Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My door handle is stuck -- What do I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

I noticed this just now on my Tesla. The door handle on the right rear side isn't folding out like usual. My car is unlocked, and all the others are working. I can only open it from the inside though. It is also making a grinding noise. I'm guessing that it is the cold but does anyone have other ideas?
IMG_0790.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 409
Reactions: Knox
Most likely a door handle failure where the wire has worn from the handle going in and out. I had mine replaced 3 months ago. It was a pain due to the fact that it was the front drivers door. I had to leave the window open in the garage at home or go through the passenger side to open the window in order to open the door from the inside when not at home. Took them a couple of hours to replace mine.

I noticed this just now on my Tesla. The door handle on the right rear side isn't folding out like usual. My car is unlocked, and all the others are working. I can only open it from the inside though. It is also making a grinding noise. I'm guessing that it is the cold but does anyone have other ideas?View attachment 271370
I had the exact same thing happen a couple of years ago. You can pop out the handle using a card and then put a piece of string behind the handle and let it close. You can use the string to open and close. You will then want to leave your keys out of range and pull on the handle and play with it. You are not trying to open the door. You are trying to get the motor to catch the handle and stop running. I was able to do it with no problems. If you don't get the handle motor to stop it will keep running.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I had two of mine fail in the last couple of months - first the drivers and then the drivers side rear - my car is just under three years old so still under warranty. Those two doors are used WAY more often than the other side. Took about 90 minutes at the service centre.

Why would you even try to do this yourself (unless you were far from a Service Centre)? Isn’t pretty much everyone still under warranty?