Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a data point for anyone wondering. My Y is now over 9 months old. I don't use car washes, just hand wash with chemical brothers foam and chemical brothers citris wash, same as I did my 3. Just checked and there's no discoloration on my trim. Those touchless washes are really terrible, people don't realize how caustic that soap is. Additionally, you never know if it is being mixed properly.

For what it's worth - I asked the founder of the large regional "light touch" car wash in the PNW about the possible discoloration and here's his response:

Thank you for your email. For the last 30 years our mission has been to develop safe Cleaning products for your car, our employees and the environment. The Kaady Chemical car wash shampoo used in the Kaady wash process to wash your car has a PH of 11. and is non-corrosive, free of caustics, acids and phosphates. We are continually searching for the latest technology to incorporate into our formulas. I'm sure you have noticed the brilliant shine of your car after washing. I would like to bring to your attention that most touchless car washes ( high pressure water ) use a two step chemical application. High PH is usually caustic based ( corrosive ) with a PH around 13. and a low PH acid around 1-2. in a lot of cases Hydrofluoric or Ammonium Bi Fluoride.

Living in the rainy, muddy, but beautiful PNW I've always been okay with the cons of using a "light touch" carwash. I've washed my new black Model Y PUP twice now with no discoloration or any issues at all.
^^THIS^^

I live in the West Portland area also, and the Kaady Carwash representative is absolutely correct with this statement.
People are seeing the downside of touchless carwashes. They have to "make up" for not touching your car by using stronger chemicals which can potentially damage some car's exterior components.
Kaady has the advantage of not only using their own chemicals, but they also use the highest quality mitters in their washes, and they maintain their equipment.
Great post Jacko

^^THIS^^

I live in the West Portland area also, and the Kaady Carwash representative is absolutely correct with this statement.
People are seeing the downside of touchless carwashes. They have to "make up" for not touching your car by using stronger chemicals which can potentially damage some car's exterior components.
Kaady has the advantage of not only using their own chemicals, but they also use the highest quality mitters in their washes, and they maintain their equipment.
Great post Jacko

Oof, HF is going to attack your glass...

^^THIS^^

Great post Jacko
Just to clarify - the "representative" was Mr Kaady. Very refreshing to get a response from the owner.

I have had the same problem with my Tesla Y. Mine was this way when I picked it up at the dealership. Tesla refuses to replace because I did not report it before driving it 100 miles and they also claim that it was caused by an automatic carwash. I agree this should not happen to a $70K+ car. I've owned Porches, Audis and BMWs. In each case, the service department would go out of their way to make sure I was satisfied. I will never buy another Tesla.

I have had the same problem with my Tesla Y. Mine was this way when I picked it up at the dealership. Tesla refuses to replace because I did not report it before driving it 100 miles and they also claim that it was caused by an automatic carwash. I agree this should not happen to a $70K+ car. I've owned Porches, Audis and BMWs. In each case, the service department would go out of their way to make sure I was satisfied. I will never buy another Tesla.
Audi and Porsche have some EVs on the market now that you might be interested in.

Reactions: Chiefsfan
I have the car in for a windshield replacement and I asked them to look at the discolored trim. They said it's a own issue but not covered. I can purchase new trim pieces for $79.30 per piece. Guess I'll just live with it since there's no long term solution.

Audi and VW have been using rubber windshield trim for the last 10 years that discolors far worse than the Tesla metal trim, and discolors in a way that is not preventable. By all accounts it seems like the Tesla trim issue is both fixable and avoidable. I had it happen once when I used a cheaper car wash shampoo on hot trim, and it wiped off. It has never happened with my preferred soaps.

Reactions: Peelz
9+ months old and I have washed/detailed my Y with nothing but ZAINO products. Specifically their Z-7™ Show Car Wash

Notice the chemical properties.

Results after almost 10 months and multiple washings.

MZwutO7.jpg

The first staining incident with me was when a shop gave me a "courtesy wash". After various attempts and then referring to this thread I finally removed the stains with some stainless steel cleaner and a melamine sponge (lightly) and it never returned and has no protective coating on it. I've been using Macguire's, The Last Coat, and Chemical Brother's washes and the problem hasn't returned. I see it as a harsh chemicals issue more than a door trim issue. There's nothing wrong with anodized aluminum.

Argh, discovered this thread after taking my Model 3 through a touchless wash for the first time. I just tried WD-40, so we’ll see how long it lasts. Going with the Weiman’s after that. This is really frustrating. I wish I would have known about this prior to my moment of weakness/laziness. If nothing else I wish Tesla would publicize this more, or just fix the problem.

Argh, discovered this thread after taking my Model 3 through a touchless wash for the first time. I just tried WD-40, so we’ll see how long it lasts. Going with the Weiman’s after that. This is really frustrating. I wish I would have known about this prior to my moment of weakness/laziness. If nothing else I wish Tesla would publicize this more, or just fix the problem.
Whats your vin#? wondering if this is still an issue with newer Ys...

+1

I have 11 months with Meguiar's Gold and Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and my trim also looks like this.

9+ months old and I have washed/detailed my Y with nothing but ZAINO products. Specifically their Z-7™ Show Car Wash

Notice the chemical properties.

Results after almost 10 months and multiple washings.

MZwutO7.jpg