Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My disaster of a delivery experience (No quality control)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! What can prospective owners even do to avoid this situation? Is it just a roll of the dice on such a pricy vehicle?
I don’t know what you’d do in Lynnwood, I picked mine up in a December deluge and there was no roof or bay to inspect it in, when I opened the fwd there was a waterfall into the back seat. Take it or leave it though, they wouldn’t budge. On that whole stretch of 99 it looked like all the other dealers had carports set up, not Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: rpo
Update: The car is still in service, and I have not been able to get them to respond in 2 days now. Not surprised there. I was even given the service manager's personal cell, and he stopped responding a week ago after communicating extremely well for a couple of days.

I was told during the last call that my X is NOT the only one where the 3rd row seat stitching fell apart recently at this service center alone. Not a good sign for its longevity if this turns out to be a design defect.

Latest update. Seats are repaired. No word on the computer/door issues. Service said it is ready except they won't let me pick it up until they get the car communicating with the app...which is still broken. My app (and their system as well) shows that I own a Model Y and not an X, and they seem unable to fix it after having the car for 10 days. That is the hold up now.

Latest update. Seats are repaired. No word on the computer/door issues. Service said it is ready except they won't let me pick it up until they get the car communicating with the app...which is still broken. My app (and their system as well) shows that I own a Model Y and not an X, and they seem unable to fix it after having the car for 10 days. That is the hold up now.

This is crazy. They should have just gave you another car at this point.

Reactions: aerodyne
And the service manager gave me wrong info, and the vehicle has not been fixed yet. Geez. Called in and could not get an ETA from the rep who answered.

Just found out they did not order one of the seats and are now stuck waiting on that despite that I was told all parts were in 8 days ago.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: doomsday997
Unless they fix the Vin discrepancy I wouldn't take the car back. What does motor vehicles say about the Vin? Does it show in their system that it is a Model X? If you did need to have body work done the body shop wouldn't be able to get parts for it since Tesla says it is a Model Y Vin. Ask your insurance company what they show it as?

Unless they fix the Vin discrepancy I wouldn't take the car back. What does motor vehicles say about the Vin? Does it show in their system that it is a Model X? If you did need to have body work done the body shop wouldn't be able to get parts for it since Tesla says it is a Model Y Vin. Ask your insurance company what they show it as?
That part is supposedly fixed. I ran a Carfax last week, and it is correctly showing as a 2023 X too. My insurance company had no record of the VIN when I obtained my insurance, and I have not reached back out to them.

Wow, you have had a terrible journey so far and with the flagship (most expensive) model you can purchase. I was having empathy pains reading your posts from the beginning. My 2021 MSLR has not been as bad as yours however....I have had the passenger seat replaced twice....the centre console replaced twice (first replacement had the reverse working lights) and the car is (since Dec 23) in the shop for the fifth time with SRS (safety restraint system) errors. I am going to pull and compare all of the service work orders since last October as now I swear they are replacing parts that were replaced on prior WO's ( steering column controller x 2 ). This time they are replacing the entire wiring harness for the SRS. Each time I get the car back there is just a bit more damage from trim being taken off and the seats all being removed so I am sweating what will appear on 1/3 (promise date) and goodness I HOPE IT IS FINALLY FIXED !! I will admit that I forgive the car very quickly and fall back in love after a few kilometres of driving....

• Informative
Reactions: rpo
So...the seats are fixed. Sitting in the 3rd row once did not cause the stitching to unravel again, so that's a positive. The stains on the front passenger seat were fixed by replacing that seat as well. No further computer issues so far after a few drives. So everything I needed fixed appears to be, but....

1. The driver's seat was filthy. Brown dirt smeared all over the white seats and arm rests on both sides. I have not tried cleaning it off yet.
2. The entire interior was filthy. There was dirt and leaves all over the carpets that were not there when Tesla towed it along with plastic wrap (probably from the new seats?) left inside. I did vacuum up all the debris they left inside.
3. I have not tried programming Homelink yet. I was having the same issues others have reported where the car won't go into the 3rd programming screen and leaves you stuck in a loop trying to program it. I'll test this out later today.

