Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Door Trim Discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's BS. I own a touchless carwash and we test PH regularly. Low PH goes on first at 3.5 followed by High PH at 12.5...Net 9.0 PH on car. The black trim on my early 2021 Model 3 still discolors. If you notice later 2021 Model 3's, Tesla has changed the trim and it does not discolor. They SHOULD be replacing this at NO COST to the customer. Meanwhile Back to Black restores the original finish which is something we should NOT have to do!
I have a 2022 M3 and it does in fact have discoloration!

Tesla Service center took my car to the touchless car wash. When I got car back, it had the same patterns and discoloration seen within the photos on this thread. I was able to wipe it off with microfiber cloth on one side of car. Then I got distracted and didn’t get around to cleaning off other side. I took car to a detailer to get car washed and they got trim looking black again. Not sure what they did.

Tesla Service center took my car to the touchless car wash. When I got car back, it had the same patterns and discoloration seen within the photos on this thread. I was able to wipe it off with microfiber cloth on one side of car. Then I got distracted and didn’t get around to cleaning off other side. I took car to a detailer to get car washed and they got trim looking black again. Not sure what they did.

Let me get this straight. In L.A., where tons of Teslas are, and Tesla employees all know too well about the trim discoloration issue and probable causes... they took your car to a touchless wash? That is awful!

Let me get this straight. In L.A., where tons of Teslas are, and Tesla employees all know too well about the trim discoloration issue and probable causes... they took your car to a touchless wash? That is awful!
Yes correct. My car is a 2022 MYP built 12/2021. In Los Angeles, Tesla service centers wash on site or do not wash at all. When I took my car there they told me they do not provide car wash services on site due to some issue with city permits. Therefore, I should expect to not receive a cleaned car. I was fine with that. However, my car ended up being there for 1 month parked next to the busiest freeway in California and it was caked with grim. I saw the car when picking up a loaner & it was filthy after 2 weeks. Tesla felt bad about this and was pretty keen on having the car cleaned. They even mentioned it was touchless & not the type which would scratch up the paint. I had read that touchless was preferred over the older car washes with the machine driven brushes so I said ok. I guess the service center was unaware that the touchless wash would near them would cause the discoloration. I’ll message them so they know.

Yes correct. My car is a 2022 MYP built 12/2021. In Los Angeles, Tesla service centers wash on site or do not wash at all. When I took my car there they told me they do not provide car wash services on site due to some issue with city permits. Therefore, I should expect to not receive a cleaned car. I was fine with that. However, my car ended up being there for 1 month parked next to the busiest freeway in California and it was caked with grim. I saw the car when picking up a loaner & it was filthy after 2 weeks. Tesla felt bad about this and was pretty keen on having the car cleaned. They even mentioned it was touchless & not the type which would scratch up the paint. I had read that touchless was preferred over the older car washes with the machine driven brushes so I said ok. I guess the service center was unaware that the touchless wash would near them would cause the discoloration. I’ll message them so they know.
That is interesting. Mine discoloration issues first appeared when the Tesla SC returned my car after a local Tesla-certified body shop repaired a bad door ding I noted on initial delivery. The car was certainly clean, but the trim was never the same.

It’s gotta be the tri color wash they do. I was able to remove it all with a microfiber cloth and then put ceramic clothing on it.
I'm late to this thread but googled because after using the Holiday in Buffalo, MN - most basic wash - I saw the dreaded swirls and freaked out! I read/heard about WD-40 so used that and it worked. Call Tesla in Rogers and they suggested Meguiars. Going to see if I can buy some and have in the car. Good Lord this car is high maintenance. Side note - with you guys being here in MN...what's it's like having one of these in Minnesota winter? I'm SCARED.

I'm late to this thread but googled because after using the Holiday in Buffalo, MN - most basic wash - I saw the dreaded swirls and freaked out! I read/heard about WD-40 so used that and it worked. Call Tesla in Rogers and they suggested Meguiars. Going to see if I can buy some and have in the car. Good Lord this car is high maintenance. Side note - with you guys being here in MN...what's it's like having one of these in Minnesota winter? I'm SCARED.
Get some good snow tires (xIce SNOW or Blizzaks or VikingContact) and it’ll be awesome.

I live in Wisconsin. Best bet is proper snow tires. I use Blizzaks. If you can't do that, get some snow rated (not just all season) all weather tires like Vredestein or Michelins.