Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My dogs keep opening the windows!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Dog Mode, but often return from a short shopping stop to find the windows of my M3 rolled down! So far, the dogs haven't decided to jump out the window but it's very disconcerting. The window switches are on the arm rest and designed so a simple downward press opens the windows. They are located just where a dog would like to place its paws to look out the side windows. My other car requires a forward/backward press on the window switch, making it much less likely that the dogs are operating the windows.

Also, it doesn't seem that the window lock prevent the right seat passenger/dog from opening the windows.

I assume the switches are controlled by software and an update could provide a completely-locked window mode. It could be enabled by Dog Mode.

Get a seat belt tether strap that plugs into the seat belt latch and attaches to the dog’s collar or harness. Helps keep the dog safe in the event of a sudden stop or accident. It won’t keep him from opening the window, but at least he won’t be able to jump out. Better, IMO, use a tether in the back seat. Wife and I transport rescue dogs about twice a week, and if they are not in crates then they are tethered. Dangerous to have a loose dog in the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie
Why aren't your dogs wearing seat belts?

First, dogs should NEVER ride in the front seat. Like children, dogs will be severely injured, or killed by your airbags. NEVER allow your pet to ride in the front seat... Second, these tethers, & harnesses will catastrophically fail, causing the dog to be thrown thru the windshield, or into other passengers in the car.
CPS Certified - Center for Pet Safety

Last edited:
Do you still have this problem? I've made a 3d-printed cover myself so that my dog cannot press the button

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 11.22.24 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 11.22.27 PM.jpeg

We just went to the park, and my wife's little poodle opened the window again when putting her paws on the armrest to look thru the window. It's not that the dogs know how to open a window (at least initially), but that the switch is in the 'wrong' spot, and very easy to trip by a little paw. But yes, dog mode should automatically disable rear windows.

I'm glad to read that window lock only works on rear windows. Will lock them tomorrow, and problem solved :).

This is amazing! Exactly what I am looking for, my dog keeps rolling down the window. Would you might sharing the plans?

icaruslai posted it here:​

I love Dog Mode, but often return from a short shopping stop to find the windows of my M3 rolled down! So far, the dogs haven't decided to jump out the window but it's very disconcerting. The window switches are on the arm rest and designed so a simple downward press opens the windows. They are located just where a dog would like to place its paws to look out the side windows. My other car requires a forward/backward press on the window switch, making it much less likely that the dogs are operating the windows.

Also, it doesn't seem that the window lock prevent the right seat passenger/dog from opening the windows.

I assume the switches are controlled by software and an update could provide a completely-locked window mode. It could be enabled by Dog Mode.
I agree. This needs an update so the dog cannot open the window. My dog opened the window today and jumped out. Fortunately, the car was parked. I was NOT in dog mode, but there should be a way to lock the front passenger window. If we were driving, this could have been deadly.