Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My email to Tesla regarding the P3D+ $5k loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original delivery date was 10/2 are you suggesting that I should get penalized for not being within 30 days because I was doing tesla favor by receiving delivery earlier to meet Q3 sales?

You know I have no problem with your overall message. But crap like ‘I was doing Tesla a favor’ really does incense me. Makes me want to say nasty things... from which I will refrain. Honestly, Tesla does not need your favors. Resolve this issue best as you can and move on.

As a Tesla supporter who volunteered to help with deliveries at the Brandon delivery center on 9/29 to help with big Q3 push I’m extremely upset
What, you volunteered for a multi billion dollar company and now you`re upset that they act like a multi billion dollar company because you think you`re entitled to something?

Oh booo-ho.....

Anyone who has bought a BMW M3, or for that mater any BMW, Audi or Merc, recently probably saw value of theirs drop too.

BTW Tesla has not officially announced anything yet. Everything at this moment is just speculation based on Elon's one tweet to one person.

Anyone who has bought a BMW M3, or for that mater any BMW, Audi or Merc, recently probably saw value of theirs drop too.

BTW Tesla has not officially announced anything yet. Everything at this moment is just speculation based on Elon's one tweet to one person.

To be fair, it was to multiple people and more than one tweet. One of the others who was offered an exchange ($5K for Supercharging) is a forum member here.

I think a lot of people are losing sight of the offer: Elon suggested the price drop was "Arguably, too much too soon." He noted that the early adopters got Free Supercharging (which he also noted was worth more than $2,000.)

The offer was to exchange one item of value (Free Lifetime Supercharging) for another ($5,000 cash). It was not a refund or cost reduction. Elon made the argument that the price drop was offset specifically by the Free Lifetime Supercharging. It would be no different if he offered to buy back "Free Premium Connectivity" for $2,000. Or, if all early owners got a free gold plated spoiler and he offered to purchase them back for $5,000 each. No doubt he was factoring in goodwill to make early adopters happy as well.

Personally, I think it was more generous than it needed to be, especially based on the average use of Supercharging and the fact it doesn't transfer to new owners. But let's not make this into a "$5000 rebate." This is not comparable to a price drop from BMW or Mercedes. If it's offered like Elon suggested on Twitter, it's an exchange between two things of value.

The offer was to exchange one item of value (Free Lifetime Supercharging) for another ($5,000 cash). It was not a refund or cost reduction. Elon made the argument that the price drop was offset specifically by the Free Lifetime Supercharging.

I agree with you, that appears to be the offer that he made. However, there's a big problem with this that no one has mentioned here or over in the 44-page thead.

Not every P3D has free unlimited supercharging. Free unlimited supercharging was offered for the performance Model 3 with a referral code, up until September 15th. Elon made an exception via tweet to extend the offer to 9/18 because some people's referral links weren't working.

On 9/21, Tesla annouced that inventory S, X, and P3D vehicles that you could take delivery of before 9/30 (end of Q3) would have FUSC with a referral code.

I ordered my P3D+ on 9/26 without a referral code. This was after 9/18, so not eligible for FUSC under that program, and it was not an inventory vehicle so not eligible for FUSC with the end-of-quarter referral program. It was delivered 10/8. I should also mention that this order was from a day 1 reservation anyway, so I don't even think I'm eligible to use a referral link at all.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of P3D's (+ and -) that don't have the FUSC to "trade" for the discount.

Now, let me be clear that I don't feel that Tesla owes me anything. I got the exact car I wanted for the price I agreed to pay, end of story. And I'm fine with exactly that.

What I would not be fine with is some sort of deal for some people and not others that is solely dependent on WHEN you bought your P3D or whether you clicked a certain link.

Reactions: CullinKin
What I would not be fine with is some sort of deal for some people and not others that is solely dependent on WHEN you bought your P3D or whether you clicked a certain link.
But that is exactly how deals in general works though. Deals are almost always depended on when you buy something and it usually comes with the requirement of doing something like clicking on a link or submitting a coupon.

I know it's not the same, but no one seems to mind when the price of a phone drops 50% after 6 months of being released. It sucks to be the person who pays full price right before the price drops occurs, but it happens.

But that is exactly how deals in general works though. Deals are almost always depended on when you buy something and it usually comes with the requirement of doing something like clicking on a link or submitting a coupon.

I know it's not the same, but no one seems to mind when the price of a phone drops 50% after 6 months of being released. It sucks to be the person who pays full price right before the price drops occurs, but it happens.

