Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Eating Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the one option I can think of is to ease up on the driving... less aggressive acceleration, braking, steering, etc. All of those will wear down tires less if you can ease up on them.

But I'll be honest, I'd be a hypocrite if I earnestly suggested that, I drive spiritedly at all time after all (to the detriment of the crap constantly rocking around in the back).

Are you getting uneven wear? What tire pressure are you using?

I don't have personal experience to share yet, but I was talking to a service team lead about tire longevity on the MY and he mentioned tire pressure was important. He suggested 45psi instead of 42 was better for tire life but you sacrifice comfort.

What part of the tread is wearing out the most? Is it the inside, outside or pretty evenly?

Best tips I can give you are:
Check inflation pressure frequently.
Rotate your tires.
Check for any abnormal wear patterns
Check the alignment

Let’s talk about the driving aspect of the circuit. My experience has shown that if you don’t hammer it initially off the line but sort of roll into it so you don’t hit full throttle till about 10 or 15 miles an hour, you will greatly extend the life of your tires.

If you do full throttle launches all the time, it’s going to shred those tires pretty quickly. I have learned that I spent more money per mile for tires and I do electricity. It’s just a hidden cost of Teslas if you drive them even somewhat enthusiastically.

Big one is alginment! Always get an alginment before you get a new set of tires...especially if you drive over rough roads frequently. Also, frequently check and adjust tire pressure to the pressure recommended on the driver door.

Perform a wheel alignment when you purchase new tires.
Maintain recommended tire pressure (42 PSI) measured cold; +/- 2 to 3 PSI is OK.
Rotate tires (front to back) as noted in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual; every 6250 miles (10,000 km) or when tread depth varies by more than 2/32nd inch front to back.
Launch gently to get maximum life from the tires.

Rotate tires (front to back) as noted in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual;
I am going to disagree with my friend on this one. You should rotate the tires as recommended by the Tire Manufacturer - almost all tire manufacturers recommend a cross-rotation unless the Tires are directional. You see, Tesla mobile service can only rotate tires front to back because they do not carry enough equipment to do a proper cross-rotation. So if the manual suggested a cross-rotation there would a lot of questions for mobile service to answer.

There is nothing wrong with a front to back rotation, but a cross-rotation is better.

Reactions: Noflash
Whoa there! Seriously? 10k miles on your tires and only showing 1/32" wear? How are you managing that?
Car came with the Micheline AS tires, and I do drive fast, I mean I rarely get passed by any car on the road, but I don't launch at the light. I am really gentle at the light and build momentum and go.
Please see blow for my previous post on other thread.
Thanks for the correction. Just checked again, and it was between 8.4-8.7 ish.

View attachment 909744

2020 MY with 20's is going through tires about every 10 - 15k. Does anyone have some tips to prevent MY from eating tires so frequently?

Our 2021 MY has over 35,000 miles on the original 19" Continentals. The tread depth averages a little over 6/32". I don't drive very aggressively and about half of those miles are from road trips.

Oh, and I rotated once at about 18,000 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
  • I know my driving is probably the main cause as I am typically first off the line and bank the corners hard.
  • I have the OEM Goodyear 255/40R/20 All Season
  • I rotate every 6k - 8k
  • I keep PSI around 40 to smooth out the ride.
  • Original suspension.
  • The rear shred more than the front.
I put on new tires 10K ago, took it in last week because I had a slow leak and to rotate (mostly because I was 3K behind). They came back and said the rear were at 3 and the front were at 5 and they recommended swapping both rear to prevent my TCS from going off due to the different thicknesses.

As others have said, I think it's the hidden cost of driving Electric. No gas/oil but tires, oh my!

• Disagree
Reactions: Eto Demerzel