yellow tape down for sighting purposes, rather like people hang tennis balls down from the ceiling to stop them hitting a wall. I know the model S is wider but you still have plenty of room at the garage door.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of people who say you need to back the car in. Try it with the Passat, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much extra room it gives you. I've got a very similar challenge -- a "two car" garage with a pole in the middle, and the garage is on the side of my house, so I have to swing the car in from the street and the get it straight enough to get into the one-car garage-sized opening. After trying a few different things, backing in became the clear best way to do this, and the Model S should be even easier because the back wheels are so close to the back of the car.

The other suggestion is to cut down those little bushes in between the two garages -- it's a relatively unnecessary extra obstacle that increases the degree of difficulty in pulling into that spot.

Thanks for the comments. Yes those bushes have got to go, and I'll need to clear out the boxes to have room to open the door when I back it in. I'll try it with the Passat. Nice thing about the Model S is that it's easy to scoot over to the passenger side to get out if I'm too close to the wall on the driver's side.

Have you tried approaching from the other direction; steer the front wheels to just miss the curb height change, the back wheels may clear or "ride" over the curb doing this way but it may give you a straighter alignment to the garage opening.

I'm going to be blunt here: you're hosed.

Your 1999 Passat is 68.5" wide. The Model S is almost 9" wider, at 77.3". Adding mirrors, the Model S is 86.2" wide - that leaves you less than 3" on each side - not easy with a straight driveway. Now add curve, drain, posts and it's just not pretty.

If you've scratched your Passat, you're going to scratch your Model S. Backing in may help, but it's going to be tricky and you're going to have to get rid of the boxes and stuff stacked along the outside wall.

I know this is disappointing news.

Are those free-standing pillars on either side of the garage doors structural? If not, it should be easy to remove them, which would help. Even if they are, removing the center one and putting in a strong structural beam instead should be possible.

Or there's that nice house down the street that's on the market with the straight driveway and 2-1/2 car garage....:wink:

Seeing the pictures and reading the thread, one thing is clear:
"Unobstructed middle" two car garage is now a requirement when/if I get another house. Avoiding such daily automotive gymnastic drama is definitely high on my list.

Are those free-standing pillars on either side of the garage doors structural? If not, it should be easy to remove them, which would help. Even if they are, removing the center one and putting in a strong structural beam instead should be possible.
Yes they are structural (holding up a balcony) and I don't think the HOA would be very happy if I tried to remove them!

Or there's that nice house down the street that's on the market with the straight driveway and 2-1/2 car garage....:wink:
I think that's the preferred long term solution, but unfortunately about $1M+ price getting in the way.

Tough break, Kip! That seems scary enough that I'd rather park the Model S in the driveway and have a weatherproof 240V outlet / HPC installed on the outside (if your HOA would let you do that). I for one cannot back a car into a garage for the life of me.

Don't give up on the S though! You can get creative with the charger much as some others have.

EDIT: This article might be of help regarding HOAs and charger installations.

removing that boxy column pedestal should help a little.
Compare the model S wheelbase of 116.5" to the Passat B5's 106.4" and you see it's even harder to make that curve. A longer wheelbase moves the rear wheels closer to the center of the curve.
I'd support Robert's advice to move the storm drain. It eliminates driving the curve and improves the property's value regardless of car or driver skill.

- - - Updated - - -

add some concrete to the curve (orange). When entering the driveway, aim the front wheels there (blue lines). That helps to clear the garage opening with the left front and the column with the right rear of the car.
kip2.jpg

Tough problem. Let us know what you get worked out. Did the city get back to you? If you were to offer to help pay to move the storm drain (you shouldn't have to of course) would that help?

Another thought is to lay some concrete down in the gap between the storm drain and your driveway. That should allow you to get a better angle on entry into the difficult driveway. Combine that with Volkers driveway expansion (if legal) and you should be in much better shape.