You purchased the car for a price that you felt was acceptable at that point in time. Prices change. Sorry.

I said in my post that I was perfectly happy with my car and it's price. And I'm fine with the current price change of $5K less. No problem there either, as prices change all the time.

But look at what could happen here: People who purchased a P3D back in July or August could end up getting some sort of deal that wouldn't be offered to others who purchased more recently. Are you saying it would be fair to retroactively apply a price change to people who purchased 90 days ago, but not to people who purchased 15 days ago? That, to me, appears to be a problem.

Now, I believe my concern may be moot after all, since Elon tweeted this on 10/26:

screen-shot-2018-10-31-at-9-28-43-am-png.348628

This implies that my P3D would be getting FUSC retroactively anyway, thus placing all P3Ds including mine in the same group.

Again, I don't feel that I should get some sort of deal at all, but if there is one, it should apply to all P3Ds regardless of anything else. The price drop affected the value of all P3D's, not just some.

I find it interesting and sad that most comments here are the opposite of this thread Performance Upgrade Price Change!

If you want to find the answer why, take a look at the tone of your OP vs the comments in the one you linked.

This OP comes off as very entitled and doesn't make a good case of why you deserve the supercharging for life AND the rebate. You seem to be hung up on the fact that Tesla 'awarded' you for using the referral program. They give that to everyone, but use it as a tool to help people use referrals. The real awards for the referral program go to those that refer aka sell the cars.

Buying a Tesla is like buying a computer, for better and for worse. You aren't going to get much sympathy here with this "let me talk to your manager" attitude, especially after a generous offer has already been made by Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I said in my post that I was perfectly happy with my car and it's price. And I'm fine with the current price change of $5K less. No problem there either, as prices change all the time.

But look at what could happen here: People who purchased a P3D back in July or August could end up getting some sort of deal that wouldn't be offered to others who purchased more recently. Are you saying it would be fair to retroactively apply a price change to people who purchased 90 days ago, but not to people who purchased 15 days ago? That, to me, appears to be a problem.

Now, I believe my concern may be moot after all, since Elon tweeted this on 10/26:

screen-shot-2018-10-31-at-9-28-43-am-png.348628

This implies that my P3D would be getting FUSC retroactively anyway, thus placing all P3Ds including mine in the same group.

Again, I don't feel that I should get some sort of deal at all, but if there is one, it should apply to all P3Ds regardless of anything else. The price drop affected the value of all P3D's, not just some.
I think it's fair if you got what you agreed to at the time of purchase and any retroactive adjustment doesn't change that.

For example if you buy a first class ticket and you got the seat you paid for then it's fair. Just because someone else got a free upgrade doesn't make your purchase unfair.

• Love
When you purchase a car and sign the agreement, there is always a clause on there about there being no cooling off period. The second you sign and accept the car, the transaction is final. Either way. The 5k refund for giving up Supercharging is basically an above and beyond what Tesla has to do, which is nothing. At a regular car dealership customer A & B could be buying the same exact car with the same features and pay a different price because of negotiating skills. If customer B talks to customer A after both take delivery, neither have any legal way to demand a change in price.

• Love
I hate to say this, If my dad was still alive, he call some guys in here Kill-Joys, no matter how good something is, you have to find away to kill it, if they gave you 100 dollar bills, you would bitch they were wrinkled. I saved money for 35 years, I had to have car, mine was totaled, I knew nothing about Teslas, I saw one in the Kansas City Store, I had to have a car as soon as I could, they found me a new MS75, showroom car, got it in 10 days, and I spent all my 35 years of savings in one day, and it's the best money I have ever spent. I love my Tesla. So you bought something you wanted, and for some reason it got cheaper later, (there is noway I could count how many times that has happen to me) and they are going to give you money back, take that DEAL!!, it will mostly be the best DEAL you will ever get. I just hope with the money I'm trying to save now, I could do this again!!

Your car was worth $15k less the moment you signed the papers..

I’ll add that if anyone thinks your 2018 Tesla is going to hold value like prior ICE and EVs, I think you’re deluded. Tesla has proven the market for EVs, over the next 5+ years the pace of innovation in EV technology, especially with China’s focus, is going to make our 2018 models feel antiquated. Imagine in 2022 a 600 mile range Model 3 equivalent for $35K; how much would one pay then for our 310mi 2018?

Don’t buy Tesla because you think it’s going to hold value. Buy it becaue you love the car and believe in the mission.