I cleaned off all of the dirt off the driver's seat and detailed the rest of the interior that Tesla forgot to do before returning the car to me. Took a couple of hours. Tesla offered to pay for a professional detail, but I ended up just doing it myself and putting a nanocoat on the white interior too. It's flawless inside now. Seats are all perfect.

But...HomeLink won't program at all. Just says "Successfully Programmed..." before even doing the remote training. Useless. Looks like Tesla will have to send a mobile tech up here to fix it.

I cleaned off all of the dirt off the driver's seat and detailed the rest of the interior that Tesla forgot to do before returning the car to me. Took a couple of hours. Tesla offered to pay for a professional detail, but I ended up just doing it myself and putting a nanocoat on the white interior too. It's flawless inside now. Seats are all perfect.

But...HomeLink won't program at all. Just says "Successfully Programmed..." before even doing the remote training. Useless. Looks like Tesla will have to send a mobile tech up here to fix it.
Really sorry about all the issues you had. Glad things are finally looking up!
The HomeLink issue seems to be popping up more frequently with people. Hoping its SW, not HW...

Really sorry about all the issues you had. Glad things are finally looking up!
The HomeLink issue seems to be popping up more frequently with people. Hoping its SW, not HW...

Same. It's skipping the entire programming set up. After typing in a name and hitting whatever button is supposed to take me to the next screen, it proclaims programming was a success without ever programming anything. Frustrating, especially since it's been two months since I reported it the first time and with others having the same issue, you'd think Tesla would have fixed it ASAP.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Tesla still has no idea where the registration/plates are for my car. I've asked approximately 20x, and the service center always says someone will call me about it. I got a lovely interrogation crossing into Canada about the fact that my car has no plates, no temp registration, and no actual registration docs. I was certain I was about to be turned around, and then I quipped "This is par for the course for Tesla" and the border agent laughed and said he has seen the news about Tesla and then let me through.

Well, I am back.

First, the Homelink still would not program after the last service center visit (simply skipped over the programming screens and claimed success), so a mobile tech was sent up a week ago to fix that. He got it programmed, and he also showed me how to override the falcon doors to open all the way based on location since the driver's side door always stopped rising a foot, and I'd have to hold the open button for a while to get it open the rest of the way. We tried it, but it still was stopping, but the tech thought it was because the car was parked on a slight slope (....really?).

A few hours later, I parked in the garage and tried to door. It opened a foot like always. I did the override on the screen, held the open button up multiple times until it beeped and said saved, and tried the door a couple times. During one of the opening tests, something snapped in the middle hinge of the door and I heard what sounded like a piece of metal fall...possibly inside the door? The door was then stuck raised up about a foot, and none of the buttons would do anything. I called roadside. While sitting on hold for an hour, the car momentarily showed an error message that the low voltage battery was about to die. Roadside answered, and they told me they could not help and that they would have the service center call first thing in the morning. Sometime during my conversation with roadside, the error message about the battery went away. The service center never called, so I reached out to them a day later. They asked me to push down on the door in an attempt to close it so I could drive it to the service center. I pushed down on the door, as instructed, and something else popped in the hinge and the door free fell straight down and hit the door threshold (where the latch is)....HARD. Thankfully I did not have my hands under the door at the time. I picked up the door, and there was no resistance at all.

Tesla then sent the same tech back out (who has been to my home ~8x now and is fantastic). He said the two struts that hold the middle hinge probably broke and found a piece of plastic that had fallen into the cabin from one of the struts (they are made from plastic???). He got the door closed after disassembling it from the inside and said the car would be towed the next day to the service center because it was not safe to drive because he was concerned the door latch may not hold. Well, the "next day" was Friday....yesterday. Nobody ever came to tow the car. I sent a message to the service center at noon. No response still.

Funnily enough, a tech at the service center asked me a week ago why I had not lemoned the car yet. It seems headed that way right now. My wife's comment after the door free fell was "If that amount of pressure was all it took for the door to snap and fall down on you, why should we feel safe standing under it during strong winds while putting our kids inside?" Now I cannot get that thought out of my head.

• Informative
Reactions: Zedbox and henderrj