Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My door handle is stuck -- What do I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your car is about five months younger than mine. I wonder if they tend to fail after a certain number of deployments.

My car has relatively light mileage at 37,000km so for a 3 year old car it hasn't seen a ton of usage and likely fewer deployments than the average Model S.

Anyone else have this issue with their 2-3 year old Model S?

Just got my driver door handle replaced under warranty. The solenoid was malfunctioning.

When I called they told me I could drive in anytime, so I arrived at Ferrier 2 hours later and 1hr10 minutes later the job was completed and I had the keys in my hands and back on the road.

The folks at MTL-Ferrier rock!

Yeah, it improved a lot since about 1 year. Before that, they looked like they were constantly overloaded, but the service has always been good, as far as I experienced. Maybe it was the time when they had to change so many drive units, main relays, et al. I think that many troubles have quietly been solved on the production during the last couple of years, and the new cars are more reliable, except maybe for the door handles ;-).

Ok so that handle went bad again. I'm out of warranty so I followed RiverBrick's advice and went to Simon André Automobiles to get it repaired (also replaced both front upper ball joints as well)

This handle is a new generation and the tech hadn't seen one of those yet. Basically the microswitch is integrated and cannot really fail out of wear as no wires are exposed anymore. Only the paddle gear could fail, but according to the tech who showed it to me, the assembly quality is improved and the gear is metallic now.

So it seems as though the problem I have which would've been the microswitch if it were an older generation handle assembly could now be repaired OTA by simply resync'ing the door handle. At least that is what the tech will try to do with his contacts at Tesla. That would be way ahead of what I've seen so far when I contacted Tesla Service about exactly this possibility...

We'll see how this unfolds...

Ok so that handle went bad again. I'm out of warranty so I followed RiverBrick's advice and went to Simon André Automobiles to get it repaired (also replaced both front upper ball joints as well)

This handle is a new generation and the tech hadn't seen one of those yet. Basically the microswitch is integrated and cannot really fail out of wear as no wires are exposed anymore. Only the paddle gear could fail, but according to the tech who showed it to me, the assembly quality is improved and the gear is metallic now.

So it seems as though the problem I have which would've been the microswitch if it were an older generation handle assembly could now be repaired OTA by simply resync'ing the door handle. At least that is what the tech will try to do with his contacts at Tesla. That would be way ahead of what I've seen so far when I contacted Tesla Service about exactly this possibility...

We'll see how this unfolds...
Ok so the handle OTA fix is a fail. Apparently at Tesla they remotely see the three original handles, but the driver's handle is apparently unable to communicate. So I'm not getting around a complete replacement, which is a shame as this handle assembly is 14 months old and jeeeust out of warranty.

At least, the price has significantly lowered: handle assembly now priced at 350$ as quoted to me by Simon André auto. The reason for this lowered cost is partly because the new handle assembly is a plug and play whereas old assemblies apparently required retrofits and new wire hanesses, etc.

It looks as though these guys can perform extensive repairs on Teslas so I might just head their way by default now instead of wasting energy with the *excellent* service I've been getting lately from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick